collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)  (Read 13181 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
I can't remember if I've already posted in this thread or not, so please forgive me if I repeat myself.

1. The buffalo episode was sooo terrible, hooboy.

Like, imagine an episode with this set up:  a bunch of creatures stay in Fluttershy's house, even though she doesn't want them there.  She tries to get them to leave, but they won't . . . Oh wait, we don't have to imagine this episode because it happened, it was "It Ain't Easy Being Breezie."  And the moral wasn't "And then Fluttershy realized she was being SELFISH by not accepting permanent squatters, and that she just needed to SHARE more." 

*whispers*  Because that moral is dumb.

Then you consider the historical context and it gets worse.  Because none of the American Indians' problems--like, you know, having the actual buffalo herds they depended on slaughtered en masse by the US Army--stemmed from 'not sharing enough.'

2.  The existence of more than two alicorns.  I never liked the idea of alicorns to begin with, I thought it was an over-the-top, Mary-Sue-ish idea.  But FIM sold me on Celestia and Luna.  It was okay that they were over-the-top because they were supposed to be.  But then we get the alicorn of . . . Love.  And the alicorn of . . . Friendship.  For having, um, pretty average and unremarkable friendship skills, really.  :/ And then the alicorn of . . . Being Born An Alicorn.

Yeeeeah, sorry, I'm back to thinking alicorns are dumb and Mary-Sue-ish.  (I get it, The Toys Sell.  But I don't have to like them.)

3.  The yaks.  Wow, who is greenlighting these terrible episodes?

4.  Fluttershy's brother hitting on Rainbow Dash and her just silently enduring it instead of telling him that she is not interested.  Very out of character, and not funny to play it up as humorous on a show aimed at little girls.

I really feel like they included it because they were afraid of Fluttershy's brother being perceived as gay, which makes it even more annoying.  There is nothing wrong with being gay, but there is something wrong with being a creep.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:15:16 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
Actually, Ponyland fits with the naming conventions of many countries.  It's the land of the ponies, hence Ponyland.  Though, it is very hazy just what Ponyland is since they all seem to live in building.  I prefer the term Dream Valley as the valley is easier to define.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
I can't remember if I've already posted in this thread or not, so please forgive me if I repeat myself.

Like, imagine an episode with this set up:  a bunch of creatures stay in Fluttershy's house, even though she doesn't want them there.  She tries to get them to leave, but they won't . . . Oh wait, we don't have to imagine this episode because it happened, it was "It Ain't Easy Being Breezie."  And the moral wasn't "And then Fluttershy realized she was being SELFISH by not accepting permanent squatters, and that she just needed to SHARE more." 

Then you consider the historical context and it gets worse.  Because none of the American Indians' problems--like, you know, having the actual buffalo herds they depended on slaughtered en masse by the US Army--stemmed from 'not sharing enough.'

2.  The existence of more than two alicorns.  I never liked the idea of alicorns to begin with, I thought it was an over-the-top, Mary-Sue-ish idea.  But FIM sold me on Celestia and Luna.  It was okay that they were over-the-top because they were supposed to be.  But then we get the alicorn of . . . Love.  And the alicorn of . . . Friendship.  For having, um, pretty average and unremarkable friendship skills, really.  :/ And then the alicorn of . . . Being Born An Alicorn.

Yeeeeah, sorry, I'm back to thinking alicorns are dumb and Mary-Sue-ish.  (I get it, The Toys Sell.  But I don't have to like them.)

4.  Fluttershy's brother hitting on Rainbow Dash and her just silently enduring it instead of telling him that she is not interested.  Very out of character, and not funny to play it up as humorous on a show aimed at little girls.

I really feel like they included it because they were afraid of Fluttershy's brother being perceived as gay, which makes it even more annoying.  There is nothing wrong with being gay, but there is something wrong with being a creep.

At the last.

He must be friends with Garf.  :biggrin:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
Oh my god.  Headcanon accepted.  :lmao:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2017, 11:34:03 PM »
To me, ZB was obviously written to be full of himself and that includes thinking everybody loves you and admires you. He also used his "hitting on" RD to show he's not interested in her. So I don't get how that reads as trying to show he's not gay. Acting like you are not into women because of "other reasons" is perceived as hella gay in the real world :lol: 
ZB is not interested in RD. He is interested in pretending she admires him, but in that episode he never tried to pursue her.
Or pur-mary sue her, amirite :lol:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
Heh heh, "pur-mary sue".  XD

Oh, I forgot to mention Discord.

I don't like that they redeemed him.  I'm okay with some villains doing an about-face.  Like Trixie becoming an ally--that's really cool.  Gilda not being totally terrible--okay, that is believable.  But this dude is a chaos-demon who was so terrible that he was the reason Celestia and Luna had to take charge and rally the ponies, way back in the day.  When Celestia is telling his backstory and showing them the stained glass mirror depicting his rise, there are faint screams in the background.  I am not buying that he just needed some friendship.

Also, I just hate when villains are 'wasted' like that.  I'm glad Chrysalis is still out there somewhere, plotting revenge.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
Didn't Discord almost send Tree Hugger in to oblivion after he reformed because Fluttershy invited her to the Gala and not him? , if Discord was fully reformed I don't think he'd do that to an innocent pony so easily.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
I haven't watched the show since... oh dear... when was the last time I watched it lol. So I'm not up to speed on what is going on. I do remember watching the first episodes with Flurry Heart but I basically stopped watching after a Luna episode sometime before that... however, I tried to catch up but just could not bring myself to watch every episode.

From what I skimmed here so far it sounds like the focus is moving or trying to move from the main 6... you know what the problem I see here is? The toys still don't reflect this.

I still refuse to say the G3/4 word for symbol
Still don't care for the term Brony and Pegasister
Still don't like to use the term 'Alicorn' for Winged Unicorns (which reminds me, I asked a long time ago what terms were used in other countries before Alicorn became popular. This stemmed from the fact that I remember Pegasus from Sailor Moon having a horn and the word Pegasus was still used.)
Still don't like that the CMC's talents were obvious but the symbols don't reflect that and look the same other than a minor detail.

And even though I don't watch the show.. I'm still unsure how I feel about Trixie and Starlight..

Edit: Oh yeah Discord... I'm not happy about that at all. Something for fan services I guess... which is something I do remember happening on several occasions before I stopped watching the show.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:58:05 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
After the latest Discord episode I hope the showrunners/writers finally caught on to the fact that Discord is better when he tries to be helpful. He can still mess up and spread chaos but he is no longer this manipulative jerkface that seemingly just wanted to own Fluttershy.

He was the one character I really hated after they brought him back. It was a little obvious this wasn't planned. They wanted to leave him in his role as an antagonist. But now they even gave him a weakness to stop his all-powerfullness.
Imo he should have never been around as much, but at least they are going into a good direction with him.

But that Tirek two-parter is still fresh in my head. The only thing Discord-related that I loved was how he so blindly trusted Tirek to be his evil bestie (the glass window with the sword and the baguette was so cute).
I kind of want evil besties. Can't Chrysalis work something out with another villain? :lol:
Maybe she could even feed off this love for her.

You hear me, Hasbro? :cool:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I kind of want evil besties. Can't Chrysalis work something out with another villain? :lol:
Maybe she could even feed off this love for her.

You hear me, Hasbro? :cool:

I DIG THIS.

Thinking about the last episode with Chrysalis in it, I will say that I didn't mind Discord in the episode where Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Discord had to team up.   I honestly did enjoy that.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2017, 10:27:31 AM »
I actually liked Discord in that episode too :) It's the one time I've enjoyed him in an episode.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »
Something came to mind watching the leaked episode, letting the show writers name ponies.  I can't hear J.K. Yearling and not cringe.  Everything has to be a joke with them, a bad joke.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2017, 11:36:52 AM »

The use of the word Alicorn to describe a winged unicorn is my least favorite thing. Second only to: Cutie Mark.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
1. I don't like that (only) Twilight became a Princess, as if it wasn't for her friends, she would have never gotten where she was. She's always praised for things that the mane five already came with. And yes, way too early as well.

2. Seeing Princess Celestia's weak side. I hated the episode where you saw Celesita being all crazy/freaking out like Twlight did when she had to teach Starlight about "friendship". To me Celestia was always a bit mysterious. But seeing her act like Twilight or anyone else was just a downer.

3. Making Diamond Tiara "nice" all of a sudden in the blink of an eye. Besides, we never got to see what her "talent" really is. I actually got put off when (I don't remember who) but some pony said "You can make people do stuff for you". I was like... :huh:.

4. The word "Cutiemark" Really? Like...what the-... It's a mark alright, but...what is it supposed to be? Cute? The term makes no sense. Call it talent mark of something. I often feel forced to use it because I think people might not understand what I'm talking about if I don't...

5. Flurry Heart's birth. I hate the fact that in a sequal of almost any animated/fantasy movie there has to be offspring. Why does two people getting together always has to end up in having babies? And...so soon really. It would have been nicer if when FiM ends, you would see Cadence with a big belly or something, and not make such a big fuss about it.

6. And last but not least. STARLIGHT GLIMMER. She is such a Mary-Sue. She makes Twilight feel totally obsolete. She can do everything Twilight does, only better... Why is she even here? it feels like she can do much better but is holding back for Twilight's sake. I dunno...I just don't like her.
My wish list: Click here!.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal