collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Very Urgent - Sculpting Help  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Very Urgent - Sculpting Help
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
I'm not sure where this belongs exactly but people are always putting sculpted stuff here so I figured this was the place.

I have been making things out of Sculpey for a few years now, and need money very badly so I can move (for my sanity and my health). I don't have any hope that I'll find a real job (no experience + everyone having trouble finding jobs = lol I stand no chance), so I opened up commissions. I got my first one in years, second ever, and it was going well. Until I started on his second paw.

The first time I baked it he fell over and broke it. No big deal, right? But it happened again. And now its happened a third time, but his tail (black part only) and an ear have both broken off. My commissioner is worried it won't work out. I'm so frustrated I'm crying. I can't fail this. I can't get a bad reputation and have other potential commissioners be afraid to commission me because this guy does not want a fourth paw.

These were taken after the first bake, and you can see the broken paw (closest to the camera).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have baked much more fragile things and have never had something like this happen, ever. I've never had something break while baking. I've never had something break over and over and over again. I don't know what to do. For the third bake I put Sculpey glaze on his paw around the breaking area. This has always worked for me. It didn't this time. His ear is currently drying (reattached with glaze) and I don't know what to do. I can't fail this commission.

Does anyone have any sort of advice? I'm going to bake him on his side when I put him in next, but if he breaks again I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm so confused.

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Very Urgent - Sculpting Help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:30:37 PM »
Hiya, you just need to use a wire armature inside! That is commonly done when using sculpey and other types of clay, by proffessionals and hobbyists alike!
First make the 'skeleton' (simple like a stick figure) of your figure with wire (copper is good) then that makes it much stronger, there are many tutorials if you google 'wire armature' and sculpey.
Basic armature just includes 'spine' arms and legs, but in your case I'd include tail and ears. (If you did a project with hands I'd armature the fingers always)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:50:18 PM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »
I cannot remake him entirely. All I need to do to finish him is fix his tail and paw. I cannot waste all that clay because I can't afford to buy more.

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
Ok okay sorry:/
I'd normally suggest an epoxy type clay for repairs but that's expensive, how about - (sorry if this doesnt work) can you stick something sharp into his body (caarrefully) to create a hole, and stick in wire, make also a hole in the paw, then 'slot' the parts together (in combination with glue) that may make it stay better...
(sorry if this advice does not work)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:49:36 PM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
Are you sure that's Sculpey brand clay and not offbrand? I mean... obviously you know what you're doing and I'm sure you wouldn't make that mistake but I've just never had any problem with Sculpey breaking like that!

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
I'd say sculpt the paw separately and then attach it so you don't have to refire the whole piece.  The more times you refire the more likely you are to overcook it.  Overcooking clay, especially sculpey can make it brittle and prone to cracking and breaking. I'd say sculpt the paw separately with underlying armature and then glue it on carefully.White sculpey is pretty easy to tell when you overbake because it discolors but colored is much less noticeable so you have to be really careful when you multi-fire colored clay.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:45:17 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
Lyra - I've never been able to poke holes in baked Sculpey without causing cracks. Dx Also I'm not sure if I even have something sharp and wide enough to let me squeeze in a wire.

okapishomapi - Yep, I'm sure. The black clay was brand new. But it uses black clay (which is so hard to use, especially here where its cold) so maybe that's why? I honestly have no idea. I rarely use black clay because of how difficult it is.

Sarahlacewing - The only issue I could see with that is making sure it fits on the body right. Hm, maybe if I sculpted it on him, set him in the fridge for a while, and then pulled off the paw and baked it? Maybe that might work. However I can't do that with the tail piece. I tried reattaching the broken part with glaze and it was not happening.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
Lyra - I've never been able to poke holes in baked Sculpey without causing cracks. Dx Also I'm not sure if I even have something sharp and wide enough to let me squeeze in a wire.

I find you can edit (cut, sculpt, whittle, etc.) Sculpey by softening it in the oven for a few minutes (like 3 or 4). Also, I've never had that trouble with the black color, and I just made something black yesterday. I hope it doesn't end up breaking on me D:

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
You know that makes a lot of sense. I feel dumb now for torturing myself with other projects. XD

Black has always been the hardest color for me to get even close to workable. I used to live in SoCal in the desert, and now I live in Idaho in the snow. So yeah. Its gotten worse. I spent like 20+ minutes squishing the yelling at the black clay before I could even think about using it on anything. And when I cut off a section it didn't cut or 'tear' like other Sculpey colors. . .it broke off, and it crumbled in my hand.

I've always hear of people having major issues with black clay, especially in cold climates, so I've always assumed this was normal. Its always how my black behaves (and I've gone through two or three packs of black). o.O

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
Sarahlacewing - The only issue I could see with that is making sure it fits on the body right. Hm, maybe if I sculpted it on him, set him in the fridge for a while, and then pulled off the paw and baked it? Maybe that might work. However I can't do that with the tail piece. I tried reattaching the broken part with glaze and it was not happening.

It shouldn't be hard to eyeball the paw, especially on such a small scale piece.  But if you are very worried about symmetry you can try to chill and remove, but it may warp.  You may want to put a little piece of tape or wax paper on it so when you work it's not clay on clay.  That way you can just lift the tape or sheet and hopefully prevent warping that pulling it back off might cause. 

I'd use glue to attach instead of glaze. Just avoid baking again or it will likely continue to crumble. Also sealing may help the integrity.  I wouldn't drill into it if you are already seeing signs of weakness. 

In the future when you sculpt with this clay consider attaching a different way.  Instead of sticking and smoothing try making a hole with a pen and rolling one end of the arm into a point.  Then you can insert the arm into the body cavity and smooth.  I find that having part if the arm submerged in the body layer of the clay helps to prevent joint fractures like this.  Does that make sense?
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal