collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Adult coloring books  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Adult coloring books
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:15:49 PM »
I heard about them gaining popularity lately, and because boredom, I went to buy one. Luckily they had them cheap at my local 99 Cents store, and......well, frankly, I don't really see the appeal in them. I don't see why they're so popular..... Fortunately, I also bought some acrylic paints, a new sketchbook, and some colored pencils, so I can doodle and customize ponies when boredom hits hard.

[moving to Arts & Crafts ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:47:17 AM by Kiwi »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Adult coloring books
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
I think it kind of depends on the book you buy, some are much more artfully put together than others. I bring a few to color at work everyday, my favorite so far is my Disney Animals book I got. It was kind of expensive, but it's very high quality and it's actually pretty challenging! My sister also got me one for christmas with calligraphy style bad words, it's not very hard to color but boy it is fun to have when it's a bad day! :P I also got a Friendship  is Magic one but I actually don't like coloring in it that much. Overall though I do find it's a challenge to find a fun book to color, I've seen a lot that have either very average art/subjects or just overly simple designs to color in.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »
Maybe they simply aren't for you, that's fine too! :) Honestly I am not particularly excited about them either, although I do undersand the appeal. You and I have other artistic outlets -- I know I'm in my happy place when drawing, crafting and creating! But people who are not into drawing or who don't have other artistic hobbies may find that colouring books give them the same kind of joy we get out of creating. I also think it's the relaxing, repetitive motion aspect that gets people hooked. Many of the adult colouring books have extremely intricate details!

That said, my coworker brought a colouring book to work for some fun lunch break pastime, and I admit it is quite fun! But I wouldn't buy one to fill at home, since I have other projects I rather spend my time with. It's great there's something for everyone, though. :)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
If you don't like coloring, it's hard to get into.  I always LOOOOOOVED coloring as a child, I even have some of my favorite books (all filled in!) saved in my art scrapbook.  I would trace and re-color scenes over and over again.  ahahaha this led into loving animation because the assistants and in-betweeners do a LOT of this!  well they did before computers....

my favorite coloring books are the ones that feature little-known artists.  Or sometimes well-known ones... like the Coloring Heaven Anime Special has line-art by Desti from Collateral Damage Studios (think Rozen Maiden style ;) )
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »
I like some of them, but some of the more popular designs I find tedious to color in. When there's too many little lines and swirls it makes it too un-fun for me to color in. I like kid's coloring books because they offer lots of room for making my own designs, making nice shading, etc.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »
My favorite coloring book is swear words.  I don't tend to like the mandala ones.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
My favorite coloring book is swear words.  I don't tend to like the mandala ones.
I guess to each their own. I don't like swear words, and te mandalas don't interest me. I got the nature theme, but coloring is meh.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline pawpatrolbab

• Power Puff Pony
  • Never be afraid to be yourself
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »
I don’t like adult colouring books, only the kids versions. They made the adult ones so adults don’t feel so insecure colouring in kids ones. It’d really relaxing and fun to do
🌈Wordpress Blog: https://natescoloringbook.wordpress.com/
✨Tumblr Blog: https://crayoncritter.tumblr.com/
I don't have much of a collection anymore due to immigrating but I hope to bring my trade score up so I can participate in the future! Always open and looking to make friends with fellow adults 💙 Please don't hesitate to shoot me a message!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal