collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to my first convention soon... any advice?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Going to my first convention soon... any advice?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
As a veteran con-goer, I can add the following advise and seconds:

-Comfy shoes: Definitely! You'll be on your feet a lot, and depending on the convention, there may not be any place to sit other than the floor. (In which case, sit against the wall, if there's one available; then you'll be out of general traffic.)

-Pain/headache medication: Definitely! Even if you're not normally vulnerable to them, a lot of people and a lot of excitement can get you a headacre right quick. As has already been stated, best to have and not need then the other way around - I've been there, so trust me on this.

-First aid kit: Not really necesary, as such, but good to have, especially if you plan to pick up art and business cards; paper cuts happen. So, this essentially means band-aids and neosporin or similar. ;P

- Snacks and bottled water: A very good idea. As has already been stated, food sold at conventions tends to be expensive. Another thought is to not eat in the convention center/hotel restaurant(s) at all - there may be a McDonalds or similar close by. I've actually been able to have the benefit of having a little rice steamer going in my room at a couple of conventions; depends on the hotel's rules. The downside of not having snacks and water with you is having to leave a long line for food when you can't ignore the pain anymore. :huh: Not fun, that.

-Sketchbook: Regardless of whether you draw, it's handy to have. Or a notebook; either one works in this case. This is to kill time in long lines (doodles! :D ) and to also jot down contact information of people you meet and want to yak online with/find on Facebook after the con is over. :3 If you're as scatter-brained as I can be, it's also a good thing to write in the things you saw and want, and their prices/where the booth is for reference after your first go-around. Also, very handy if there are any panels that you want to attend - con exitement can wreak havok on memery (especially mine! lol), so having a something other than a napkin to take notes with is a good idea.

-Camera: OMG, YES! Silliness happens, and a camera is a great way to relive the laughter. Also, people you meet can have their photo taken (with or without you) so you remember what they look like later. One thing to note though: while it's always awesome to photograph folks dressed as characters, always ask permission first. Some people don't like having their photos taken, for one reason or another. This goes the same with displays. Not everyone want someone to photograph their collection or the custom ponies they have for sale. The art show/custom contest may also not allow cameras, so make sure to check before you click. :)

-Cash: Well, yes. Most booths only take cash, and there's no way to do credit cards. At least, that used to be the case. Smart phones and ipads/similar now have the "Square" app, that lets them take credit cards while on the go. I have this myself, after seeing the lady across the aisle using it; little reader plugs into the head phones jack, or you can type the card info manually. It's awesome! Transactions happen almost immediately, I get a notification in my email box about the transaction, and I understand you do too. :) However, if you do bring credit cards to the convention (and you'll need one for the hold on the room, if you're the one reserving it)...

-Tinfoil: Yes, tinfoil. Not much, just enough to wrap your card(s) in. See, there's now this "lovely" (and illegal as all-get-out!) app out there that can let people yoink your credit card's numbers from your pocket if they're within XYZ feet from you. I'm not saying to count on it being used against you, but LA is very big, and there are a lot of people at conventions. So, better safe than sorry. And, tinfoil "foils" the app, apparently. ^.^

- Pencil or pen: This goes with the skethcbook/notebook mentioned above. Also true if you're an artist, don't forget your drawing supplies at home! Having to run to the store nearby and hope they have what you need is never fun. ^.^;

-Swag Bag: This can be as simple as a cloth grocery bag, or a backpack. Most of my friends use one of the two, but then, they're mainly shopping for art and sketches. Still, there's always that "cool thing" you find that takes up more space, so a notebook is definitely out - especially at a pony con! It's also possible there may be someone selling bags with ponies on them, so if you need another one, you might be able to get one. Regardless, make sure it has your name on it, along with telephone number. I've had friends forget their conbag somewhere. Also, if you're really worried about pick pockets, you can wear a backpack backwards - straps on, but the pack is in front, not in back. Not all that comfy, but if you're paranoid, it helps.

-The normal things you pack for an extended trip. Ie, changes of clothing/underthings, socks, toothbrush/paste, bath stuff, any required medications, etc. As someone who sits behind a table all day and typically cannot leave, there's nothing more gross than being assaulted with someone's BO on the second or last day of the con, because they haven't taken the time to change clothing, much less shower. XP

-Air mattress: Say what? Well, beds in hotel rooms tend to be something of a hot commodity. Typically, the person who reserved the room gets one, but that leaves another for people to fight over. I take myself out of the running by bringing an air mattress along with me. Beats the floor! :D

Conduct at conventions!
-Conduct yourself responsibly. Like Rosencratz said, no biting. Also, getting into a fist-fight/verbal yelling match with someone is the quickest way to get you kicked out of the con, even blackballed from ever attending it again. Any weapons that go along with your costume should be prop only - even if you own a cool samurai sword that your personal character always has with him/her, leave it at home, and use cardboard or similar. Weapons are banned at all conventions I've ever attended, primarily for safety reasons. As are PDAs - Public Displays of Affection. I guess the have-nots tend to be annoyed by them. XD

-If you request and pay for art/a custom pony, please don't hover around the artists table waiting for it to be done. Not only is it rude, but it can really interfere with the artists ability to concentrate on what they're supposed to be drawing/painting/whatevering. Also, understand that there may be other people with art ahead of yours, so don't yell at/belittle/both the artist when they don't start your immediately. (This has happened to artist friends of mine. Repeatedly.)

-Please don't crowd out a booth. This kinda goes with the above one, but it's very annoying for the people at other booths when people can't get to theirs because of the crowd around their neightbor's table. Granted, I mainly expect this kind of crowd around anyone demo-ing and or selling video game stuff, but it can happen if an artist is really popular, too.

-Wait your turn. That's only polite. Granted, if the person ahead of you and the person you want to buy from are involved in a person conversation that sounds like it's going to go on for quite some time, you can interrupt, but do so politely by saying either "excuse me but-" or "sorry to interrupt, but-" or similar. We don't mind, normally. :satisfied:

-Accept that there are times when you'll be told something is only for display. There will be some people with their collections on display, and nothing makes a con more annoying then having to argue with someone why they won't sell them their [insert pony name here].

And, a few notes about the hotel room (assuming you're staying at a hotel for this):
1) No matter how late you want to sleep, no matter how much you don't want them to, the hotel staff has to have access to your room to straiten it up. It's their job, and usually a requirement due to safety and fire concerns. You don't have to be there when they tidy up, unless you really want to. If you're paranoid, hide your jewelry/whatever you don't trust someone to wander off with amongst your clothing in your suitcase or wherever.

2) If you have a room party, try not to let it get too loud, especially if it's the last night of the convention. People need to be able to get up on time the next day, for their flights/long drives home, and they can't do that if they're kept up all night by someone else's good time. ;P That being said, being able to have a bunch of friends in your room for an art/video game jam the last day of the convention is an awesome thing. Especially with Smash Bros. is involved. ;)

3) Clean up after yourselves as best you can. I realize that's technically why the hotel staff needs access to your room - to clean it up for you - but that really only covers light cleaning, making the beds and renewing the towels and things, along with vaccuuming the floor. These people have a time frame in which they're supposed to get their rooms done; having to delay getting to the next room because you have pizza boxes and trash all over the room reflects badly on them to their boss (who may not be the kind to take that kind of reason for delay and not write said person up for it). If there are enough rooms at a conveiton that are like this, it also reflacts badly on the convention as a whole, and they may not be allowed back next time. I know of one anime con whose attendee conduct was so bad the entire convention was banned from the hotel and two others nearby. :huh:

4) Don't leave money out. While it's polite to leave some money as a tip for the person who cleans the rooms as a "thanks for doing a good job" gesture, I've had people just take whatever is lying out as a write that it's for them. In this case, it was about $20 worth of loose change we had left scattered on the bedside table, which was for our toll fair on the way home. The owner of said change (not me) was upset enough to get both hotel and con ops involved in that one. >.<

Above all, as has already been said repeated, Have Fun! :D It's why you're there in the first place, yes? :)

(Jeeze that was long... Sorry about that! ^^; )

My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Lilac-Mint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
Hey there bread! I myself have never been to a pony con but I do go to other conventions year round so I hope I can help!

The number one rule is to have fun! Try not to stress out over things or let little things bother you as it really can take away from your con. I always make a check list when I go to a con of things I need to bring, especially if I'm staying at a hotel! That way you can check it to make sure you have everything on your way back. I'm a cosplayer so it's often I don't wear comfy shoes because I want to be accurate but I would definitely say wear comfy shoes! You are on your feet all day and if it's a bigger con it can be difficult to find a place to sit. Always make sure you have water on you! It's a pain to have to buy some and you need to stay hydrated! Definitely bring a 'swag bag' or 'con bag' with you to hold things! I always put my makeup/wig styling stuff, phone and wallet in there! Plus it's easier to carry around instead of a whole bunch of plastic bags filled with things.

I hope this helps you some and I hope you have a great time!

tehflah

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!
Although, I think I now have more questions

2. Bring pain relievers and headache medicine--better to have them and not need them than the other way around.

I'm not sure I understand why I would need those... could you explain?

big cons do commonly charge for autographs, but smaller ones may not

What would count as a big con? The con I'm going to is Equestria LA, but i don't know if it's big or not (however I do know that at least 9 special guests are attending).

Headaches. Ugh. Headaches. Being that this is your first convention, and you're not sure if you're prone to headaches in these situations, I would definitely bring some sort of pain relief. Depending on the venue they've selected, it may or may not be loud for prolonged periods of time. Especially in the vendor halls. Not to mention, as others have mentioned, conventions can be quite hectic if you haven't planned anything, and that alone might trigger a headache.

As for autographs. Well, I know how a few of the other Pony conventions have handled it, but at a glance I didn't see how Equestria LA was going to do it. What the others did was similar to this:

• You stand in line to purchase a voucher or multiple vouchers for the autographs you want.
  • Sometimes they won't all be the same price. I think at Bronycon one of the authographs was $10 more than the others. The voucher fees pay for a lot of things, but notably for their time. Hasbro isn't sending these guests to conventions; from what I gather they come because they want to.
  • When you purchase vouchers, each voucher is worth 1 signature. So if you want a pony toy and a poster signed by Lauren Faust for example, you would need to buy 2 vouchers.
  • Then, you need to see when they are actually signing autographs for the vouchers you have purchased and get in line at those times.
  • Once in line, hang out and do your thang. It might, and likely will be, a long line so be prepared.
  • Once you get your turn, all of the guests will be at the same table and I THINK you can redeem all the vouchers that you have (if all the guests are there) in one go or something similar. I don't think you have to wait in line for each one (that would be sorta rediculous).
  • Feel free to chat it up with them a little. They're people too you know, and they love to talk to their fans! Keep it reasonable though, as you have others waiting patiently for their turn as well.

I think that sums it up. It gets kinda confusing, especially if you're trying to get ALL THE AUTOGRAPHS. Because, odds are, not all of the guests are going to be signing at the same time. It would be nice if Equestria LA had a moment where they were all there though. I know at Bronycon a lot of people were complaining about having to be in line for autographs for the majority of the convention. :huh:

EDIT: As Lunar Scythe pointed out, they may or may not charge for the vouchers. I suppose it could be built into the badge fee somehow. I'd come prepared to pay though. I'll scrounge around in a bit and see if I can dig some info up on this.

The advice I could give to add to everyone elses: DON'T BE AFRAID TO TALK TO PEOPLE. Goodness, I turned my shyness up to 11 at Bronycon and kinda regret it. I've already vowed that if I go next year I will be more talkative. Just remember, the artists, the vendors, the guests, even the other con-goers are there to have fun and mingle. Feel free to chat it up with most anyone you want. Even if you think "oh they'd never talk to me," because odds are they don't look at it that way and would totally like to talk to someone who admires their work, or is just simply also a fan of ponies. No fear man, no fear.

*Drops 2 cents on the table by the door* :P
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:47:33 AM by tehflah »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal