collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best way to condition a pony's mane and tail??  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to condition a pony's mane and tail??
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »
I use a flat iron on damp pony hair with a low heat :) I practiced on baits first to find the right setting that wasn't too high for their hair. If I use it on a pricy pony I may dial the heat down even more just to be safe.

Margos

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »
Yeah, I've had incredible luck with just water and conditioner.  I let it sit for about five minutes, rinse it out, and then brush it when the hair is still slightly moist.
Then, when it dries, it looks really stringy and weird.  I use my fingers to tease it out, and it fluffs up all nice, pretty, and smooth!

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
I've flat ironed perfume puff hair as well - just don't do it if you're not sure it's what you want! It gives the hair a very different look.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Dainty Dahlia had a lot of flat iron treatment. Sweet suds just got a very quick run through.

Ooo they look so pretty!!  I just got a Dainty Dahlia in a monster thrift store haul that in serious need of some love.  I think I'll try running the flat iron over her hair too.  How large of a section do you do at a time?

Oh! And I've always just used a curling iron to defrizz.  Same principle as a flat iron, make sure the hair is wet and has conditioner in it, reapply as necessary.  Only do small sections at a time...like a tail will probably have 8 or more sections depending on how bad the frizz is.  The more frizz, the more sections.  Use a fine tooth comb to get the hairs to lay straight in between for the best results.  But, with a curling iron, you need to be careful about how much pressure you're allowing to clamp down on the hair or it can cause crimps.  I usually will ease into the pressure as I'm going down the hair if that makes sense.

Another thing, you can successfully smooth princess pony tinsel, but the iridescent tinsel of G3s, G4s, and pony brides will get all curly.  I have some ideas of things I want to try, I just haven't had the time to experiment. 

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
I use water, conditioner (cheap stuff I got at a dollar store, works fine), a comb and a flat iron with adjustable settings :) The flat iron (picked mine up for ~$7) won't work on everything though. Beware of clear tinsel and some Nirvanas, they don't take heat very well, and I don't think I'd go near a Perfume Puff or ponies with crimped hair with it either, but overall it works pretty well on most ponies.

I do this too. If the hair is only a little bad, but not too much, i leave conditioner in the hair for a day and then wash it out with water. :) any conditioner will do.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
I use my straightener on dry pony hair and I've had better results than with the hair wet. Just don't risk using a straightener that doesn't have temperature settings since the default temperature will be way too hot and most likely melt the pony hair.
The only times I used the conditioner/straightener method it made it frizzier and melted it. I'm guessing it was up too high even though it was at the usual temperature I use it on for ponies, but I'm not sure the lower temperatures will do anything better. Time to test it out on a baity pony that's going to have a FBR anyways! :ninja:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
I worked in pretty small sections on Dahlia, I think. It was so long ago, I don't really remember. It took a while. The more times you run over the hair the smoother it gets

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »

You guys are all so awesome.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. :-)

:hope:

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
I like using Dove dishwashing soap for hair.  I've had absolutely wonderful results with washing their hair with a shower gel that has patchouli oil in it - amazingly shiny.  I've actually got a pair of Butterscotches that were washed in each, one with the Dove and the other with the shower gel, and the difference is crazy.

For conditioner, I use the thick cream that comes with boxes of hair dye, and comb it out.

Another thing, you can successfully smooth princess pony tinsel, but the iridescent tinsel of G3s, G4s, and pony brides will get all curly.  I have some ideas of things I want to try, I just haven't had the time to experiment. 

Oooh... teach me your ways!  I've got 3 Princesses sitting in a box because I absolutely hate their tinsel being all over the place.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
I use a TINY amount of armor-all, makes the hair very shiny

After seeing what this has done to the plastic interior of my car when the former owner put armor-all on it, I cannot recommend this. The plastic has cracked and peeled itself apart and my car is only 6 years old.

I really think regular moisturizing conditioner is the way to go. Anything else can leave a residue in the hair and degrade it over time. Heat styling also damages it. So if you're going to flat iron, make sure you've tried everything else you can think of first.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal