collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are older MLP toys still child safe?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Are older MLP toys still child safe?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
Considering all the other dangerous chemicals that humans are exposed to on a regular basis in today's world, I'd seriously stop worrying about your plastic ponies that make you happy!  :)

This. I mean you walk into a grocery store to buy some nice plates/bowls and what do you see? a label warning about how chemical agents in it have been known to cause cancer and they sell that to us boxed up all pretty.

Besides, we came out alright playing with our MLPs and our Barbies and TMNTs and Transformers. I've never heard of a plastic pony killing a kid yet. Although I do wash and sanitize all second hand toys that come our way...just in case

as long as you don't give it to a kid who'll nom it then you should be ok
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:48:11 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »
Are they as safe as properly manufactured, tested to within an inch of their life toys? Nope probably not. Are they as safe as most of the mass market, made in Chinese factories, toys that we get on shelves today? Yes, probably. Would I let a kid play with them? (Well no because they are MY ponies :P) but in seriousness yes I would. Would I encourage a child (or an adult! :P) to eat, chew or lick ponies...nope but thats just unsanitary.

Its not the paint on the symbols, as others have mentioned its more the chemicals used in the plastic which would be worrying. But in general there is nothing likely to be floating around in them that kids are not exposed to through being on this planet every day.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Truly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
One thing that I always check for with a second hand pony for safety is rust and mold inside and out, I'm sure that may cause an issue for a little one, or even an adult that is sensitive like myself. The mould especially, yucky! I really don't know about the plastics to be honest but I'm sure if you don't bite/chew/lick/eat a pony that it all should be good!
Oh and bugs inside ponies *shudder* I think those are more of a worry!
I do honestly think that most g3 and G4 ponies are safest though. The plastic seems to be like that of most other toys out there that kids are exposed to anyway. I do question funko figures however, so many times I'll open up a lovely new funko and be hit with a nasty toxic smell, though funko ponies are a great size for everyone, I really question the safeness of the plastics used and how it may affect children. I guess they really are meant to be just collectables in their boxes lol.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »
Maybe I'm not as careful or paranoid, but my 7 month old has his own chief to play with. He didn't have any hair left so I boiled him in oxyclean and handed it over to the baby. He's been playing, chewing and drooling all over him for months now. Unless the pony is actively seeping plastizier I wouldn't hestitate to hand them over to a child. We played with much more dangerous things as kids. You should read the warnings on toys nowadays. Nothing is safe for anyone anymore.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
In my opinion, as long as it doesn't have lead or radioactive chemicals or something in it, that's pretty good by me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
It's something I have thought about. I wondered if the plastic might have degraded over time and made them less safe to be used as actual toys. But I'm sure they couldn't do any real harm :P

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
I really wish we had a consultant scientist for all our plastic questions
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
I really wish we had a consultant scientist for all our plastic questions
This would be so awesome, can you even imagine?  They'd probably be quite the popular member!

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 04:38:05 PM »
Does anyone have any contacts? It would be amazing if we could set up a Q and A with someone in toy manufacturing
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
Phthalates are the only thing I worry about with MLP toys... so leaking plasticizer issues. Whenever I get a pony for a custom I make sure and scrub the whole body with soap, just to get off any scum I can't see. Most of my customs are FBRs, so I figure that'll be ok.

Take note, though, that I've had way more trouble with leaking plasticizer in the G3 line than the G1s. Most of the G1s I get my hands on are fine, or have already leached away all their plasticizer and have none left (rock-hard), but several G3s, especially the Divine Shine ponies (so sad) continue to leak every month or so. I'm about this close to getting rid of them because I'm sick of having to wash them over and over.

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 06:58:35 AM »
Maybe I'm not as careful or paranoid, but my 7 month old has his own chief to play with. He didn't have any hair left so I boiled him in oxyclean and handed it over to the baby. He's been playing, chewing and drooling all over him for months now. Unless the pony is actively seeping plastizier I wouldn't hestitate to hand them over to a child. We played with much more dangerous things as kids. You should read the warnings on toys nowadays. Nothing is safe for anyone anymore.

Glad to see someone else say this. One of the first things I gave my daughter was a G4 pony, which she chewed on. I thought the reason they are for ages 3 and up is the rubber bands and small accessories, so I put those up for later. She plays with my G1 ponies, too. She's past the age where everything goes in her mouth, but I don't remember when she started playing with them. I never even thought about them being hazardous.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Since I have sent items to be tested for child safety at work multiple times, there is a general rule of thumb... don't let children consume toys and be careful of them sticking anything in their mouths regardless of the age of the item. (Most good baby toys have been tested more vigorously and should be safer) 

Even a lot of items in the house (not necessarily toys) can be more toxic than the older pony toys. (Remote controls may not be tested, etc....) Older pony toys are breaking down over time so it does make sense to be careful, but I do not think its an issue for them to be around children, as long as they don't put them in their mouths.

The toxic levels of any of the toys during the lead scare a few years ago was low and only if an entire item was eaten or all the paint sucked off could a child have gotten sick.

It know its bad, but I can name a few toys (and necklaces, those are the worst) that i used to put in my mouth as a child... but I turned out okay. :P

On a related note: for anyone with children, be very careful of necklaces and jewelry for kids. They are not regulated as strictly as toys and I know kids love to suck on them sometimes. Those are very dangerous.
~Foxtale~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal