collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Backcards/Boxes? Who collects these ?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Backcards/Boxes? Who collects these ?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 07:12:20 AM »
I keep whatever paper ephemera comes into my collection (ditto with packaging, etc for the other gens), but I don't specifically seek it out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »
I'm curious.

For those who collect boxes and backcards-- how do you display them? Do you just store them?

Boxes drive me up the wall because they take up so much room. But flat things I don't mind as much because they are easy to store.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
I love G1 artwork. Only have a few in original packaging, wish I could afford more. I am actively searching for play set boxes on my wish list...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »
I'm curious.

For those who collect boxes and backcards-- how do you display them? Do you just store them?

Boxes drive me up the wall because they take up so much room. But flat things I don't mind as much because they are easy to store.

I don't have a pony room yet, but it's always been a kind of internal pipe dream to be able to display ponies with cards in the future if possible. Some of my cards have bubbles still attached, like Tornado, and so they can't be stored flat and have to be stored more creatively. Most of my straight cards and box backs that have been cut off are in lever arch files or if they're too big, loose in the same drawer with the files. It's a deep drawer, and some of my boxes are also flat packed that way. Those with bubbles are mostly in one of the Waterfall boxes (I managed to get both Waterfalls into the US box, so I have Satin Slipper in one UK Waterfall box and packages in the other) so they don't get crushed. Sometimes cards with bubbles are inside boxes with bubbles. Some of my newborn twins live inside Rattles and Tattles' box. Most of my MIP are behind cupboard doors so you can see them when you open the cupboard but not really go through them all.

...None of this does them justice. One day...I wish for better. :) But according to my spreadsheet I have 333 cards/boxes including the MOC ponies. So yeah, it's a challenge I can't meet yet.

I also have a folder of leaflets, inserts, and other paper bits, and one with stickers and such like in. But they're easier to store.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BabyBlueRibbon

• Trade Count: (+372)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bu884wztwz4so2/AAD_kw1sL0fybkjpPzWjK7gLa?dl=0
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »
HUGS all of the backcard / box collectors like me. :) I have been an adult collector of these since 1997 (when I originally figured out what eBay was). None of the cards/boxes are from my original childhood collection. Actually, I only have ONE pony in my entire collection that was actually something that I owned as a kid.

I have almost all of the G1 US released cards/boxes [EXCEPT any of the sister ponies, sea ponies, or ballerina ponies, and the few remaining cards on my want list]. Shameless plug.....I am looking high and low for those that I still need. Message me if you are willing to sell any of those. :)

I also have several G1 NON US released pony backcards / boxes. I try to keep those to only cards / boxes of ponies not available in the US.

I think that I have almost all of the cards for the G2 series [except I did not collect any of the changing hair ponies. I thought those were....interesting.....just not for me].

I keep the cards sorted by pony type [Collector ponies, Rainbow Ponies, etc] and card/box sizes in various sizes of vacuum space saver bags.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:43:34 PM by BabyBlueRibbon »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 05:42:40 PM »
I only have my childhood cards from 1992 onwards, plus sister's as she doesn't like backcards - but that also includes all the ones we got from the clearance store in 1994 and 1995. All the earlier ones got ditched :( I have bits of Sky Rocket's card somewhere, but only bits. I have my sister's loose Napper card (from the clearance store) and Sunspot, Skydancer and Napper MOC (from same store) but am still waiting to replace my childhood Sky Rocket's card :/

Some cards are definitely more obscure than others.

I would love to know if anyone has a 1987 UK Twinkle Eye backcard.

I'm only looking for Locket's for nostalgia's sake since I have one example in my collection already and I am fine settling for one of the set in the case of rare releases, but this set is stupidly obscure for some reason backcard-wise.

The others in the set are Sweetie, Fizzy, Speedy, Sky Rocket and Tic Tac Toe. The card is white with a rainbow motif up the middle. I'd love to know if there are surviving cards out there.

In my biased opinion Europe and the UK in 1986 and 1987 had some of the best packages, especially 1987. But for some reason several of the 1987 cards (as opposed to ones from 1988 dated 1987) are stupidly obscure.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:46:36 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 10:35:20 AM »
Looking back, I wish I had saved all my backcards (the boxes might be a bit more difficult to store, but the backcards would have been easy to keep), but that was just something I didn't even think about when I was 5-9 years old. I am glad that at least you can go online and find the artwork and stories for each pony on their cards/boxes. I've always loved the G1 artwork; it is so beautiful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal