collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wiring a pony for lights?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Wiring a pony for lights?
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »
I had a really ecxiting an idea for a pony (and now maybe two) but I need y'alls help with part of it. I would like to put a light inside of a G1. The way their plastic is, it would have a nice, soft glow.

So here are my questions:
where should I put the switch?
where should I put the cord? (I don't think battery power is an option, and a cord would fit the design, if it is necissary)
is there a way to make it so the bulb is replaceable?
what kind of light would be best?
and finally, what is the best way to go about this?

Offline carlabarla

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://seethecee.deviantart.com/
Re: Wiring a pony for lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
i would say use christmas lights, like the little led ones. stick the cord through a leg and cut a hole either on the side or through the bottom for it to come out of.
and unfortunately i cant help you with anything else.. but i cant wait to see it once you do figure it out :D

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
I haven't wired one yet...tho I have plans for one.

with the plastic you need to be sure that the lights you use don't get hot...otherwise you might have some melted pony, and thats bad

good luck!

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:04:48 AM »
I've been trying to figure this one out forever...looked up all sorts of instructables and I fail every attempt. Maybe someone experienced in this will help us out! *camps in thread*
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »
LEDs are the way to go: They don't get hot and rarely (if ever) need to be replaced.

Basic circuit running isn't all that hard once you know what goes IN to a circuit, I'm sure if you look it up you'll find more information on it than you know what to do with :)
:fox:

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:08 AM »
I don't know if she's on here, but a member on the TP makes light up TAF ponies out of G3s.  I bought 2 from her recently-

http://www.mlptp.net/forums/show-tell/93710-show-tell-taf-dancing-butterflies-sugarberry.html

she has the wiring go up through a leg, and the battery pack sits on the outside with a switch on it.  I know that's not the effect you're going for, but it could be a start :)
looking into a re-branding.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:27 AM »
I remember those TAF ponies! I wanted to do a certain kind of light-up pony myself but the way I'm going about it is a little... um... tricky. Since I don't know how to do circuit wiring for certain kinds of led lights, I had to get some non-exciting led micro christmas lights XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »
I love light-up ponies. I was sooo close to winning CSA's stunning Styling Christmas Custom. XD I also have plans to light up some ponies. Thanks for starting this thread, WP! I'm sure it will become a very useful one!! :cheer:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

jeapos88

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:31:45 AM »
here is a light up pony I made at Christmas, I ran the lights up through a hole in the foot of the pony then carefully pulled the lights out of the holes, I used the battery pack as a base, not sure if this is what you are looking for, hope it helps!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
where should I put the switch?  These days, a lot of light options have the switch built into the cord.  It makes it easy :)
where should I put the cord? (I don't think battery power is an option, and a cord would fit the design, if it is necissary) You can cut a discreet hold in one of the back legs.  It's a good idea to cut the hole out just above the hoof, that way the cord can come out with the pony is still flat on its hooves.
is there a way to make it so the bulb is replaceable?  Depends on the lights you are using.  If the pony's head isn't glued on, it should be fairly simple to pop off the head and change as necessary.
what kind of light would be best? LED for the win.  As mentioned above, they are small, bright, and cool in temperature (I ran a week long test on Glitter Ice and she never really got that warm)
and finally, what is the best way to go about this?  slowly.  Have you game plan and all the steps laid out.  Purchase your lights, bring them home and play around with them.  Think about every step before you start. 

Hope this helps a little, can't wait to see your custom, it a neat idea!

creampuf

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »
Cool! I've been hoping to do a light up pony for the Light it Up Autism Awareness Day! This info will definately help!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal