collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Seriously?  (Read 3656 times)

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
And yet people don't realize that's the chain of events with the economy...

thieving toys>losing money>losing employees>losing jobs>repeat steps

And...for the love of God parents...watch your children when going down a toy aisle! Stop the sabotaging of our poor toys that are meant to make memories! :mad:

edit: page 2 once again...typical :huh:
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
Sadly, a lot of the larger stores (big box, grocery, etc) can't adequately staff themselves anymore for loss prevention because they're all trying so hard to cut staff to cut costs to increase the almighty profits.  Add that to a society that seems weaned on entitlement and he**-bent on instant gratification, and you've got a recipe for theft. :(

But it is everywhere.  My DS and I were at the local WalMart not long ago, and we saw some parents who were pushing three kids of various ages in one of those ubiquitous blue carts, and all three were enjoying frozen treats from the freezer cases.  Not long after we saw them again, and they were discarding the wrappers on a shelf.  Bet dimes to donuts that those frozen treats were "on the house."  And those are the first people who'll complain when stores' prices go up to account for items stolen ("shrinkage," as I believe it's referred to in the industry).

Oh, sometimes I don't want to live on this planet anymore... what time does the next shuttle to Equestria leave? :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
Sadly, a lot of the larger stores (big box, grocery, etc) can't adequately staff themselves anymore for loss prevention because they're all trying so hard to cut staff to cut costs to increase the almighty profits.  Add that to a society that seems weaned on entitlement and he**-bent on instant gratification, and you've got a recipe for theft. :(

But it is everywhere.  My DS and I were at the local WalMart not long ago, and we saw some parents who were pushing three kids of various ages in one of those ubiquitous blue carts, and all three were enjoying frozen treats from the freezer cases.  Not long after we saw them again, and they were discarding the wrappers on a shelf.  Bet dimes to donuts that those frozen treats were "on the house."  And those are the first people who'll complain when stores' prices go up to account for items stolen ("shrinkage," as I believe it's referred to in the industry).

Oh, sometimes I don't want to live on this planet anymore... what time does the next shuttle to Equestria leave? :lol:

True that on that as well.

And I don't know when the next flight with me...hey, when you find out, send me a PM will ya? I'm interested in getting the he-err heck outta earth XD
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
If you think thats bad...Im sure you would be disgusted by the amount o women using their baby strollers to steal. At least 3 at my store alone. :/ they think because they have a baby with them they will not be arrested..wrongo people they zip tie you up and parade you past the front just like everyone else, then they have you call someone to pick your kid up. I rarely see this at my store our loss prevention guys are really good.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
i went into a toy r us once and saw a woman opening the blind bags and handing all the one to child she opened all of the ones they had and gave all the non doubles to her daughter then they left the bags and cards and just walked out the door i told the manger there but as far i know nothing happened to the woman

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
i went into a toy r us once and saw a woman opening the blind bags and handing all the one to child she opened all of the ones they had and gave all the non doubles to her daughter then they left the bags and cards and just walked out the door i told the manger there but as far i know nothing happened to the woman

Well their loss prevention people must have been asleep!

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

Well their loss prevention people must have been asleep!
if they have any the toys r us that i go to needs more people and they are hiring but they arnt trying to get any more employs my boyfriend applied there and he goes in asking about his application they say we haven't reviewed them yet the problem is there is uselessly only 1 to 2 people there at a time from talking to the empolys they are very strained

starlightcomet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
For some retailers, it can also upsets stock control so while the store system says they have 10 in stock and does not request more items, it could be that those 10 have been stolen and therefore the system will never show out of stock and replacement stock will not be forth coming.

Yeah I think that is what has happened for that 1 supermarket I visited a couple times. staff said it was showing up as lots in stock but there was none. Next time I went in it was the same, no MLP blind bags though I didn't ask what the stock was showing.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
All we really have in this world is our integrity.  If you are willing to lose your integrity over a $2 plastic toy, then I feel very sad for you.  Stealing from a big company like Walmart DOES affect us all, and those who choose to steal drive up the prices for the rest of us decent people.   

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

biologistkid

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
At the store where I work, we as employees are not allowed, under nearly all circumstances, to intervene when we witness a theft.

We are only allowed to treat the thief as a normal customer, ie ask "Did you find everything? Can I help you?"

We are not allowed to ask them to pay for their item (even those at the cash register, where I work.). We are not allowed to say "Do you have a receipt for that?". We are not allowed to write down their name, description, or license plate number. We are not under any circumstance allowed to stop them in any way.

Because that is "the job of loss prevention."

The problem is, by the time an employee learns of a theft (whether by witnessing or by another customer asking about it), and we manage to contact loss prevention, it's too late.

The only time we can intervene with a theft is :
1.) We are loss prevention staff and we are there at the time of the theft (which we are not, and since loss prevention does not actively walk around the store, they are often not there).
2.) We are personally requested by loss prevention to intervene (ie, they've seen someone on camera pocketing many big-ticket items around the store, etc. )

The bottom line is, the only way to prevent these sorts of losses is thru having integrity. Unfortunately, with small product such as food or blind bags (trading cards are prone to this, too) people assume that the company makes a large enough profit to "absorb" these losses. Which, we don't. When many people have this mentality the costs add up - which is why theft raises cost for everyone.

Please, please: as small as one BB pony may be, it hurts everyone if you decide to steal. It's not that hard to learn the codes for the ponies you want!

(And, as someone mentioned, this is called "shrinkage" / "shrink", because it "makes profits shrink." But shrinkage includes things like ordering too much stock, having to put items on clearance, damaged stock, lost/stolen stock, returned items, etc.)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
At the store where I work, we as employees are not allowed, under nearly all circumstances, to intervene when we witness a theft.

We are only allowed to treat the thief as a normal customer, ie ask "Did you find everything? Can I help you?"

We are not allowed to ask them to pay for their item (even those at the cash register, where I work.). We are not allowed to say "Do you have a receipt for that?". We are not allowed to write down their name, description, or license plate number. We are not under any circumstance allowed to stop them in any way.

The problem is, by the time an employee learns of a theft (whether by witnessing or by another customer asking about it), and we manage to contact loss prevention, it's too late.

1.) We are loss prevention staff and we are there at the time of the theft (which we are not, and since loss prevention does not actively walk around the store, they are often not there).
2.) We are personally requested by loss prevention to intervene (ie, they've seen someone on camera pocketing many big-ticket items around the store, etc. )

The bottom line is, the only way to prevent these sorts of losses is thru having integrity. Unfortunately, with small product such as food or blind bags (trading cards are prone to this, too) people assume that the company makes a large enough profit to "absorb" these losses. Which, we don't. When many people have this mentality the costs add up - which is why theft raises cost for everyone.

Please, please: as small as one BB pony may be, it hurts everyone if you decide to steal. It's not that hard to learn the codes for the ponies you want!

(And, as someone mentioned, this is called "shrinkage" / "shrink", because it "makes profits shrink." But shrinkage includes things like ordering too much stock, having to put items on clearance, damaged stock, lost/stolen stock, returned items, etc.)

That is the SAME exact policy at my store. I work at meijer and I think the policy is absolutely ridiculous. I've witnessed theft so many times and can't do anything. If the beeper on the doors goes off, I'm not allowed to follow them through the doors or look at their receipt or nothing. Sometimes people stop and all I'm allowed to do is tell them it's okay to go. A manager or greeter is the only person that can look at their receipt or stop them.. It's ridiculous.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Binny

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
When I was at Walmart, they had this little section with wrist bands and rings hanging, and some of the rings had been torn out of their cardboard holders; obviously someone just stole them. It was very disheartening to see. :(

biologistkid

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
That is the SAME exact policy at my store. I work at meijer and I think the policy is absolutely ridiculous. I've witnessed theft so many times and can't do anything. If the beeper on the doors goes off, I'm not allowed to follow them through the doors or look at their receipt or nothing. Sometimes people stop and all I'm allowed to do is tell them it's okay to go. A manager or greeter is the only person that can look at their receipt or stop them.. It's ridiculous.

(( shh I work at Meijer!! teehee. ))

Especially on "Fast Lanes" aka self-checkout. All I can do is just hope that people have scanned everything - when I'm down there by myself, running 8 lanes, there is no way for me to know that someone has scanned everything or not opened a package until it is far too late for anything to be done about it.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »

those are ridiculous store policy's can you at least call the police when i worked at a gas station if someone stole somthing we wrote down their discripion and they were basically banned from the store and we could call the poilce if they stole anything even a candy they store mangers said call them first but we could it was best not to for small items thou but people would still get baned

biologistkid

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
those are ridiculous store policy's can you at least call the police when i worked at a gas station if someone stole somthing we wrote down their discripion and they were basically banned from the store and we could call the poilce if they stole anything even a candy they store mangers said call them first but we could it was best not to for small items thou but people would still get baned

No, we are not allowed to call the police. From the telephone at the register I do not believe you can even call an out-of-store number.

Like I said, we are not allowed to write anything down. We could not write down descriptions or license plate numbers, etc. We are also not allowed to call the store manager, only loss prevention.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal