collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Adults Should Read Adult Books" anyone else bugged by this?  (Read 4551 times)

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "Adults Should Read Adult Books" anyone else bugged by this?
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
As someone who "grew out of" kids and YA books earlier than a lot of others, I completely disagree with this article. Sometimes you need "fluff" and you need "children's books". They can pull you out of a hectic world and bring you into one where there is no foe to be defeated or where good always triumphs over evil. In the same way that catching a children's show in the AM can often remind and help re-institute ideals forgotten or buried under a heap of stress (such as be kind to others, appreciate the small things). Books can offer the same advantage.

The only real reason I don't read YA books myself is because I often find them holding less detail, paragraphs more like that of a screenplay than of a long book. I'm also very into the urban fantasy genre and found far too many books focus on a love story than the actual urban fantasy. Though, that's not always true.

Other than being more intricately detailed/written with longer word content, the only real difference between YA and "adult" novels is maturity content. Adult novels often deal with worries of the world outside of high school and deal with matters like sex in a more frank discussion.  You often tend to have darker/edgier stories... YA in itself has become grittier over the years as compared to some of the novels written for the same age group a decade or so ago. Much more like it's adult counterparts. In some ways I find that good, but in other ways it is a bit disheartening.

I don't read YA much anymore, but I absolutely adored The Hunger Games and thought it was an excellent read. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, genre label, and certainly if you haven't even bothered to read it at all.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »
I'll admit there are times I get a craving to read a YA book that has a high school setting. But stupidly, I feel like I am going for something that I'm not 'supposed' to, like I shouldn't enjoy something for the younger crowd. But oh, how I love high school stories!
I need to just get over it and read some! Ooooh....forsee a trip to Barnes and Noble soon!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
Here's a literati's opinion.  Take it or leave it. 

A lot of "adult" fiction is crap these days anyway.  YA books are the last bastion of well-written fiction, I've found.  Give me Redwall, Harry Potter, or the Hunger Games series over the latest snore-fest of a James Patterson or Nicholas Sparks book.

(My apologies to any fans of the latter two authors.  I just can't get down with their work.)

It's also worth mentioning that many classic novels were originally intended as work for children or young people.  Lewis Carroll or Charles Dickens, anyone?  Even Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote stories for children which are now lauded as literary classics.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:51:52 AM by Eviecorn »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

steampunk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
I feel sorry for him and his incredibly boring life. He's obviously lost contact with his inner child and doesn't know how to have fun.

Excuse me while I gleefully plan another trip to Disneyland (we have no kids) and re-read the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce  :biggrin:

Offline zannid

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »
Excuse me while I gleefully plan another trip to Disneyland (we have no kids) and re-read the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce  :biggrin:

Ah, I adored Song of the Lioness when I was younger and read the Protector of the Small series when I was... 16 I think? Is there any other particular books in that universe/by Ms. Pierce you would recommend?

Now I'm getting the urge to read The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Corville.  Oh, two new (and final) books came out for the series. Hmmm. Guess those'll be going on my wish list.

Um, what was I saying about usually reading adult fiction?  :P

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2012, 03:31:06 AM »
wow.. who cares what anyone likes to read o__o that article is just.. wow

i almost always read YA books and im 26, im sorry i just love fantasy thats not so so serious, some of my favorite series are, "magyc" by angie sage, "the edge chronicals" by paul stewart, "monster blood tattoo" by D.M. cornish... i also love the "warriors" series but iv finished them T.T haha i dont care WHAT people think of me when they see me reading these books :p and honestly if they dont like it then i dont need em XD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Lobstersnail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2012, 03:31:28 AM »
I am always bothered when people think that things need an age range. Nothing needs to be stamped with a certain age. I mean think about the fact that everyone here in this community, collects toys made for children. We all enjoy what we do and it makes us incredibly happy! And books are the same way. I see no problem in reading a book made for a younger age group. They can be just as well written and just as well thought out as any "adult book". I think people should always do what makes them happy and stop worrying about whether you are "too old" for something. You are never to old to make yourself smile.

Actually, young adult books are my favorite genre because they are so well written. I don't know what his problem is. I have a whole book club dedicated to reading books made for middle schoolers and high schoolers.

Offline Moss

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2012, 03:42:28 AM »
My mom read the Harry Potter series to me when I was younger. As I got older, we would each read a chapter or two aloud to the other person. That, to me, was one of the greatest bonding experiences of my life. And we both lord the books! She also read the Hunger Games at the same time I did. Think she tried Twilight, but didn't get too far lol.
Bottom line is, why shouldn't adults be allowed to enjoy YA books? And just because something is "for adults" doesn't automatically make it more deep/ intelligent.
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »
@Zannid: try her Immortals series as well. love them!

im refusing to get up on my soapbox for this idiot. besides, everyone has already said everything i had to say, and much prettier, with apostrophes and stuff too!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
This reminds me of that dumb commercial where a guy is eating that chicken noodle soup with the star shaped noodles and his brother mocks him for liking something so kiddy, and then whips out, I dunno, a can of Progresso's chicken noodle soup or something.

What's so bad about continuing to like something you liked as a kid?

I read adult books, I watch adult documentaries, blah blah blah, but I also love rereading The Hundred and One Dalmatians or Harry Potter.   Sorry, I didn't realize it was an offense against nature in this guy's eyes.  Oh noes!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
It's true, this guy's mind would be forever altered if he stood too close to my bookshelves.

"Oh... My.... GAAAAWD!  You've -  you've shelved Arabian Nights next to the Bible!  And augh!  Babysitters Club books next to Tolkien!  Stop, no, not the Isaac Asimov on the First Muppet Dictionary!" 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
I prefer YA fiction a lot of the time over "adult books" because to me, most adult books are BORING. I love books written about talking animals or more fantastic things like that... For some reason, not many adult authors write about these.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
Now I'm getting the urge to read The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Corville.  Oh, two new (and final) books came out for the series. Hmmm. Guess those'll be going on my wish list.

Yes, you must get them! I picked up those 2 last year, and loved it! So glad the series was finally finished. I won't spoil it, but what happens to Clara near the end I never saw coming but is great!
:heart:
I keep meaning to make "Luster" in MindCraft, heehee.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »
LOL  he published a book !!! did anypony noticed it's title??
LOL
this might be a way for him  to promote it.

BLEH!
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
I understand where this guy is coming from. Two of my partner's cousins ran out to see that newest Twilight movie on the first day it was out. I felt completely and utterly embarrassed for them--one is 32, the other is 27.

But that's because it's Twilight. I do agree that teen romance novels really aren't appropriate if you're over the age of 18, but I'm not going to tell people what to read.

Harry Potter is just another fantasy story, so I don't see it as "kiddy" as Twilight even though it may well be (never read it or watched it). Hunger Games I know nothing about, either.

But, for some reason, I feel that Dr. Seuss is probably better than all of the aforementioned. :P I'd rather be caught reading The Lorax than Twilight.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal