collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP why  (Read 1016 times)

SaphTalon

• Trade Count: (0)
MLP why
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
Why do you like My little pony? What about it moves you?

So to answer why I like MLP; it is because even as early as G2 it was about resolving social conflict and showing that it can be possible to be accepted. As early as G2; My little pony tales had some moments where you wonder if its playing on gender roles but toward the end you see that its teaching a valuable lesson about this. In the episode of My little pony Tales "The Tea Party" who do they allow to join their club?

What moves me about My little pony is it shows that acceptance exist. No matter how many times Minty screwed up her friends where there for her. That is what got me hooked on MLP and that is what moves me. My little pony regardless of age or gender has values in the lessons that it teaches.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:04:45 PM by Abba »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: MLP why
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
Friendship has always been a BIG theme in MLP. :) To me, My Little Pony provides me with a safe, warm, friendly escape from reality, both in terms of collecting and playing with my toys and watching the cartoons. I can get very weary of the cynicism of other media, and MLP gives me a very special kind of warm fuzzy feeling that helps me recharge.

My Little Pony Tales was still G1... I always feel nitpicky saying it but I think the assumption is that it's G2 because it seems logical for each generation to have had a cartoon, but G2 really didn't have any. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:27:59 PM »
It just makes me feel happy, I think it's the nostalgia!! I find it soothing to go brush their hair, put the pony wear on them etc. I only watched the cartoon a little bit as a child, so mostly it's the physical playing with the ponies that does it. So I suppose it's the lovely childhood memories I have of playing with them with my sister or friends, sometimes even my mum!!

Jules x
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
I really don't have much of a reason why, lol. Buying new ponies and collecting them makes me happy and it's exciting. I really only started collecting them because they're just so darn cute.  :biggrin: I don't really have any childhood memories of them. I didn't start collecting G3 till I was somewhere around 15-17. After 2-4 years of collecting I just kinda stopped. I don't even remember why. Now I'm 23 and since mid October I started collecting G1. So no memories for me, I just like them and find them cute.  :P

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline Nilenna

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • My Little Pony makes me happy! ^__^
    • View Profile
    • ~ My tumblr blog ~
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
I didn't see many episodes of MLP actually. I had one VHS with MLP and I really loved it. But I still had some ponies that I played with. They went well together with my Barbies.  :P  And recently I started collecting them and they just makes me very happy. They're so colorful and beautiful. Nostalgia!  :lol:
My sales thread ^.^ http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,364527.0.html mostly G1 ponies ++

My pony instagram: @mylittlepony_alv  :bubble:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
G3 is what got me started. First it was the music from the Cotton Candy Cafe commercial, then it was finding Ponytopia's site and then after seeing a pony I can relate to, it went from there.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
I watched a little of the G1 TV cartoon show. I still like to watch the old G1 commercials too. I just find playing with ponies when I was little soothing and I had lots of fun going on adventures with them. I still find it exciting to learn about them and collect them. My family has something they collect and I have my ponies.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:12 AM »
I like MLP because of the childhood memories they bring. I also enjoy the overall designs (from G1 to G3) for their own reasons; G1 is very calming, G2 has a kind of silly, fun feel and the look of G3 feels like there's something to get excited about! (But that's just how I interpret things...) XD

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »
I like the current cartoon series and as a toy collector I naturally started to collect toys. When current toys didn't give enough satisfaction, I branched out to older toys too.

There probably are some very complicated reasons of why I like the show, maybe even some things I haven't even thought about, but I not in the mood of going into that at the moment (secondly not even sure how I would express some of those things in English, when I have trouble doing that even with my native language).

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 04:26:32 AM »
i love mlp because my mum nainy and taidy got me them when i was little and i still have them all except for tiddly winks who was lost in asda !so i sort of collect in there memory but i have always loved g1 ponies and i can spot them from 500 meters !!!! :) i was blown away when i found ebay !! as i could start collecting again !!
i also rented mlp videos from the video shop and i think i wore them out !!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:28:12 AM by Aflame »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 04:38:21 AM »
The G1 cartoon is what got me into My Little Pony, especially Wind Whistler.  Her character really spoke to me.  Then Friendship is Magic pulled me back in.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
I just think they are pretty. I'm a bit shallow in that way.  :biggrin: I also grew up with MLP so it being a huge part of my childhood might have an effect on why I love them so much. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Hunter-Rose

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
Honestly, I don't know :lol: I remember hating it as a child during the G3 era but during FiM I got into the cartoon, but it was the G1's that really got me into collecting. They're so chubby and cute, and as weird as it sounds, they smell really nice...  :blush:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
I was hooked at Rescue from Midnight Castle.   The only other My Little Pony cartoon I loved almost as much was Escape from Catrina and FIM seasons one and two.   

As a kid, I loved the adventure and the fact that they were female heroes who were over the top girly and yet still brave, loyal, funny and independent.  That was very rare in the 80s.  Really rare.  I had never seen anything like it and had never thought about girls that way.  You were either a tom-boy or a girly-girl.  I was thought of as a Tom-boy, a girl who acted like a boy.  But after that, I knew I was a girl acting like a girl who likes adventure.

And of course I love them because they're ponies!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:25:22 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
I love it because it's cute and colourful, the messages of love and friendship and harmony are strong and inspirational, and the universe is rich with lore. Long live pony!
:fox:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal