collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A question about thinning a herd...  (Read 1101 times)

Offline sabathamk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sabrinas-space.blogspot.com
A question about thinning a herd...
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
I've only started collecting in August and my herd of ponies has quickly been overtaking everything.  I'm a big fan of the G1's and G4's, but I have so many G3's that they take up almost half my space.  I want to thin the herd, but have no idea how to go about doing so.  I got most of them super cheap, free, or in lots.  I actually... like them all... somehow, haha.  I've already thinned out the doubles, or the ones that are similar just different poses.  Any ideas?  How do you go about thinning your herd, or even just choosing which ones to collect?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Cardinal Melody\'s pony maker!
wishlist/adoptables

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: A question about thinning a herd...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »
G3s are hard to sell sometimes..... however if you list them on here, it's free and you don't have to keep relisting them like on ebay lol.

As for collecting: I went through a stage of 'OMG IT'S A PONY BUY IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW' ( about 4 years ago) til I realized that I didn't even like half of them... so I got rid of almost everything, sold them here and on ebay...then I ended up with 50 ponies left, and without zillions of poies taking over my home I had more of a clear head to think about what I wanted to collect.

I stick to G1s, I don't collect sets, just the ponies I like. I have a few G3s, mainly Halloweens MIB and a couple of earlier ones, and exclusives.

If you find it hard to let some ponies go, you could start by selling the ones that you least like the colour or pose of for example.

Alternatively, if you can find a better way to display them, or store them so you have more space, you won't have to thin the herd at all! :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
I have often thought about thinning my G3's as well...I have a full set from when they were released to when they went to bore 7....It's alot of ponies!

If I were to thin them, I would probably thin the ones that are super common (Rainbow Dash, Star Swirl, etc)  and the ones I didn't really care for (color scheme, pose and whatnot).
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
I actually had the same problem you did - g3s were so incredibly easy to come by that I had a ton of them when I didn't really mean to have quite that many.  :)

Anyhow, I collect based on looks and try to sweep my collection every so often and see if there's any ponies that I have not grown attached to - and then I sell those.  Seems to work for me. 

Good luck in thinning your herd; I know it can be difficult.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:44 AM »
If I was ever to thin my herd I think for me is would be as simple as "picking favourites"...if I took 100 ponies I could probably get that down to 30 of those I love, 30 of those I am borderline on and 30 who I "could maybe" live without. I am not denying that it would be a "tough love" situation but I think I would find that easier than clinically going through them.

Personally thats the way I would go as then I ll still have the ones I love and I "shouldnt" end up with too much sellers regret over ponies which were far from my favourites when I had them!

Good luck whichever way you decide if you do end up thinning your herd!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline sabathamk

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I actually found that I love the G3's that have bold colors, or food/drinks on their bums, haha.  My daughter went through my newly organized herd and I'm thinking I'll give some to her... although that means more ponies everywhere else in the house, haha.  I know of a few I'd be willing to part with, some of my huge white herd, and pink herd.  And Cherry Blossom/Cheerilee... I have 6 completely different ones but they are all essentially the same pony!!  O.o

wishlist/adoptables

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
I know this problem so well!  I find grab bags of them at the thrift store that I can't leave behind and they're often dirty or have frizzy hair so after I put that effort into cleaning them up it's not worth it to sell them... :-/

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
If you think that you might end up with seller's remorse, my suggestion is to box up the ones you *think* you can live without or the ones that are maybe borderline.  Let them sit in storage for 6 months or whenever.  That will give you time to get use to not seeing them everyday and can be used as an indicator whether you really want them or not.

Offline sabathamk

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
Sunset, that is a GREAT idea!  I will have to do that!  Perhaps I will swap some out periodically to change up my shelves a bit too.  I just know I won't be able to sell them for much out here, and selling online is kinda hard since shipping to ANYWHERE from Canada is so expensive.  $15 for one pony.  Seriously.  Also $15 for 7 or 8 ponies, but you get the idea, haha.

wishlist/adoptables

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
Downsizing is a tough decision... G3s with magnets make that decision much easier!

I actually have a metal plant stand/ utility shelving unit thingy. I hang my G3s upside down. They hardly take up much room, they block the sun partially from those G1s I love!

The bad part though is it makes it a lot harder to see who is on your shelf....

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »
I recently got rid of 52 G3's, because I realized a lot of the ones I had just didn't excite me.  When I got them I was like yay pony without really looking at it.  Sometime later I looked at them and wondered what if anything was exciting about the pony in particular.  When I found that nothing about it was exciting I figured it was time to pass her along to someone else.  I kept the ones my mom got me or the ones I really cared for.  I also kept ones for my armies.  Try that approach first and if you still can't thin out the herd sorry.  That is the best advice I've got.

Offline sabathamk

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
Ooh, upsidedown ponies!  I want them to climb my walls... hahaha.  Or my fridge.  My daughter thought that was funny when we put her G3's on the fridge.

I know I just went through all my G3's, and there were only one or two that didn't 'speak' to me, haha.  A white one with a heart around a peach was one of them.  She was just so unexciting to me.  I'm thinking I should clean them all up and take photos and then box the ones I'm not super thrilled about... that would be easier than actually selling them, since I know I could take them out again if I want.  Maybe one day I'll be able to sell, haha.

wishlist/adoptables

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal