collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you re-buy your childhood ponies?  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Did you re-buy your childhood ponies?
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
I've seen several people mention that their childhood ponies were lost, given away, etc. as they "grew out of them" but then returned to pony collecting later.

When I started collecting G4s a little under a year ago I asked my parents about my old ponies I had left with them when I moved out but they can't find them and seem to remember giving them away.
I've considered re-buying the ones I can remember having but after picking up a couple G1s I found at a thrift store I realized I didn't love them as much as my G4s. I've pretty much decided that while I do feel nostalgic about the ones I once had I should just let them go and to only collect G4. (Though lately I have been considering maybe getting the G1s that the Mane 6 were based off of).
I wonder if most people who have had a gap in pony collecting such as mine make a point to re-buy their childhood ponies?
Does anyone else not have the desire to collect the gen. they grew up with?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:08:33 AM by 3377345 »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Did you re-buy your childhood ponies?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
I only had one pony as a kid (though I always wanted more) so of course I re-bought her as soon as I could. And her parents. And her sibling. And her american cousins XD I had baby sister apple delight when I was younger, and now I have both versions of the apple delight family, and also a family of customs! For me I just loved that little pony SO much and she was the only one I had so I knew instantly I wanted her back and I wanted to finally get her reunited with her whole family.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
I know what you mean! When I first got back into collecting ponies, I thought the G1s were a little... weirder-looking than I remembered, and vowed to only collect the G4s like you did. But later I received a Moondancer as a freebie from one of the lovely Arena members here, and I have to say she has pulled me back into the older style with her strange cuteness! Now I have three different G1s ^_^

You could always collect G4 customs of your childhood ponies. That seems like a nice compromise!

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »
I'm making a point to re-buy the ponies I either remember having, or remember really liking/wanting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
I grew up with G2, and my mum forced me to give all my ponies away when I moved a few years ago. When I got back into ponies, I thought G2's were a little weird looking (I started collecting G1, and G2's were soooo different!). I did receive a lot that had some of my childhood ponies in it, and I'm thinking about trying to find the rest of the ponies I remember having. :)

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
yes, I'm trying to find my childhood ponies now accually. As a new collector I was stupid and sold of some of my childhood ponies :'(
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »
I bought G1 Magic Star, which was a childhood pony in my family, but I dont plan on buying the Baby Nursery ballet set.  I think it came with beddy-bye eye babies. (which I'm surprised didn't scar me for life )

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
I may be odd, in that I have all my original MLPs (g1) from my childhood - however I would buy Remco fakies  to replace the ones that I had but I'm sure my mom got rid of at some point.

I also want to replace the Perm Shop since that was given away/tossed. Thankfully I was able to get a replacement for my Dream Castle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »
yes I re-bought all of my childhood ponies I grew up with. Though I don't think I will stop collecting anytime soon. I just love G1 ponies. :)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone! I wonder if I'll break and get them eventually  :P

Itajn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
I still have the only childhood G1 I can clearly remember, and that's Cherry Sweet. I think I've had collector's pose Posey, but her plastic was very thin and broke fast - she was a fakie, probably. As for others, memory is too vague - I could remember blue pegasus (Whind Whistler maybe?) and my mother remembers purple unicorn with ice cream symbol (just no idea). So I couldn't buy them even if I wanted.
I like G1 in general, but only generation I currently collect is G4.

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
Thankfully I still have my childhood Butterscotch, Cherries Jubilee and Parasol, but I bought my childhood grail Applejack, that my best friend had and that I desperately wanted.
But I bought my childhood Care Bears back on Ebay, and also am buying back my Charmkins and Strawberry Shortcake dolls too!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
I only kept one pony from childhood (Cotton Candy) and sold/gave away all the others (w/ loads of accessories, playsets--ugh) in the 90s.  I've repurchased some duplicates of my original ponies but not all of them.  The funny thing is that I got most of the duplicates around 1998-1999 (when I discovered eBay) so I've now had my new collection about 13-14 years--longer than I had the old one! 

Now the duplicates feel like the originals to the point where I doubt I'd upgrade any of them:)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
I still have most of my actual childhood ponies (I refused to give them away) but at one point my mom gave both mine and my older sister's to my younger sister, and she did what she's notorious for: lost some of them.  She gave them all to me later on when she was a teen, saying I'd love them more than her.  Most were still there, but a few were missing, only one of mine, but a few of my older sister's.  So far I've replaced the only one I was missing (tumbleweed) and most of my sister's, but I still need at least 2: SS truly and star hopper, and I think maybe jangles (whichever twin has the gold hair, I think I have like 3 of the white one lol.)  From there I've added on ones I like, and now have an army of north star; baby north star was my favorite as a kid, so now she's got 4 fuzzy mommies and a nss one too.  And a couple of g4 versions also ^^

Offline Mapago

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
I have kept most of my childhood ponies too, some of them went missing but were faily easy to replace

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal