collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: rerooting saran vs nylon/PP  (Read 394 times)

z2000

• Trade Count: (0)
rerooting saran vs nylon/PP
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
Hey all,

This is MaryAnn .. I'm new here. So I've rerooted lots of Barbies/Silkstones and FRs and always have used saran. But I'm noticing for the MLPs you seem to prefer nylon ... I am guessing because of the curl factor?

I am going to get a few bait ponies to try my hand on and wanted to order some hair. Could you let me know what you prefer, nylon/pp - and are there any favorite colors you like to work with?

Thanks!

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
Re: rerooting saran vs nylon/PP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
Hello and welcome to the Arena. :)

I love both saran and nylon. Saran is great for sleek, smooth styles (I'd probably use it more if there were a better color selection) and nylon is perfect for waves, and curls. I think most pony customizers prefer nylon because that's what My Little Pony hair is. ;)

Some of my favorite colors to work with are Blizzard, Starlight, Sunlight, Hematite, Bougainvillea, Daiquari Ice and Bobby Blue....There are so many beautiful colors to choose from it's hard to decide. :P
I love using Blizzard (matte white) mixed with translucent colors - I especially love pairing it with Hematite.
Starlight takes dye amazingly well and still retains it's sparkle.
Sunlight is great for adding subtle metallic highlights.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

z2000

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »
Wow!! Your work is amazing!!

Thanks for your reply. Yes of course nylon is the original, why didn't I think of that. Those colors are really amazing. There's so much more variety than saran it seems.

I have not tried dying the hair myself but I want to do that - do you ever worry that it might stain the pony? I had read somewhere you had to be careful with that but maybe that's not true. I'd love to dye, that seems really fun.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:42:36 PM by z2000 »

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
I really like all the types of hair and the doll hair carriers but have been obsessed with RDUS's 52" nylon in True Blue and Delphinium - the 36" nylon in Siberia, Mardi Gras, Diablo (which is so gorgeous!!!!) and Dewdrop. I also like the PP in Disco, Delta and Chartreuse. She has some wonderful specialty hair too :)

You can see some of the colors at my deviantart - I usually list colors and where they are coming from :)

http://joshsponyprincess.deviantart.com/gallery/

z2000

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
You like them blues!! Gorgeous. Interesting, I didn't realize RDUS has different colors than RDUK. Oh the way those hanks are so sumptuously laid out just calling my name ...

Your work is awesome! My favorite is Dandelion Drift. Love how you work the hair styles with the swarovski chrystal - I use those for doll jewelry ..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal