collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What cartoons are you watching rn?  (Read 12641 times)

Offline Rainshower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What cartoons are you watching rn?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
I have been slowly watching my way through all the different Barbie movies. It has been fun to rewatch some I saw as a kid and find new ones that were release afterwards.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Watching the Tangled series, King of the Hill, Extreme Ghostbusters and Pocket Dragons. My husband and I usually pick one series and stick to it but this time we're bouncing between those four.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »
I have been slowly watching my way through all the different Barbie movies. It has been fun to rewatch some I saw as a kid and find new ones that were release afterwards.

Oh my god, the Barbie movies were fantastic! Some of the old ones I watched as a kid still hold up pretty well now. Are any of the newer ones worth watching?

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:16 AM »
I was looking for something from "The Critic" on YouTube after seeing the crossover episode of "The Simpsons", it turned out they had the entire pilot episode available and after watching just the first few minutes I was already in love with it.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
Is anyone watching Infinity Train? I was really digging Season 2, way more than S1. Gotta love a story about a nonhuman trying to gain personhood. I was pleasantly surprised by the protagonist shift, too. Season 3 is already airing, I need to catch up. I feel like this show is really slept on. Or maybe it just does not have a toxic adult fandom, so I rarely hear about it.
Still recovering from the awful Dreamworks She-Ra fandom and anti-fandom.
Mmm I love Infinity train! MT’s arc was so fulfilling and wonderful. And as always, gotta love one-one for making exceptions to the rules.
In other news, anybody around here watching the owl house? Me and another friend are and now our conversations are entirely in screenshots from the show.

I'm keeping up with it but I've gotta say I fell a little out of love with it. I just think Luz' friends are not interesting and the school is very Harry Potter Lite. I hope it gets better again because slice of life stuff in fantasy shows often puts me off. Flashbacks to Steven Universe filler eps :lol:

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
I’m taking a trip down memory lane and watching old cartoons. X3 Stuff I remember from childhood, like Horseland, Care Bears, and old Scooby eps. I guess with how stressful life has been, I just want something comfy and familiar.

I also want to rewatch some old Nicktoons... who remembers Aah! Real Monsters? X3
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2020, 01:49:16 PM »
I guess with how stressful life has been, I just want something comfy and familiar.

I also want to rewatch some old Nicktoons... who remembers Aah! Real Monsters? X3

I always resort to childhood stuff when life is tough, I can relate.

I remember it and loved it as a kid. I wonder why the heck they had to reboot Ren & Stimpy and not this.

Offline Skandalous

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »
Infinity train book three is FABULOUS. Can't wait for the last 2 eps to be released. The level of writing skill is *chef's kiss*

Finished "Elena of Avalor" which unfortunately is such an underrated show since it got banished to Disney Jr. The story comes full circle with wonderful character growth, plot advancements, themes such as PTSD, what it takes to be a good ruler, etc. and lovely songs.

Watching The Owl House. I like the back-half of the season so much more than the first-half.

Watching Amphibia- season 2 has some interesting plot developments and a touch more mystery.

Watching Big City Greens- such a cute show full of heart and laughs!

Watching Glitch Techs- eh, it's okay. I don't get a lot of the video game references/lingo and I keep hoping for a deeper plot to unfurl.

re-watching Avatar the Last Airbender- that series was lightning in a bottle!

And then sometimes I turn on the kiddy shows, because there's just something so innocent and sweet about them and sometimes you really need that especially these days.

Blues Clues & You!- pure nostalgia- Josh is so steve-like- it's a thrill to see my fav show from pre-school evolve with the times without losing what made it so special.

Mira Royal Detective- Cute show, good exposure to the intricacies and traditions of the Indian culture. Very bolly-woodesque songs.

:rainbow:Skandy's G2 Wishlist:rainbow:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2020, 04:57:34 AM »
Watching Amphibia- season 2 has some interesting plot developments and a touch more mystery.

Back when both shows were announced I thought I'd fancy Owl House over Amphibia because the idea of a world of frogs and newts sounded dumb to me and it looked like Gravity Falls - Frogiverse. But once I got over that I started enjoying it more than Owl House. The protagonist and her besties are really charming and especially Sasha is interesting. I don't really care for the frogs. I skipped the Gravity Falls fanservice episode (Wax Museum), tho :P
Having a crossover with a cartoon that's been over for a while is kind of cringy.

Speaking of cringe, I know it's almost mandatory these days but I just detest how these show creators are overly available on social media for all of these crazy fans. I enjoy cartoons as an adult but I would never dare to tweet at one of those people with embarrassing shipping questions or stuff like that. I made the mistake to check the Dreamworks She-Ra showrunner's twitter one day and she was answering questions like "is Catra Latina? Because we want her to be".
And then she actually said "yes, Catra is a Latina" and I was like huh?! No offense but that character was never ever implied to be of Latin-American heritage. She is an alien catgirl who never said a word in Spanish. If you wanted her to be Latina you would have implied that in the show.

I wish cartoon creators would just stop pandering to who can scream the loudest at them. Remember back when cartoon shows openly made fun of people like that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

"Please please please get a life foundation" should apply to anyone over the age of 16 contacting a kids show runner to confirm their headcanons.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
PPPGALF was intended as satire, not actual criticism against adult fans... The people being quoted in the short knew about it, they thought it was hilarious.

I have nothing against adult fans interacting with show creators, I think it's wonderful that we're able to do that now. I just wish more of them would use a bit of common sense while doing it. x) The creators as well as the fans.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
PPPGALF was intended as satire, not actual criticism against adult fans... The people being quoted in the short knew about it, they thought it was hilarious.

I have nothing against adult fans interacting with show creators, I think it's wonderful that we're able to do that now. I just wish more of them would use a bit of common sense while doing it. x) The creators as well as the fans.

I said they made fun of them, not "actually criticized them". Something you can't even have nowadays without the people being made fun of taking to twitter or tumblr to rage at the creators. Look at Teen Titans Go! - they started taking the piss out of people hating on the show and it made the backlash only worse. So much so they can now make entire episodes based on these anti-fans just to get more material for the next one.
People are too thin skinned to take something like this as a joke anymore. And I am saying this as someone bitter at TTG!s constant "Teen Titans final season" baiting. Still wouldn't contact the showrunners about that. That would be the first sign of slowly losing control of my life :lol:

I guess we have to agree to disagree because I think common sense would mean not to ask creators about ships at all... It would be lovely if creators started listening to the kids who watch the shows more. Tiny Toons in the 90s had an episode "written" by a couple of little girls. Now a lot of cartoons are driven by adult fan demand and it's always about pairings or headcanons becoming canon.

Slightly related, there is this new crop of Avatar: The Last Airbender fans who were too young to watch the show back when it aired and are now finding out about it via Netflix and they think it is super problematic and creepy for older fans to ship the characters, not realizing these shippers were the characters age and younger when Avatar was fresh :lol: So I guess this is the other side of the medallion. Both young and adult fans can be obnoxious and treat a show like it is their territory. I just think it's forgivable when teens do it because they are still growing.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2020, 12:55:47 PM »
Ah, my apologies then, I misread the tone of your post. No, I agree, I think we need a bit less "pandering to the fans" and a bit more "gently poking fun at them", too.

I didn't say anything about ships... I think it's probably better to leave the creators out of that stuff, too. Always weirds me out to see people asking about "is X/Y/Z ship canon??" or "what do you think of [controversial ship]???", like... shipping used to be such a "don't get the creators involved" thing so idk what changed there. There's some cases where I can see a reason to ask the creators about ships, I guess (i.e. "What's your favourite ship" - not something *I'd* ask but I don't see anything wrong with it, either), but otherwise I agree, leave the show crews out of it. I mean, even when creators do answer about ships, that's inevitably criticized by fans because "omg he said he didn't care what fans ship THAT MEANS HE'S SUPPORTING A BAD SHIP AND THUS SUPPORTS [hot-button topic]!!!" or complaining that the creator hates their ship or w/e. =_=

I wonder if there's more kids-influencing-stuff than we know about, and it's just that we hear more about the adult fans influencing stuff cause they're more vocal online or w/e? I know Adventure Time used one or two kids' fancharacters and the only reason anyone knew that was cause the showrunner tweeted it a couple of years after the fact.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2020, 03:50:39 AM »
Infitiny Train's third season final was really something. Anybody seen it yet?
I was a bit confused as to why it was no longer on Cartoon Network but after that finale, yeah... it's better left on HBO. The imagery was a little too nightmarish for daytime kids program. I just hope there can be a fourth season/book now. These kinds of "grown up" cartoons don't seem to fare well if they don't pass the Adult Swim test of lowbrow violence and XXX.

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2020, 04:47:52 AM »
Urrgh, I need to get HBO so I can watch the new Infinity Train. DX

I remember I was... 12? 11? Anyway, back when Avatar was new. XD I just... wasn’t into shipping at all. I was still in my “dating is gross” phase, LOL. I wonder if kids back then were less into that aspect of the fandom (less social media and thus less exposure to it), or if I was just an odd one? :wonder:

I understand what Zapper is saying about how the fan/creator relationship has changed. I personally dislike how much sway headcanons and fanons now have over the shows themselves. I’d rather stand back and see what the creators/writers were actually planning, instead of watching them pander to hyper-vocal fans on social media. Some shows are more obnoxious in that way than others, but there’s no denying that things are a lot different now than they used to be.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2020, 04:51:25 AM »
Urrgh, I need to get HBO so I can watch the new Infinity Train. DX

There are... ways to watch it without getting HBO Max :angel:
I go to a site that rhymes with "shmatch shmartoons shmonline" and turn on my adblocker :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal