collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom newbie Q's  (Read 1916 times)

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
Custom newbie Q's
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »
Harro everypony!

Just a newbie here starting my first customs. A couple of simple questions I haven't been able to find answers for (probably because I'm useless at looking...)

Firstly: How on earth do I get the last few plugs out of a g3 Head? The ones at the base of the neck. I can just about rip them from the outside but with my forceps I simply can't get in close enough... do I need to chop off the neck ring?

Second Q - how do you re-hair a tail? With the G3's do I re-use the plastic bits I took out, or is it best to just glue it in? And with G1's? (Had a baity tootsie with tail rust which got removed...)

Thirdly, does anyone use Milliput for sculpting? I have used it on other makes and was wondering if anyone uses it on pony customs? Everyone seems to use apoxie, and I was wondering if I am doing the wrong thing with Milliput.

Lastly, do I need to seal my paint (acrylic), and if so can I use Scupley glaze?

Thanks for your time!

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Custom newbie Q's
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
Hello I am fairly new and hope to help though.

With the hair plugs get inventive, I pop the head in hot water, get a screwdriver and wiggle around to loosen them out and then forceps them out, the neck ones are tricky but practise makes perfect.

Tail, have a look in the tutorials, do you have snap ties as these are the easiest ways to make your own tail ends (will look for tutorial one mo)

I love Milliput for sculpting and it is all I have used, have a look at my DA link in siggy and anything sculpted has been with the basic Milliput. I cant get apoxie easily being UK and milliput is fantastic.

When painting on ponies need to seal to ensure it will last and paint wont come off as to the brand unsure. Is it for acrylic??

EDIT:
Tail Tutorial:
http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=262864.html

Brilliant source of step by step guides, highly recommended browsing as some have beginning to end guides

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,283445.0.html

Lastly I forgot to say welcome to customs and can not wait to see your first pony!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:59:56 AM by lilacamy931 »

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:32 AM »
Thank you very much for the prompt reply!  :blush:  And yes, I'll be painting with acrylics and possibly some old warhammer paints I have stashed away.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:04:29 AM by StrawberryMeadow »

lilacamy931

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
Ah good old warhammer paints, I acquire them from my partners drawer and they work great :) This community is so friendly and have been supportive throughout my learning curve, so much talent and information to hand across the board! If ever want to chat just drop me a pm :)

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you on that glaze. If you have warhammer supplies do you have their matte spray?(cant remember the name now) That has worked well for me on some ponies

Offline nuttertasha

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • nutter is me all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
hi welcome cant wait to see your first custom.

right i use mod podge to seal my paint and i know a few others do ive just started on mine and i had help from another custmizer hope that helps you out a bit  :biggrin:
Formally butterfly gypsie rose

jelzar

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
i have only used milliput as i'm in the uk and other thing are near impossible to get  (i'v ordered some epoxy online though, tiz on its way ^^) I find that its good for sculpting, you can see on my Da some examples...however i think that it can be a bit sticky and hard to smooth whilst working with but im sure thats just my technique haha

lilacamy931

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:59:37 AM »
mod podge is the most recommended though fairly expensive in UK, if after some, others kindly guided me to Amazon and Ebay :)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
The hair can be a nightmare to get out sometimes!  Boiling water, a screwdriver, forceps, and a lot of patience should do it though.  I find that the water loosens up the glue and I can sometimes scrape it off with the screwdriver.  Then I pull it from the inside with forceps while the plastic is soft.

For a tail, I basically use pop's tutorial.  I have fiddled with it a little to suit myself, but that's a perfect starting point.

I have used both apoxie sculpt and sculpey with success.  I like the apoxie because there's no baking.  Never tried milliput, so I can't give much input on that.

And I seal with mod podge  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
I use curved pliers to get the bottom hair plugs out- makes things a LOT easier. And I also use pop's tail method- so great and easy! :)

Disregard the Prologue

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »
Firstly: How on earth do I get the last few plugs out of a g3 Head? The ones at the base of the neck. I can just about rip them from the outside but with my forceps I simply can't get in close enough... do I need to chop off the neck ring?

weird! i always have issues with the hair at the top of the head -- near the ears o.o pliers usually do the trick for me....sometimes it takes a little bending and squishing of the neck ring --- but reattaching the head once you have removed the neckring can be a pain :/ so i always try to keep it on

Second Q - how do you re-hair a tail? With the G3's do I re-use the plastic bits I took out, or is it best to just glue it in? And with G1's? (Had a baity tootsie with tail rust which got removed...)

I use fishing line...thread it thru the tail (loop out back, end out thru neck hole) and fold the hair over the loop...pull on the ends and get the loop of hair out the neck hole. then i tie a zip-tie around the hair...then another around the loop. (similar to how the original tail looks) cut off the ends of the zip-ties and pull the tail into place :)

Thirdly, does anyone use Milliput for sculpting? I have used it on other makes and was wondering if anyone uses it on pony customs? Everyone seems to use apoxie, and I was wondering if I am doing the wrong thing with Milliput.
unfortunately i have no knowledge or experience with milliput :/

Lastly, do I need to seal my paint (acrylic), and if so can I use Scupley glaze? I don't know if sculpey glaze will work/effect the plastic, but it will be high gloss.
many people use modge podge (thinned)
I use Testors Dullcot -- works great and is a matte finish :)

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »
Thank you everypony for the replies. I'm off to put some dismembered heads into some hot water!

Good to know I'm not the only UK'er who has found Milliput easier to get hold of.  :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal