collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Things my eyes have seen on Taobao, Part 2  (Read 4999 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Things my eyes have seen on Taobao, Part 2
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
Hey guys, I just got a very INTERESTING (strange) G1 shirt off Taobao . . . you guys have to see this thing . . . :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUxFdAaLJk

Featuring Surprise and . . . treacle?  (Show time!)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Things my eyes have seen on Taobao, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
In regards to the tag, it doesn't have registered trademark symbols... So that's a bit of a red flag.

My tag that is similar also says My Little Pony brand. (brand in small letters under MLP). But it's a Japanese product, I'm not sure that matters.

I hate tags that look like the real thing. <_<
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »
Taobao is something else! There is always a surprise   :shocked: I've bought a few things on there, but it's kind of hard to buy using an agent from the US, plus their fees are a bit high.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:16:33 PM »
In regards to the tag, it doesn't have registered trademark symbols... So that's a bit of a red flag.

My tag that is similar also says My Little Pony brand. (brand in small letters under MLP). But it's a Japanese product, I'm not sure that matters.

There's another reason I think they might be legit, actually!  TSMLXLT is a brand name with their own chain of stores and I found an article in Chinese talking about how they would be collaborating with Hasbro.  The article also mentioned Wanaccessory's Hasbro collaboration, which is definitely legit, so I am thinking the TSMLXLT one likely is too.

Here's the Google Translate version of part of the article.  Er . . . you tried, Google Translate, you tried.

As one of Hasbro’s most popular women’s brands, Pony Pony combines the “girl heart” and “ fashion sense”, especially the retro image of Pony Pony, which has been favored by young women with today’s aesthetic trend. A series of cross-border derivative products have been launched continuously, capturing the “girl hearts” of batches of fashionable people.

The local tide brand TSMLXLT has developed a group of fantasy girls’ adult women’s clothing based on the retro image of Pony Pony in the 1980s. These “salt and sweet” autumn wears let you quickly become a sweet and cool girl.

Fairies in the “horse ring” should all know that TSMLXLT has created a Pony-themed marketing campaign this summer. Fairies who have been to the site have been crazy to call: What are you waiting for, buy it! The eye-catching theme window layout is simply Punching Holy Land, I heard that punching photos burst your circle of friends?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:18:22 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »

There's another reason I think they might be legit, actually!  TSMLXLT is a brand name with their own chain of stores and I found an article in Chinese talking about how they would be collaborating with Hasbro.  The article also mentioned Wanaccessory's Hasbro collaboration, which is definitely legit, so I am thinking the TSMLXLT one likely is too.

Here's the Google Translate version of part of the article.  Er . . . you tried, Google Translate, you tried.

As one of Hasbro’s most popular women’s brands, Pony Pony combines the “girl heart” and “ fashion sense”, especially the retro image of Pony Pony, which has been favored by young women with today’s aesthetic trend. A series of cross-border derivative products have been launched continuously, capturing the “girl hearts” of batches of fashionable people.

The local tide brand TSMLXLT has developed a group of fantasy girls’ adult women’s clothing based on the retro image of Pony Pony in the 1980s. These “salt and sweet” autumn wears let you quickly become a sweet and cool girl.

Fairies in the “horse ring” should all know that TSMLXLT has created a Pony-themed marketing campaign this summer. Fairies who have been to the site have been crazy to call: What are you waiting for, buy it! The eye-catching theme window layout is simply Punching Holy Land, I heard that punching photos burst your circle of friends?

:haha:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
well, a lot of the things sold on Taobao and Ali are grey market items. It's a marketplace of sellers, and sellers may or may not be authorized resellers of products or brands. There certainly are a lot of counterfeits out there running around - if they don't advertise the name brand, or have a mis-spelled variant of the name brand, it's a clue.

You get the fakies that are clearly fake and inspired by the real thing, but they don't pretend to be the real deal in the first place. But then you can run into branded items that are either counterfeit or gray market that have some variation of the official, copyrighted / TM logo and brand name on them.

Sometimes sellers will pick up discarded seconds of legit items, sometimes they'll manufacture replicas using genuine patterns / materials or pilfered accouterments, some are made from the same factories or production lines as their "genuine" counterparts, sometimes they're the real deal either legitimately acquired or not-so-legitimately acquired. Unless the seller admits straight up it's a replica (which some do) or something is so badly done there's no mistaking it, you can't always be sure. The fun stuff are the franken-items which are a combination of authentic and counterfeit parts puzzled together.

Sadly, there are a lot of independent artists in the pony community and for other things whose work is stolen from DA or Art Station and emblazoned without authorization on clothes and products and sold on these sites. Takedowns and infringement claims are not easy to manage even for the big brands, so independent artists have a much greater challenge to protect their work.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Yeah, tons of Moschino fakes on Taobao!  And artwork stole from fans.  But I do think the TSMLXLT products are legitimate.  The Surprise shirt stands out because it's so odd, but most of their stuff nails it.

One of the specific reasons I think they're legit is they also have licensed Monopoly, Mr. Potato Head, NERF, and Lost Kitties shirts (all Hasbro properties) and I can't see a bootlegger organically choosing all those brands, you know what I mean?  Like making a bootleg NERF gun, sure, but not an expensive hoodie.  And the odds of a bootlegger stumbling across the "Lost Kitties" properties seems astronomical to me.  (Probably some bootlegger has before . . . but have they done it while also making NERF shirts?)  Definitely seems like the product of a deal with Hasbro.

But enough chitchat, let's look at another shirt!  Unfortunately this one isn't on Taobao (yet?) or I would have ordered it in an instant.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
Yeah, tons of Moschino fakes on Taobao!  And artwork stole from fans.  But I do think the TSMLXLT products are legitimate.  The Surprise shirt stands out because it's so odd, but most of their stuff nails it.

One of the specific reasons I think they're legit is they also have licensed Monopoly, Mr. Potato Head, NERF, and Lost Kitties shirts (all Hasbro properties) and I can't see a bootlegger organically choosing all those brands, you know what I mean?  Like making a bootleg NERF gun, sure, but not an expensive hoodie.  And the odds of a bootlegger stumbling across the "Lost Kitties" properties seems astronomical to me.  (Probably some bootlegger has before . . . but have they done it while also making NERF shirts?)  Definitely seems like the product of a deal with Hasbro.

But enough chitchat, let's look at another shirt!  Unfortunately this one isn't on Taobao (yet?) or I would have ordered it in an instant.

I want this for the sheer comedic value
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:06:07 PM »
I'm laughing my head off at "Alicorn tosser"
should be perma-moderated

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 06:10:01 PM »

ANNIHILATOR. wow. I actually love this.

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »

I guess Glory is not a royalist.  BTW the text for the tail is "swishy swasher."  :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:28:53 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 06:45:11 PM »

I guess Glory is not a royalist.  BTW the text for the tail is "swishy swasher."  :P
Tossing alicorns doesn't necessarily mean "not a royalist" :P
After all, Shining Armor was hardly overthrowing Cadance when he tossed her at the Crystal Heart.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 06:55:57 PM »
Oh, so like part of an exercise routine! :P

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 06:56:39 PM »
Or an Olympic sport!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »

:rofl:

This shirt is funny  :lol: I can't decide if my favorite part is the alicorn tosser or the annihilator.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal