collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Finishing Touches  (Read 1153 times)

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
Re: Finishing Touches
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
I normally seal with Dullcote and have never bothered with primer.

I don't prime
In my experience, krylon products, and even the "for plastic" sprays generally stay tacky, or have some sort of adverse effect with the pony plastic (I had one I sprayed with the "for plastic" specific spray, that never did dry)

I think most of the "for plastic" paints are designed with ABS plastics in mind and not PVC/Vinyl - that's why they don't work with ponies.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »
I use Dullcote and also Mr. Super Clear UV (mostly known in the doll world) It works fine too :) I don't normally prime. But pastels will stick well to acrylic too  - thats how I use them :) They also stick decently to pony plastic in general.

I was reading about that, but it sounds hard to find, where do you get it?

I don't typically prime, but I use acrylic and not pastels.  If I were to prime I'm very lightly sand the whole pony and use a good coat of artist acrylic paint.  A lot of gessos are cheaper grade acrylic and are more brittle and tend to not adhere as well.  Good acrylics have more flexibility which helps them stay adhered to sure a soft surface.

Interesting, the gesso I use is top of the line and when dry feels nothing like my acrylics.  It has more tooth and a chalkier feel but I do see your point about being flexible, ponies are squishy!  I did follow you suggestion and sand my recent gal after the disaster with the spray primer and the gesso took very nicely to her.

I prime with Armory white primer, and seal with either Armory or Testors dullcoat. All spraycans. Lately I've been using Armory instead of Testors, cause it's a bigger can, doesn't smell as strong, and ive had better luck with it. Don't get me wrong, I love Testors, but I had a few customs come out a bit shinier than I'd like with the last can I bought, so I switched back to Armory (found in gaming-type hobby stores.)

Hmm we have a few hobby stores by us, not close so maybe I shall call and see if they carry that brand before making the trip.

I don't prime
In my experience, krylon products, and even the "for plastic" sprays generally stay tacky, or have some sort of adverse effect with the pony plastic (I had one I sprayed with the "for plastic" specific spray, that never did dry)

Thanks for that feedback jupi, I would rather not ruin some of the imps work if I can avoid.

I normally seal with Dullcote and have never bothered with primer.

I don't prime

I think most of the "for plastic" paints are designed with ABS plastics in mind and not PVC/Vinyl - that's why they don't work with ponies.

Thanks Pop, guess I will be returning that can if I can find a receipt.  Hmm unless it will work on model horses.  Where is my test horse?
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 09:04:38 AM »
I'm another Dullcote fan.  I hate the tiny cans versus the price (recently commissioned to repaint a mannequin, and I don't even want to know what that's going to cost in Dullcote) but there's not much I can do about that except be sure to use the coupons at the Hobby Lobby and A. C. Moore near my house.

I don't prime with an actual primer, but when working with ponies that are hybrids (head from one, body from another), I start with an aibrushed coat of Createx opaque white to make sure that the finished colors are the same for both parts.

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
I'm always trying new things when it comes to ponies, but I think I've nailed down my G4 FBR method.
The body gets sanded with some 400 grit wet dry sand paper to give it some tooth.  The heads usually take to my primer fairly well.  I then prime with a paintbrush and the incredibly cheap ghetto dollar store variety craft acrylics.  To save time I make it close to the colour I want to actually have.  Something about this paint sticks miraculously well and it dries nicely even on stupidly humid days.  The drawback being that it does add a certain texture, even when painted on thinly, also getting it wet will start to wash it off.  That said, it's my go to bottom coat.

For finishing, I've tried many different kinds of finishes.  I'm still trying to nail down the best one, but I am liking clear acrylic spray.  'Rustoleum painters touch 2x clear gloss' is a good sealer for protection.  I once botched something and had to strip a piece I'd already sealed with it and it took forever.  So I use that first for protection.
I've also started using 'Krylon Make it Last!' and I've been getting surprising results.  It's actually very matte and a good bit cheaper than dullcote.
Of course, it's always humid and rainy here so I have to constantly use a hair dryer in conjunction with my spraying.

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
I use dullcote - the only problem I've had is that I've noticed if I have to handle the pony a lot afterwards, to rehair or something, sometimes I seem to get darker patches where it seems like the oil from my skin seems to rub off.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline RobinHoodFan

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Avi by Me :)
    • View Profile
    • C. Riley Customs
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
I don't typically prime, but I use acrylic and not pastels.  If I were to prime I'm very lightly sand the whole pony and use a good coat of artist acrylic paint.  A lot of gessos are cheaper grade acrylic and are more brittle and tend to not adhere as well.  Good acrylics have more flexibility which helps them stay adhered to sure a soft surface.

Neat idea! I may try that next time. I use professional grade acrylics. Never even thought of the gesso quality before!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
I used to use mod podge bit not the matte version
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline RobinHoodFan

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Avi by Me :)
    • View Profile
    • C. Riley Customs
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »
I'm noticing alot of you use dullcote to seal..which, is fine by me and glad to know that is what works in the end, super! ....BUT....when pastelling, one needs to spray seal between each layer to build up the color....and that can get VERY pricey with dullcote. Normally on my model horses I use Krylon  for teh between layers and dullcote for my final layers. Since Krylon may not play nice with ponies, what would you suggest I use between the layers when pastelling?

Another question...if a pony goes tacky in areas due to whatever sealer as used, would re-sealing it in dullcote fix the problem?

Anyone ever try the spray modpodge?

Offline Diamond

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:17 AM »
I have seen some folks list the spray version of mod podge as a final sealer RHF, I guess we are just gonna have to try a test pony and see what happens.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »
I used the mod podge spray and it left my pony sticky. I was not pleased. It might work for in-between layers, though. After I resealed the pony with dullcote I haven't had any problems with stickiness.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:26 AM »
I use Army Painter Anti-Shine Matt Varnish or Games Workshop/Citadel Satin Varnish. I used to use Mr. Super Clear Matte, but after it became harder to obtain I stopped. I often use pastels on my ponies so a spray varnish is a must.

I never bother to use a primer, I tried it once but didn't find it to improve the quality of my paintwork.

Offline Diamond

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
Interesting to see the mix of things folk use. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal