collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you clean/restore your childhood ponies?

YES! they must look their best :)
33 (36.7%)
NO! The dirt is part of the sentiment :)
9 (10%)
sometimes, depends on the flaw :)
48 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: *POLL* Do you clean/restore your childhood ponies?  (Read 7082 times)

terpsichore07

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: *POLL* Do you clean/restore your childhood ponies?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
I have some of my ponies and I have been cleaning them.  I will clean them inside and out and replace the washers as they did do tubby time with me.  They never got hair cuts or coloured by me, I took pretty good care even though I did play with them.  So any marks do not hold memories and I try to remove them.  If there is frizzy hair, I do try to fix it as if I knew how to as a child, I would have as I hated if one of my ponies hair frizzed (and only a couple did).  I am not planning on restoring symbols/eyes or any hair loss that may have occurred as that is where the love came in.  Same goes for flocking.  I just cannot leave them dirty or in a state that may make them deteriorate as I tried as much as I could being a young child to take care of my things and now I want them to be able to last, plus I hate dirt.  Lol. 

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
I´ve cleaned mine. Fortunately, they don'T have cancer or tail rust, despite being my fav bath toys :P Some have haircuts and I would not reroot them though.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
I wash and style them, but that's it.  I won't rehair (not that any have cut hair anyway) or repaint symbols.  I also don't display my childhood ponies with the rest of them (which means I have to have two of certain ponies, one for display and then my original) but that have to look good on their own.

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
I did rehair one of mine and rewing it too, coolbreeze looked depressing with her horrid hair. For me giving them donated hair is like putting makeup on. I did give my Sherbert some symbol touch up and donated hair for a plug, I love her to bits and she deserves to look fab!
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
I actually just rerooted a couple of plugs on my childhood baby cuddles today and I have been thinking about this, funny to see a topic about it now!

She had a rusty butt and I'd cut her forelock down to stumps so I wanted to correct those things because otherwise I don't feel I can display her. I got her out of the garage *years* ago and she's just been in a box under my bed ever since - which to me is sadder than fixing the things I did as a child. I know she's still the same pony that I loved as a child, even if she looks a bit different, and I can get more enjoyment out of her now when I see her lined up proudly alongside all my new acquisitions. I think my childhood self would have liked that. :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
I would clean them. :/ Uh, cuz, it's gross not to. I would also comb out tangles, and even condition the hair, but I would leave the frizz.

Restore? No way. I leave the eye rubs, hair cuts, marks, rubbed flock,  battle wounds ;3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Buttersketch

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
Most of them just got a bath, wiped with a magic eraser, maybe some Oxy Clean for the really grubby ones and had their hair styled.

But I've done more with a few. Scoops was my most extensive restoration of a childhood pony and she got the works: cleaned, repainted, new hair. I'm working on Pony Bride and her restoration will be almost as dramatic as Scoops was. I also plan on rehairing Baby Yo-yo, since her hair is just awful.

comics |LJ|Tumblr|DA

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
I know you didn't ask for pics, but... I recently restored my childhood Baby Moondancer, and I'm so proud of her. I cleaned her tail rust and glued her horn together because there was a gash in it. But I would not repaint her eye. I was considering giving her a little sun, too, but I am afraid; if she turned brown or something, it would be devastating.

Before:

After:

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
Clean, definitely.  Eye rub, yes, because those bug me lol.  Symbol usually not.  Stains, I try to get rid of

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline flowersinherhair

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
When I was a new collector back in 2000, I was a bit eager to try out some restoration stuff and a couple of my childhood ponies became my guinea pigs... Bridal Beauty got a new tail and Strawberry Scoops got a partial repaint of her symbols. While I don't regret doing that, these days I'd rather leave things be. My childhood ponies have frizz, haircuts and worn-off symbols, but I'm content to not change anything; it sets them apart and makes them uniquely MY childhood ponies. However, I AM all for washing and combing! I want them to look as good as they can, despite their flaws! :)

Oh, and I'm also okay with upkeep on the restorations I did - the paint I used on Strawberry's symbols years ago was low quality and started to get weird, so I scrubbed it off and re-did it recently. Someday I'm going to get Bridal Beauty another new tail, because the one I put in wasn't MLP hair, and it feels different.

MoongazerThePony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
I clean them, but if I wrote my name or my initials on on of her hooves, they stay.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Yes! Although, I only have 2 surviving childhood ponies  :P I have Baby Starbow and Baby Tic Tac Toe. Baby Tic Tac Toe is actually in near mint condition still - her only flaw is some rubbing on her tooth paint. The only reason I washed her was to re-style her hair. Baby Starbow is in slightly rougher shape, and I've decided to sunfade her because she never was dirty, she was always a pristine white when I was a kid (can you tell I was really protective of my ponies?) so the slightly creamy color she's fading to isn't from childhood play and I don't feel bad about getting rid of it, because I'm restoring her to the condition she was always in in my memories. However, she does have this little mark on her forehead, it's like a stripe on a horse's forehead. As far as I know she's always had it, at least since I can remember so she either had it MOC or received it shortly thereafter. I won't ever try to take it off because that's what makes her my Baby Starbow ^^ So I guess that makes me a middle of the road sort?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:58:17 PM by babystarz »

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
Clean, yes (dirt, rust, stray pen if they had any, condition hair) and I have. Restore, no (repaint, rehair, resculpt). Maybe I'd sunfade, and if I could fix my Princess Brush n Grow's tail mechanism, I would, but that's probably about it. At the same time, though, I know I'd never sell them, so if I changed my mind, and attempted a restoration that didn't turn out so well, all that would mater to me is if I were happy with it.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
I still haven't found mine in storage, but I do know that my childhood Raincurl has a mismatched head and body, her hair is terribly frizzy and since I played with her in the pool she probably has tail rust :lookround: Also, I never remember my Rosedust having pink hair.

If/when I find them, I'm going to fix them :) The only exception would be baby Firefly, who has a big ink stain on the side of her face. I remember that incident well... a pen exploded in my toy cube and it got everywhere. I'd leave that. *sigh* I really need to find them.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »
ive been working on fixing up mine!  most only have surface dirt, but a few are missing plugs, so im unbalding them!!! I always felt bad for them as a kid.  I have a few very badly defuzzed so softs, but the spots missing fuzz are very memorable and i cant bring myself to deflock as i would with others. 
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal