collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Live Action Jem and the Holograms movie in the works?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
Re: Live Action Jem and the Holograms movie in the works?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
Well there is hope for Jem's crazy hair and outfits- lady Gaga had made that kind of stuff popular for singers again! XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 06:55:30 AM »
WHY SATAN WHY

I love Jem. If this movie bombs a reboot is more unlikely than ever.

What if old fans of Jem hate it but it ends up being successful with the tween audience?

Err, well. Then they might reboot it but I will hate it? XD

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
Well there is hope for Jem's crazy hair and outfits- lady Gaga had made that kind of stuff popular for singers again! XD

Very true. Just look at all the rainbow colored/haired ponies out now. And Monster High. You can wish, right?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
I just don't understand why Transformers gets to be made into this huge blockbuster summer BS but Jem gets to be made into a downgraded Hannah Montana teenage thing.
Not to mention the original creator isn't involved at all, the people who are helming this project are people who did G.I. Joe, Paranormal Activity and JUSTIN BIEBER. How do they know anything about women in the music industry or Jem as a franchise?

I don't need to see this movie to hate it:
-Jem isn't a grown woman anymore, won't be the head of a record label
-She is a teenage girl instead, can't have power this way, can't be a mother figure, can't care for orphan girls like the original Jem
-Entire movie is helmed by men who think they know what girls want based on marketing stereotypes and have never handled similar projects
-No Christy Marx (they didn't even ask her to be involved)

It's just another instance of Hasbro pissing on their girl fanchises to take away anything that was unique about them and turning them into shallow filler material because hey, it's just for girls. No need to make it big or new. The synopsis reads like "female orphan Justin Bieber".

If Christy Marx was to helm a real Jem movie, you betcha she would finally be able to do the things that were considered "too risky" back when Jem was a cartoon.
A lot of her ideas got shot down in the 80s and wouldn't be a problem anymore nowadays.

Just like this year's Transformers movie, I will try to pretend this movie will never exist XD

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
me and my friends are jem boys

Offline Baby_Ponies2014

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Hear now the words of the Great Mother, who of...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 09:24:06 AM »
I feel like the whole social media connected whatever thing is a really cool idea! Like, really, who isn't on some social site now anyway? And why is it so bad for jem to become a teen? Teen. =/= an "LOL SO RANDOM" always giddy, miley cyrus wanna be.
There is always another rainbow, somewhere 'round the bend

CrystalJapan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
Okay firstly social media is going to end up dating the movie, especially if they do end up using things like facebook/twitter/youtube/tumblr. I mean, just think about films that sheerly mention things like my space. even if the social media behemoths stick around for the next 1000 years, website design changes, it'll be looking like google in 2001 in a few years even if they make up fictitious social media because of how web site design changes. 
the internet is forever a contemporary and new thing that cinema more often really clumsily handles.

I don't feel like making her a teen is that bad i hope that they make her a 19/18 year old if anything, though the likeliness of it is another story. However the way the plot synopsis puts it they seem like they are on their way to strip Jerrica of her most forthcoming features, that fact that she did run starlight records and the starlight girls home AND was jem, she was a "have-it-all" 20 something woman that was incredibly hard-working to maintain all of that power.

When you put her character into a teen she wouldn't be too much older than some of the starlight girls themselves! you have to ask yourself "is the average audience going to find it weird that a child has all of this power? or is it just easier to make jem into a Hannah Montana story because we know that process has worked before in recent media?"

I hate to be a cynic but my expectations are very low with what's presented to us both the directors track record, the current development team and the no-budget way that they are producing it, i feel like it's more about thinking "what is more likely to happen" than anything.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
“Many people wonder how I feel about it. I don’t think I can hide that I’m deeply unhappy about being shut out of the project,” Marx wrote. “That no one in the entertainment arm of Hasbro wanted to talk to me, have me write for it, or at the very least consult on it. I wouldn’t be human if that failed to bother me.”

My other unhappy observation is that I see two male producers, a male director and a male writer. Where is the female voice? Where is the female perspective? Where are the women?,” she asked about the film, which Chu, Blum and Braun will produce alongside Hasbro.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-jem-creator-shut-out-film-adaptation-20140324,0,6809310.story#ixzz2xYs0vgiD

Exactly Christy.   

Seriously- wouldn't it have made sense to at least consult the original creator and writer of the original show?   Her original ideas were wildly successful and she's still a writer and designer, I'm sure she would have had some good ideas on how to keep the spirit of the original Jem while appealing to today's audience.   

The way they are handling this film makes me a bit sad.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »
Wow! I won't be going to see this.. The worst actors on the plannet playing as some of my favorite chars. Sorry if this ofends anyone but this is my opinon. I hope it never goes into the making. And if the cast miley as jem what I wonder is the message here.. Look at what she has become. And justion.. Ugh there are no words.
:accomplished:

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
Given what counts as "music"  and "music videos" these days...?

Making Jem live action saddens me.  It's just... going to be filled with mostly naked super skinny bimbos and be all about sex.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
I feel a little iffy about this.  I mean it probably won't be 80's style, because they want to keep up with what's hip and happening now for teens and kids.  Obviously it won't be the same voice actors singing either.  I hope this won't be a disaster but I have a feeling it will.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal