collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you have any rare ponies as a kid?  (Read 9922 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Did you have any rare ponies as a kid?
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
I've been thinking lately about the fact that rare, sought-after ponies were originally, of course, childrens' toys. It's a little strange to think about (just because I've been in the collector's mindset so long!) -- a kid playing with a TAF baby or Mountain Boy, for instance. People who had rare ponies as kids, how does it feel to see them so expensive now? Did you like the rare pony when you were a kid? Do you like it now? Do you still have that pony? What are your thoughts and experiences with this?  I'd love to hear.

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
    • View Profile
Re: Did you have any rare ponies as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
Mountain Boy Fireball was one of my first ever ponies, which is interesting since I grew up in the US!  My childhood neighbor moved here from England and gave me a small collection of ponies her daughter no longer played with.  Fireball was and still is one of my favs, and I still have him.   He was the only boy pony I had for a while and he "protected" the rest of the ponies.  I remember spending a while flipping through pony books trying to ID him as a child with no luck.  It was not until I discovered the online pony community that I found out he was more sought after, and was never sold in the USA.  To me it makes him more special that he is one of the more desirable ponies today.   

This is a cool topic!  I have also wondered what it was like for collectors who had sought-after ponies as children and would love to hear more stories. :)
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
No, but I did have a substantial collection of fantasy fillies that I kept in near-mint condition throughout my childhood). I also had not lost any accessories, all lights still worked, and there were no broken pieces. I had Alexis, Jewel, Prisma, Ala, Cirra, Electra, Zinnia, and two of the minis. I kick myself for not keeping them, having given them away instead.

As far as MLP: I don't think I ever had anyone of any real value: Baby Countdown and Baby Drummer I think are the most valuable among my childhood herd, so no big loss there.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:13 PM »
I dont think so... I had a few sought after ponies though :

Cool Breeze
Whirly
green Rollerskate pony
Princess Sparkle (light up Princess)
EURO Baby Explorer and Baby Stella

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
I had the TAF babies and scoops! I also had a set of the pearlized babies!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 11:16:13 PM »
Yes! As a kid I saved up my horseshoe points and got Mommy & Baby, and the 6 pearly babies. I also had one of the mermaid babies and got the Valentine’s twins as a gift :) Still have them all today.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
I've been thinking lately about the fact that rare, sought-after ponies were originally, of course, childrens' toys. It's a little strange to think about (just because I've been in the collector's mindset so long!) -- a kid playing with a TAF baby or Mountain Boy, for instance. People who had rare ponies as kids, how does it feel to see them so expensive now? Did you like the rare pony when you were a kid? Do you like it now? Do you still have that pony? What are your thoughts and experiences with this?  I'd love to hear.

It's not strange to me :) The Mountain Boys were among the only boy ponies I had or even saw as a kid, though the UK had all the Big Brothers too. I had three of them. Sunburst when my sister was born, then Fireball and Thundercloud as well. I still have them and their combs/brushes but not their stickers :( But I played with them, took them to school...you name it. I always loved them but I also always wanted Lightning and could never find him. I don't frankly understand why Ice Crystal is so much sought after compared to the others. I like him ok but yeah, I don't really get it O.o. We picked up the other three at carboot sales for like 50p or £1 so the prices of Mountain Boys now seem a bit crazy.

I also had Gypsy but I'm not sure if she counts or not. I found her second hand at a school fete.

The Mountain Boys were not rare here when we started carbooting. We found quite a lot of them and traded them all overseas for other ponies. They are rare now. But I never thought of them as really rare until we were online. The thing is that there's always been this idea since the mid 1990s that the mail orders and Euro/UK ponies (and later Nirvana) are somehow rarer. But for me the rarest ponies are still some of those we didn't get here.

I have had about ten Ice Crystals over the years. But I have found exactly one Glory and one Moondancer here at carboot sales. Rare is relative to where you live :)

My sister and I had a few UK/Euro ponies. We had the family babies and the best friend babies with their pals. We had rollerskate ponies as well. UK versions of the sea ponies...yeah. But I don't really know how to gauge them as 'rare'. I still see 2nd set rainbows and early pegs and unicorns as more rare to me.

On another note, we did pick up Himmelstanzer and Baby Leaper at a carboot sale. And at least one Mimic, once ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 01:28:34 AM »
I had SA Windy. She went mysteriously missing with the bulk of my childhood herd and I will never know what happened to them.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 03:44:08 AM »
Don't know if these are necessarily rare, but I did have Clipper and Starhopper.  I remember clipping and saving horseshoe points, saving my money, and finally mailed away for them.  I couldn't afford the whole set, so had to settle for just those too. 
I was forced to give away my childhood ponies, so getting Clipper and Starhopper from the last Delaney sale, was a major milestone in completing my childhood collection.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 05:21:15 AM »
I have dainty dalia
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 06:58:42 AM »
Yeah, my rarest as a child isn't all that rare.  But I had mail order Stockings.  I don't remember much about the points program as a child and I know that I didn't send of for her or baby Ember.  I suspect that my mom was the one clipping points and sending off for those two and then saving them for Christmas.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 07:01:35 AM »
Yes, my parents sometimes bought them for me for my birthday. :D I have Scribbles, Dabbles, Rapunzel, Mommy and Baby pony, Goldilocks, Tux n' Tails (can't vouch for Satin n' Lace, though :blink: ), and Babies Sugarcake and Gametime, while my brother had (and now I have) Baby Clipper. Received Baby Milkyway as a gift from my best friend; she'd ordered two (one for each of us) and we were surprised when they came that one had the stripe in front instead of the usual spot; I liked it though, but now I find I need to also find another Milkyway, so I have one of the "regular stripe" version as well. ^.^ Please note I can't vouch for accessories; they did get played with, after all. ;)

For ponies sold in stores, I somehow managed to get all of the Big Brothers (US only, mind), and have something like 3/5 of the lil' litters kitty sets. Never found Mimic in the store at all, despite looking. :huh: Hey, I saw that episode, just like you did! :lol:

Edit: Oh, I remember sending for the Rice Krispies Baby, so I she must be in my childhood herd as well.
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
Sunnybunch. Merry-Go-Rounds aren't easy to get these days from what I hear.

Definitely Dazzleglow.

How do I feel about it? Annoyed. It took me a long time to find Dazz and I still need Sunnybunch back.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:32:45 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
I don’t know if it counts, as I got him secondhand long after they’d been in shops (2010s) however I didn’t know that he was rare at all.

When I was about 11 I found ice crystal at a car boot sale for £1. I remember being excited to find boy ponies but I didn’t realise that ice crystal was any more hard to find than tex and salty (who I also found). It was really cool to discover that I had a somewhat rare pony in my small herd! Without knowing much about him, I still really liked him and he was one of my favourite g1s, and the husband of kisscurl, my main g1 character, who was the mum of my favourite g3s at the time.

I still have him, as I properly got into collecting a bit afterwards (rather than just playing) and I still think he’s my favourite g1 boy that I own. If I didn't have him, I don’t think I’d be rushing to eBay to buy him as I think it’s more the memories of playing with him that make him special,he was just one of my favourite g1s, not because he was sought after.
About his price now - they were still pricey when I got him (I had no clue at the time) but if I had lost/sold him then I would be very annoyed, as he was a favourite and I would NEED to buy him back!
If I had sold or got rid of him, I would’ve bought him back, because of the sentimental value and playing with him and his family, but I wouldn’t buy him at his high price otherwise, as handsome as he is  :P

Mlp Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
Reading all this I wish we had mailöorder ponies in Germany too ;) lol. You guys had some awesome ponies!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal