collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The mystery of Sunset Shimmer's hair (EQG)  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
The mystery of Sunset Shimmer's hair (EQG)
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »
So I'm curious, how many of you out there own a SS and TS EQG doll set with GOOD shiny silky hair for both the dolls? or have SEEN one?

For clarification, EQG dolls are weird in that some of them have terrible dry hair, and some have wonderfully silky shiny hair exactly like the ponies. I have seen both 'versions' of several different dolls at various stores and It is not consistant, one walmart has great hair dolls, one has terrible hair dolls. Yet, in all my searches, I have seen zero sets of SS and TS that have GOOD silky shiny hair, it all looks dull and dark, the set i BOUGHT has dark dry and dull hair, and I wish I hadn't got it.

I HAVE seen photos of the two dolls with good hair, and I have a Through the Mirror TS doll with good silky shiny hair, so it is possiblefor her to have it. The telltale sign of a good hair set is SS's red looks orangey red, much like her pony counterpart, where bad hair SS has dark red dull hair.

Has anyone seen or owned a set with GOOD hair? (and by extension, basic Twilight with good hair) And if so, does anyone have any pics to show proof?

I am desperate for a set of these two with good hair! I know these dolls are not very popular with collectors, but a bit of help in the hair mess would be appreciated.

No doubt stores near collectors who don't want to buy the dolls likely have tons of these sets with perfect hair.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of Sunset Shimmer's hair (EQG)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
My Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle have the shiny, don't rip out so easily hair  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I guess it depends on which store you go to :s mine came from a Target (Benbrook?) But I have seen these two in Benbrook's Walmart supercenter and it had the Sunset Shimmer with the dull hair :s
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:04:35 PM by Twilight Pink Navarro »
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
So I'm curious, how many of you out there own a SS and TS EQG doll set with GOOD shiny silky hair for both the dolls? or have SEEN one?

For clarification, EQG dolls are weird in that some of them have terrible dry hair, and some have wonderfully silky shiny hair exactly like the ponies. I have seen both 'versions' of several different dolls at various stores and It is not consistant, one walmart has great hair dolls, one has terrible hair dolls. Yet, in all my searches, I have seen zero sets of SS and TS that have GOOD silky shiny hair, it all looks dull and dark, the set i BOUGHT has dark dry and dull hair, and I wish I hadn't got it.

I HAVE seen photos of the two dolls with good hair, and I have a Through the Mirror TS doll with good silky shiny hair, so it is possiblefor her to have it. The telltale sign of a good hair set is SS's red looks orangey red, much like her pony counterpart, where bad hair SS has dark red dull hair.

Has anyone seen or owned a set with GOOD hair? (and by extension, basic Twilight with good hair) And if so, does anyone have any pics to show proof?

I am desperate for a set of these two with good hair! I know these dolls are not very popular with collectors, but a bit of help in the hair mess would be appreciated.

No doubt stores near collectors who don't want to buy the dolls likely have tons of these sets with perfect hair.

You have the Through the Mirror TS doll? Can I see some pictures of her?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
Im a collector and I like the dolls! I have all of them beside the Pep Rally and deluxe Rarity. My dolls have great-looking hair! It was a pain to get it that way though because of all the brushing, especially the dry hair. I soaked the dolls with the really dry hair in a revivalizant conditioner for a few hours and their hair is great!! I did keep my Black Tie Pinkie Pie EQG and Through the Mirror Twilight doll in their boxes though. Im still wondering why they decided to make Sunset's hair half red half yellow. I can take pucs when I get home!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:08:48 PM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline prancingstag

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »
I have bad hair TS+SS, and I've not as yet seen a good hair double pack on shelves. My basic TS and Doll&Pony TS both have excellent soft and shiny hair, so it's disappointing to have an odd one out. I'm pleased to hear that good hair double packs actually exist and I'll have to keep my eye out for a replacement. :)

As a note of interest, I also have bad hair Rainbow Dash, and the dull red in her hair is the same as bad hair Sunset's dull red hair. Does good hair Rainbow Dash have brighter hair, and if so, is it the same color as good hair Sunset?

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
You have the Through the Mirror TS doll? Can I see some pictures of her?
I don't have any sort of camera, and the only one I could use is terrible, but she looks a lot like the basic doll Twilight, the skirt is a different fabric pattern, her shoes have difefrent painting on them, she has more glitter caked on her chest, her crown is the same as the TS/SS pack but weirdly an icy blue color, and her wings are a similar icy blue.

And of course, she has super long hair with tinsel in it.

Stock photo.

My Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle have the shiny, don't rip out so easily hair  :P

I guess it depends on which store you go to :s mine came from a Target (Benbrook?) But I have seen these two in Benbrook's Walmart supercenter and it had the Sunset Shimmer with the dull hair :s
I am jealous, I have been to several targets, Walmarts, and a TRU and have seen no sets of them with good hair! D:

As a note of interest, I also have bad hair Rainbow Dash, and the dull red in her hair is the same as bad hair Sunset's dull red hair. Does good hair Rainbow Dash have brighter hair, and if so, is it the same color as good hair Sunset?
Yeah, it's pretty close to good SS's hair, at least her pony form.

Protip: if she's packaged wearing boots with black plastic and her 'tail' is blue and purple, she likely has good hair, if it looks shiny and bright and resembles that of the ponies (likely just hold a brushable from the shelf next to it) the hair is doing to be good.

I have seen red boots dash with good hair though, so it's not the only way of telling.

I have also seen no hairstyling Dash with good hair yet, it all looks dull and flat. :/

Argh, I love these dolls but the weird hair issues are just so frustrating, and I'll likely end up with too many twilights on the search for ones with good hair.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
What does the dull hair look like? I want one of the Equestria Girl dolls but not if their hair is all crazy.

Offline prancingstag

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
What does the dull hair look like? I want one of the Equestria Girl dolls but not if their hair is all crazy.

I made a post about my experiences a while ago and included some photos, you can read it over here. :)

As far as I know, all of the basic packs, the Doll & Pony sets, the Pep Rally set, Boutique Pinkie and Mirror Twilight have good hair. The dolls with potentially bad hair include the deluxe Dash and Fluttershy, radical hair Dash, and the double pack with Sunset Shimmer. (Nobody's seen Rainbow Rocks dolls yet so the jury is out on that line.) But seeing as good hair deluxe dolls are fairly common and people have found good hair Sunset, that means you can get one of each character with nice silky hair, just as long as you look carefully at the package for super shiny hair, and if applicable, bouncy-looking curls.

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
My Basic Twilight has bad hair too, exactly like the two-pack Twi. my basic AJ has nice hair though, as does every Celestia I have seen.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »
Dude, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to deluxe Rainbow Dash :s every store i've been to, regardless whether its Walmart, TRU, or Target, they all carry the dry haired deluxe RD  >_< I just have to use a soft bristled brush when it comes to her then  ._.
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »
I still don't quite know how to tell the difference between the hairs. The set I bought at Target last week has amazingly soft, glorious hair, but it doesn't feel like the Ponies' hair. I wouldn't say it's dry, either, though. I didn't try brushing it, because it didn't look like it needed it and I was worried it might tangle.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
It is no doubt been a bad batch or different supplier during production - hopefully its something they clear up in the longer term of the line :(. Its really frustrating though having to look for better quality hair. It is sometimes possible to treat it though - its the same material its just that in production its finished different for some reason. You could try soaking it in baby oil for a while - with nylon hair which is dry and matt due to treatment occasionally that will help.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »
Very odd-  I haven't taken my Twilight/SS packs out of box yet so I'm not sure about mine.  Luckily all my other dolls have silky fantastic hair so I hope my luck didn't run out with this set!

I'm not overly inclined to remove them from box since their lack of articulation would probably just irritate me.

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »
Very odd-  I haven't taken my Twilight/SS packs out of box yet so I'm not sure about mine.  Luckily all my other dolls have silky fantastic hair so I hope my luck didn't run out with this set!

I'm not overly inclined to remove them from box since their lack of articulation would probably just irritate me.
Take pics?

And SS has articulated arms, but nothing else. Like a half deluxe doll.

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
Just to add, I got the Target Pinkie's Boutique doll (who is fully deluxe!) and her hair is great!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal