collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do/did you think of 50 Shades of Grey?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: What do/did you think of 50 Shades of Grey?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »
I tried reading it, and I hated it. To my mind, it's a story about an insecure girl that falls for a man based on his success & wealth, doesn't think herself attractive enough for him, lives to fulfill his sexual desires, lets him treat her like crap and supposedly loves every minute of it. It's really just glorifying an abusive relationship, imo.

Smut is fine, if it's done right, but what is erotic about this poor girl that can't say no and just gets used up by a man who thinks he owns the world?

This, too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Hunter-Rose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
I managed to find the whole thing written up online and my God was it boring; there was no point in a plot that poor, should have just skipped to the smutty bits but they were awful too.
I've read enough fanfiction to know how shoddily written that was  :P

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
While I agree that it is exploitative and smutty and not the most well written I still found enjoyment in it.  I actually liked seeing how their relationship developed through the books such as him opening up to her about his childhood and the main character learning about herself.  Of course it has plot flaws and I do agree the main character is week and Gray takes advantage of her but if you can read it for the entertainment it is intended to be you might just like it.  :)

Well, call me old fashioned, but personally I just don't find exploitation all that entertaining.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
I think Little.fox has very articulately expressed my feelings about this book... and why I am genuinely depressed by how popular this it is.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
Utter drivel. Smutty twilight fanfiction in copyright free clothing.

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Rainfeather

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
While I agree that it is exploitative and smutty and not the most well written I still found enjoyment in it.  I actually liked seeing how their relationship developed through the books such as him opening up to her about his childhood and the main character learning about herself.  Of course it has plot flaws and I do agree the main character is week and Gray takes advantage of her but if you can read it for the entertainment it is intended to be you might just like it.  :)

Well, call me old fashioned, but personally I just don't find exploitation all that entertaining.

I feel the same. How can this be so popular amongst people with female parts?
Maybe you think I'm too 'far', but I find this a perfect example of what is wrong with this society and how we raise males and females.
Idolizing gender-stereotypes.

I might get that this is 1 step up in women becoming more equal, because they are now 'allowed' too publicy like stuff men are watching for ages...
But still... why this, indeed, exploitave relationship? Why such a brainless woman and such an egoistic man as main characters...that again force these gender oles upon us...
Probably because the book would be really short if it was woman with selfrespect... since she would say 'I'm not interested in men who treat me likt this' in the first pages...

Anyway. Why does it AGAIN have to be so... exploitive and like... as a women you aren't allowed certain wants, needs, and fantasie's.
Why not a book about a woman who knows what she wants in life on this topic, and gets the spicy things, without hurting other people? With people who are equally happy with it?  It would still have spicy bits... but on a more equal and realistic way...

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
I never read it and after many people telling me bits of it I probably won't ever read it. I might just because I like to be well read and know generally the books people are discussing, but it's not for me.

If someone wanted to read a book of "that" nature that is more well written they could find some. I know I have a few on my shelves.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
I still needa read that book... ._. i'm all about "that" scene XD  :lol:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline DireRabbit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
Without going into too much detail -- I have a problem with how the book portrays the community of BDSM.  -_-
I personally heavily dislike it. It's not the worst thing ever, though, and I won't think too differently of you if you have read it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 04:14:53 PM by DireRabbit »

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »
I had no interest in reading this series but wound up picking up the 3 book set at a thrift store for dirt cheap. I love reading and can go through books I really enjoy quite quickly, however I'm 3-4 chapters in and I have to admit, it's not grabbing my attention like I hoped it would.

I desperately want to believe that it gets better, but from the sounds of others I'm not going to hold my breath :P

I do agree that if you're into erotic literature, there are far better novels out there :)

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »
I refuse to read it. I'm not a fan of erotica, and I don't like how it paints the BDSM community (I heard a lot about that over on tumblr). There were a lot of red flags in their relationship that were emphasized in a couple posts I read on a blog dedicated to pointing them out, and it honestly infuriates me.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »
hilariously bad

flyawayraven

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 08:54:03 AM »
Nope, nope, nope.

Read a few excerpts, and was unimpressed and disgusted.

Of the many thigns that irritate and infuriate me about 50 Shades, is that if people want to read erotic fanfiction there are so many better examples out there than this. Fifty Shades is atrocious and the only reason it gained such popularity was because it came out of the Twilight fandom. It should never have been published for a mass audience. As others have said, the relationship is flawed, the so-called "writing" is just god awful, and finally the portrayal of BDSM is grossly inaccurate and that can and did lead to a lot of people getting into unsafe BDSM relationships.

But yes, if you want good erotic fanfiction, start by browsing Archive of Our Own or a fandom specific kink meme. You're guaranteed to find something better.

Noepse

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
It's really just glorifying an abusive relationship, imo.

That is exactly what I felt when reading it. Gross.

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
I'm going to be honest here and say that I don't really get what all of the fuss is about? In my opinion it's a badly written story filled with grammatical errors (aaaargh). The fact that it was spawned from a Twilight fanfiction just irks me because I read it and it's blatantly obvious in many parts. The whole "it's really rapey" complaint I keep hearing about it is so untrue, the majority of the book is about filling out contracts and giving permission and the like- jeez Louise I could keep ranting on and on. And yet, some part of me enjoyed it on some level and is planning on reading the second and third books to see what the outcome is- guess that's my inner Goddess talking XD
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal