collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The one that got away  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
Re: The one that got away
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 08:51:38 AM »
Green venezuelian blossom with pink hair that the delaneys sold recently. :cry: She was one of my childhood ponies who i sold to the delaneys back in the day as a "fake blossom" for $10. I found her at a carboot sale in Ayr when I was 9 or 10. I dont have any of my childhood ponies so when I spotted her I bid a crazy high amount and was confident I would win but was outbid at the last second! Gutted is in understatement would have loved to have one of my childhood ponies back with me! :(

Babydoll~
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:53:34 AM by Babydoll »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
Green venezuelian blossom with pink hair that the delaneys sold recently. :cry: She was one of my childhood ponies who i sold to the delaneys back in the day as a "fake blossom" for $10. I found her at a carboot sale in Ayr when I was 9 or 10. I dont have any of my childhood ponies so when I spotted her I bid a crazy high amount and was confident I would win but was outbid at the last second! Gutted is in understatement would have loved to have one of my childhood ponies back with me! :(

Babydoll~

Man that is one of the saddest stories ive heard. I hope you find her somehow, or someday.
I think one of my worsts is forgetting to bid on a complete set of rainbow ponies. I never got that lot. There are some other ones but I cant remember maybe so tragic that I blocked them out of my memory.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »
Prototype bbe sunlight.
She was on ebay years ago and i thought i bid high enough but at the last second i was outbid. I felt awful and regretted not bidding higher for years. I let her owner know if she ever intended to sell to please let me know. As luck would have it, right before my wedding i was contacted by her owner who asked if i wanted to buy her. I couldnt believe it. The story has a happy ending so i enourage everyone to not loose faith and that some times the best things are worth waiting for.

LOL I was going to post BBE Sunlight too! I also missed out on the ebay auction and have been kicking myself ever since. I'm so glad she ended up with you though. But if you do ever sell, hit me up!! She's my ultimate grail!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 02:21:54 PM »
Back in 2012 when I went to visit my family in California my aunt, granny, little cousin, and aunt's best friend all went to a huge flea market. Everyone was on the lookout for ponies for me! It was so awesome. Each booth we'd pass everyone would scan for colorful plastic or boxes of toys to look through. I'd never gone pony hunting before at a thrift store, flea market, swap meet, anything. It was awesome!

We found a trunk of dirty Sindy dolls for $20 each but not much else for a long time. Finally we discovered ponies! They were dirty and ratty but it was love at first sight. I got my first sea pony, Wavedancer, and G1 Majesty, Glory, and Starshine. There was also a Sundance, my favorite pony who I have an army of. Each pony was $1, a complete steal!

But I was so terrified of looking greedy (over a DOLLAR!) that I left Sundance behind. There might have been another common G1 like Peachy but I don't remember for sure. All I know is I walked away from that Sundance and I've regretted it ever since. It would've been amazing to have a Sundance in my army discovered with my family like that, but nope, social awkwardness won. My aunt even asked to make sure I only wanted the four I grabbed. >.<

When it bugs me I tell myself that another sweet collector came along and loves Sundance to bits. It was nice of me to leave her for them to find.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
Streaky. Every time. I've had the other 3 for YEARS. They just miss their sister!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
That was me as a kid for a mail order baby pony set, it sold out, I still have yet to find any of them.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
So many!   :lol:

HK yellow moondancer...the first time I tried for her I was sniped at the last second by like 50p (I had been the only bidder). And I miss her every time she comes up! I have been after her for a few years now! :unsure:

Also Thistle Whistle, she's my g3 grail  and I keep missing out, either I get outbid or I forget to bid at the end.  >_< one day! I'd love to get her still smelling of coconut too. :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
Green haired Peruvian Lickety Split. I got outbid by like 20¢ once on one that only went for about $45, years ago. Now whenever they come up, they're like $90+ and usually in worse condition  :cloud:

Also, just today I had to let a silver haired Greek Bluebell and g2 Glittery Heart pass for ridiculously low prices (the Bluebell was only about $50, shipping included! Steal of the century!) because I'd already bid on some other g2s... though the g2s I got we're definitely worth it, I wish I could've gotten all of them. That was probably my one chance to get that Bluebell variant for a good price...
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
So many sad stories. :( Here's hoping we all get the ones that got away someday :)

Here's mine: On Craigslist a year or two ago, I found a picture of a group of G3s that someone was selling with the G3 castle; on the balcony there stood Baby Milky Way! :shocked:

I asked if the seller would consider shipping her (they lived some distance from me), but the seller gave a kinda rude response and said that if she wanted to do that she would have listed them on Ebay. Choosing to sell locally is her prerogative, but she could have been nicer in her wording :cry:, sparing my poor broken heart :P But some day I will get a Baby Milky Way! :lol: *clenches fist and stares off into the middle distance*

But I was so terrified of looking greedy (over a DOLLAR!) that I left Sundance behind. There might have been another common G1 like Peachy but I don't remember for sure. All I know is I walked away from that Sundance and I've regretted it ever since. It would've been amazing to have a Sundance in my army discovered with my family like that, but nope, social awkwardness won. My aunt even asked to make sure I only wanted the four I grabbed. >.<
I can relate! When I was a little girl I left behind a paradise baby Palm Tree at a flea market because I didn't want to embarrass myself (I was getting "too old" for ponies, silly me). Still don't have her; will get her someday!

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »
I've had plenty over the years. Years ago, a member was selling a Colombian buggy (it was stamped "Made in Colombia" on the bottom) I thought it would be cool to add to my international pony buggy's and playsets. Of course by the time I pm'd the seller, someone else bought it. That's happened with other hard to find pony stuff over the years. I'm almost always too late to ask so I stick to stalking ebay. Other rare items were some Made in Macau pony bags that a member was taking offers on. Haven't seen any for sale since and that was back in 2011. A cotton candy dental care set, the green waterfall that was UK only. That playset comes up more than the other items but I always seem to miss out. Brazil duck soup. She just went for more than I wanted to pay for something so small. Those darn Adventure cards. I get outbid on ebay or too late to buy from members who decide to sell. I try to keep my want list bumped up in hopes someday I'll complete my collections. It makes it bad when it's something that seems to only show up every ten years.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 06:28:34 AM »
Ugh, I have so many of those kinds of stories.

One horrible day stands out in particular though.  I was about eight or nine and we'd just been to a toy fair.  We always walked along the local high street and went in all the charity shops after the fair.  We went into one of the charity shops and there was a little girl sitting in front of the toy shelves with her mum.  Everything kind of went into slow motion after that.  I was walking towards the toy shelves, scanning them for ponies.  The little girl was looking at Lego on the floor.  Then I spotted a pony at the exact same moment that the little girl's mum did.  "Do you want that Lego?" The mum asked.  "Or would you like this little pony?"  The kid pondered for an agonising moment, then said, "I think I'll have...the little pony!" snatching it off of the shelf.  The worst thing is that I don't think she even WANTED the pony, she'd just worked out that I was making a bee line for it and decided she wanted to "win" and make me jealous.  The kid then proudly turned to me (who'd just arrived at the shelves), thrust the pony in my face and gloated, "I GOT A LITTLE PONY!"  She then galloped round and round me, chanting, "I GOT A LITTLE PONY! I GOT A LITTLE PONY!"

To this day, I'm not sure who that pony was.  At first glance, I'd say it was Love Letter.  But both my mum and I clearly remember her having a red square-shaped parcel symbol with a green glittery bow.  And she looked shiny and (professionally) painted like other late European G1 prototypes.  I like to fool myself that the pony was an ordinary Love Letter, but my gut instinct tells me I missed out on something far, far more special that day. :(

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »
At a toy show I found a G1 lunch tin going for $20, I'm excellent condition. Of course, I had already spent all my money on other pony stuff. Maybe another day.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »
The few auctions I've lost haven't upset me. I have time to find them later. I don't do many auctions. As for seeing it and coming back, if I didn't want it badly enough the first time, then I'm not worried about it.

Offline munchy

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:21 PM »
This happened a few years ago but it still haunts me. I used to shop pretty regularly at a goodwill outlet (one of those ones with the rotating bins and everything is priced by the pound). One day I stopped in and in the first bin I found TWO Dream Beauties and a handful of later ponies. I was elated!... Until some of the other regulars who knew I collected ponies told me I had missed out on a giant box full of ponies! The ones I had found were the ones that had fallen out when the box was grabbed. I'm happy with my "consolation prize" ponies, but I can't help wondering what I missed out on!

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
The most recent ones that stick out to me most are TE Gingerbread and Baby Lucky Leaf.

I have been wanting an excellent/ near minty Gingerbread forever!  I found an auction that I watched closely for days.  When it was ending I had my phone watching and waiting patiently for it to end.  My plan was to snipe it at the last few seconds.  Well I was on my phone and when I went to bid, it said it timed out or something and that I was no longer logged in.  I quickly scrambled to to login and bid, but it was too late :(

With Baby Lucky Leaf, I had recently discovered her a month or so prior and I really liked her!  I found an auction for one in nice condition and watched it.  It ended when we were watching Star Wars in the theatre.  It went too high for me and I was really sad :(

I can remember exactly where I was both times.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal