collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations  (Read 19788 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »
Up to 70% off in liquidation? On FB I saw people complaining that there was nothing more than 10% off, barely retail after the initial price hike, and it wasn't worth the trip.

I do wonder if TRU Aus will survive this, their biggest competition is Mr Toys Toyworld, which has way more locations.

I reckon crowdsorcing to save TRU is really sketchy too.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »
I only went to our TRU way back the weekend after the snow, after it was announced, but although the displays were half empty, there weren't huge discounts. I actually found it upsetting even though I had no childhood memory of TRU, really, so I haven't gone back. It reminded me too much of Woolworths, which was the saddest thing ever in store closures for me given that almost all my from new ponies from G1 - G3 came from one or other Woolworths' store.

Plus the way people behave in liquidation sales is often ugly. And I feel bad for the staff.

I don't have any childhood memories of TRU. But I do remember getting the bus from work occasionally when G3 was out and coming back with a couple. I think possibly Tea Leaf was one of those. She was a TRU pony, right?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »
I'm thinking those that are already at 70% must be the ones that had already started liquidating before the announcement.  My local Store was at 10% as of Sunday.  (The sign on the front says "Up to 30%" but in reality most things are only at 10%.)  I can't imagine that they have jumped from 10 to 70 in only 2 days time.  Especially since more than one article I've read has indicated that they have till June to finish liquidating.

I've gone in twice now and there is nothing I *need* from the mlp isle so I'm going to wait till the percentage is down to 50% and hope that there is still anything I want left.

I did go and buy some presents for my stepdad who collects Toy Story even before the sales started and I'm glad I did.  There were no more buckets of the green army men left the last two times I went.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2018, 05:51:44 PM »
70%?! Here nothing was more than 10% :\ if it ever gets up to 50-70% here, I'll go check out the Calico Critters and see if there's anything left. The pony aisle here is an endcap and hasn't updated in ages anyway.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:00 PM »
I want the jumbo display Calico Critters.

My favorite memory of TRU is going as a kid age 7-9, and I always had a specific route: Neopets on the edge of the girls section, MLP, Littlest Petshop, then immediately to the Star Wars toys on the way to the video games in the front corner. Sometime between 2007 and 2009 mine got a remodel, and then moved locations last November. I always went for Pokemon distributions, and to preorder a Pokemon game that came with cool preorder freebies.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2018, 08:16:59 AM »
Right now it seems to be 5% off some, 10% most things and 20% off others.

On the way back from the Martinsville, Virginia race I stopped at the Toys R Us in Danville, which I have to say is one of the cleanest, well organized TRU I've ever been in. The variety of selection is way better than Colonial Heights TRU.

In my experience these kind of store closings always starts off at like 10% and 20%.

I've seen some complaining and wailing on other sites like facebook. Apparently these people have never seen store closings before so have no experience with how it works.

Gradually as the end date for closing draws nearer they bump up the percent to 25% and then usually 50% and then 75% is usually around when a lot of stuff is gone.

People got to realize IF they put everything 50% off all at once or heaven forbid 75% off, can you imagine how overwhelmed they would be? There would be a mad rush and I can even see people fighting over stuff.

So most of the time store closings involve stages of reduction. A lot of people will buy at say 25% off because they might not be able to make it to TRU later. Like in my case I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to a TRU. So I'll probably will not be able to hop on over to get the best deals, etc.

Anyway, just some perspective.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
Right now it seems to be 5% off some, 10% most things and 20% off others.

On the way back from the Martinsville, Virginia race I stopped at the Toys R Us in Danville, which I have to say is one of the cleanest, well organized TRU I've ever been in. The variety of selection is way better than Colonial Heights TRU.

In my experience these kind of store closings always starts off at like 10% and 20%.

I've seen some complaining and wailing on other sites like facebook. Apparently these people have never seen store closings before so have no experience with how it works.

Gradually as the end date for closing draws nearer they bump up the percent to 25% and then usually 50% and then 75% is usually around when a lot of stuff is gone.

People got to realize IF they put everything 50% off all at once or heaven forbid 75% off, can you imagine how overwhelmed they would be? There would be a mad rush and I can even see people fighting over stuff.

So most of the time store closings involve stages of reduction. A lot of people will buy at say 25% off because they might not be able to make it to TRU later. Like in my case I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to a TRU. So I'll probably will not be able to hop on over to get the best deals, etc.

Anyway, just some perspective.

Having lived through a national store liquidation first-hand, I can say you are quite right-

But really they are starting so low because they don't need to start higher at first- people hear "store closing" and suddenly your empty store is busting with people like vultures looking for deals... 

The liquidation people know what they are doing and it is their job to squeeze every last dollar that they can out of the liquidation to pay off the store's debts (well first payroll then any secured debts then unsecured) -  it takes a while.

I don't know about TRU but by the time our store got to the "good" percentage (like more than any ordinary sale day) the decent stuff was long gone.  There were some very random deals here and there by the end-  but probably for random stuff you aren't sure you want anyway...

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
Did they even get a chance to jack up the "normal" prices so the sale prices seem like a sweet deal? It's a very popular tactic used to trick the public, but as far as I could see all pricing was normal.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »
the TRU by me  has not gotten any sales at all , I don't think they will close that one, unless they are closing all of them  now instead of some , TRU never has good prices here, it has always been more to get ponies there, and you always had to wait for a bogo sale or a nice black firday sale to get them at good prices , I was there 2 weeks ago, there was nothing I would want from the store ,not even at 50 or 70 %   :biggrin:
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »
the TRU by me  has not gotten any sales at all , I don't think they will close that one, unless they are closing all of them  now instead of some , TRU never has good prices here, it has always been more to get ponies there, and you always had to wait for a bogo sale or a nice black firday sale to get them at good prices , I was there 2 weeks ago, there was nothing I would want from the store ,not even at 50 or 70 %   :biggrin:

All TRUs in the United States are closing, and all of the ones that weren't previously announced to be closing began their liquidation sales on the 23rd, so your local TRU likely has began its liquidation sale as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:40:27 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ariana

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
Mine is 10-30% off, I got the last plush Care Bear there for 30%...can't wait for the bigger sales!
Follow my SFW pony tumblr: http://yodawgiheardyoulikeponies.tumblr.com/
Trade/sale list and wishlist:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371182.0.html
My MLP Youtube Channel:

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
Toyrus.Com is no longer accepting orders :shocked:

The end is near.... :cry:

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »
i guess i will miss toysrus for what i idealized it to be but it was just an overpriced toystore and its not worth a billion dollars to fix because we could do something better with it

and this is coming from someone that loves toys more than anything atleast we still have once opon a child
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »
10% isn't great savings but to each their own. I'd wait for 30% and higher. But the good stuff might be gone.😕

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »
ours is at 60% last i was there, The shelves are already looking pretty bare and they're already selling furniture and what not. I have found a few odds and ends, even some collectible action figures for myself and friends for great prices.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal