Pony Talk > MLP Nirvana

Image Permissions/Donations for www.strawberryreef.com

<< < (2/3) > >>

Artemesia's Garden:
Hopefully people will be direct if they spot that a mistake has been made and then the OP can clear it up. Attributions are as important as content IMO, even though we are internet personas on amateur sites, no-one uses their real name and no-one really makes any money ;)

Nappercasper:
I don’t own any of the ponies I was credited for I believe both piggy ones were mine. Feel free to use them until you find a upgrade. I did have photos of all my rarer ponies unfortunately I deleted them when I sold them on ;( x

Leikin:
I think one major thing to start with is to remove the "UK" labeling on many of the ponies. The truth is that most so called UK ponies, where widely available throughout Europe, and in some cases even other countries. Some ponies listed as UK on your site where not even sold in the UK. The UK-pony myth is a misconception that has been debuncted for years now, but still maintained amongst new collectors that uses sites with this information still listed as facts.
I would say that this is also a part in the general higher prices for these ponies, as the term "UK-exclusive" intends that they would be rarer then they really are.

I would suggest to start only with what is verified, and go from there, and then add the variants. I see a lot of mislabeled variants in there now. Better to remove them until they are 100% confirmed, then to spread misinformation, that will only lead to two things. One, a false "truth" that will take years to wash away from the comunity (and adding more years the longer it stays on the site), and second, that your site gets an unfortunate reputation of spreading false information and myths, which from your point of view will be hard to wash off. And as you have put down a lot of hard work into the site, it would be a pity if collectors would recommend other to NOT use the site, as it is full of errors.
Better to have gaps in the information, and know that the information you have is right, then to have lots of information, where a big part is wrong.

Taffeta:
Echoing what Leikin said.

I know the 'UK' label has had a more detrimental impact on European collectors than people realise.

Even European is a vexed label, honestly, since you have ponies like Mountain Boys who skipped out on mainland western Europe, but were in Scandinavia and Malaysia as well as the UK. And there are ponies like white Tootsie who were all over mainland Europe but not in the UK.

But the problem is also resolveable by removing regional labels in general.

It serves no purpose, really, in this kind of context.

Especially since sites like SR are based on DV's very outdated and frankly damaging template for MLP release years. It was fine in 1996 when there was nothing else, but we know now that there are no ponies sold in the US that were not sold somewhere else in the world.

Just as labelling ponies sold across Europe as UK is difficult for European collectors, and misleading, labelling ponies that were sold globally or in certain other countries as US ponies is problematic for people outside of the US trying to catalogue their collection.

I really don't like seeing ponies that I had as a child called 'US' ponies any more than Leikin likes seeing ponies sold in Sweden labelled as UK ponies.

A website is better incomplete than incorrect.

Artemesia's Garden:
Apologies in advance if I ever say 'UK' so and so. I just mean it was sold in the UK i.e. where I am posting from. I like to collect ponies that were sold in the UK because they were or could have been part of my childhood I guess. If we don't use geography though, do we just refer to the differences in appearance? E.g. Gusty with green eyes and no glitter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version