collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 633
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Heavy Duty Dog Toys?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Heavy Duty Dog Toys?
« on: June 14, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »
Does anyone know of any really good heavy duty dog toys that are mentally stimulating, durable and safe to be left with an unsupervised dog? Plus reasonable pricing and able to buy in Australia or online internationally?

My dog gets bored and spends the day sulking, and when he plays with toys he gets destructive (he's a Mini Foxie, everything must die) and everything I buy him ends up in the there, now it's gone forever cupboard. I bought him a new squeaky toy the other day, made out of that durable fabric... it lasted less than 5 minutes! Same with one of those kongs with tennis ball covering, went straight to tearing that off!

In fact, the only toy he's had for his full 3 years so far is a stuffed toy beaver and that's only because I've repaired it too many time to count! She has 3 large patches, no ears, a joker style mouth, all her limbs have been pushed inside her body and sewn shut, bald patches... astonishingly she still has her tail firmly attached! I implanted the squeaker into her, I hope he doesn't maul her,

I can never buy him anything nice! Sometimes things are fine for months and suddenly it's like he just snaps and has to kill kill kill!  :huh: This has become a bit of a ranty thread, his behavioural issues endlessly stress me out but we're working on some positive training.

Anyway, if anyone has a toy they can recommend to survive his deadly chompers it'd be greatly appreciated!  :)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Duty Dog Toys?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »
Kongs unfortunately don't hold his attention. He either gets the treat out in minutes or gets frustrated and starts sulking about it lol. I guess I'm looking for either a noise making toy or a flavoured toy that doesn't get damaged from heavy chewing (I've even tried those weird bacon and chicken flavoured plastic bones... they're like twisted sticks now)... It feels like a hopeless search
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:15 AM »
Indestructible on dog toys is a filthy FILTHY lie.

Thought about flyball training or anything like that?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:05:52 AM by Yuitsu »

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »
What are you stuffing your Kong with? You've gotta make it simple to start with, but not '1 roll and it's out'. You can fill a Kong with about anything - biscuits, mince, chicken, , yogurt, fish, unsalted peanut butter (a personal favourite of my own pup), bread, cheese, bacon, you can even stuff your dog's normal meals in it so it takes him longer to eat it. Once your dog is familiar with the process of eating from it, you can even try freezing it with the fillings in! That way it can last for much longer. Just make sure to get a heavy-duty one for your chewer, and a size that's big enough for him to get right inside it properly.
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »
I usually stuff his small kong with a combination of peanut butter, yoghurt drops, strip treats, dental sticks. But he either gets it out fast or gets frustrated if he can't get it out quick and ignores it so the ants get it instead. I tried using his dinner but same results.

I would love to do flyball or agility training with him but he has hip dysplasia and patella luxation (both knees have had corrective surgeries). He's a small but muscular dog that doesn't know his limits.

I almost feel like I should become a pioneer designer of truely indestructible dog toys. Because if my dog can't destroy it I can pretty much guarantee no dog can, lol. He's a foot tall, weighs 5 kgs but has canines as large as a dog 10 times his size! (I'm actually curious about average dog tooth length because his seem very large, bit off topic but anyone wanna share their dogs dimensions? Height, weight, canine length?)
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »
I was going to suggest kongs :(

What about a real bone with marrow inside? We have psychopug here and he hasnt been able to break a piece of the bone off (so its not a safefty concern like rawhide is) yet goes for hte marrow like the inside treat of a kong.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Phekzhen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
This: http://www.doversaddlery.com/scented-jolly-ball%C2%AE-horse-toy/p/X1-27316/

A family friend owns a pitbull, and he chews through and destroys almost everything. But the jolly ball for horses has been fine, it just has gouges on it form his teeth.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
Rawhide - the really BIG ones?  That'll usually keep a dog occupied...  Just have to make sure that you watch him the first few times to make sure he doesn't rip chunks off and swallow them.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »
One caution I would use with the Jollyballs - they ARE hard. If my dog plays with them inside, he HAS broken things before and it will leave dents and things in your furniture. I also wouldn't let my dog play with one unsupervised, he's managed to hurt himself before with his.

http://katiesbumpers.com/

I really love the toy's from Katie's Bumpers, Ozzy (my Australian Shepherd) chews and her toys have REALLY held up. They also have squeakers in them so Ozzy often runs around the house squeaking the toy. They can be a bit pricey, but in this case you get what you pay for. I spent $12 on Ozzy's regular sized one - 6 months ago and he's STILL not managed to destroy it.

I would also look into some advanced obedience training or scent work. Those are both mentally stimulating activities for your dog but can be gentle on his joints.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
I've found the stuffed toys are only for my dog when we are playing together. If she is alone with the toy she just chews it. What about a bike tire? There are some "indestructable" stuffed toys in the US that do honor their replacement guarentee if they are torn to shreds but I don't know about where you live. How about a treat ball he has to roll around to get the treats out of? Have you tried hide and seek with him to keep him busy? If he can sit stay or start out tied with a leash and then you hide the toy and ask him to go find it. Act all excited when he gets it.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
A mini foxie-- A miniature fox terrier, right?
I have two Jack Russel terriers and they are the same way with toys. If it can be destroyed, it will be, and they don't seem to get interested in toys with treats inside.
I bought two of these for my dogs last year (one in this shape and one with a dinosaur tail) and both my dogs love them to bits. They chew, throw and play super hard with them, but they're still in really good shape without any holes or pieces missing. :)
http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Small-Colors/dp/B0002DJXJE/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
A mini foxie-- A miniature fox terrier, right?
I have two Jack Russel terriers and they are the same way with toys. If it can be destroyed, it will be, and they don't seem to get interested in toys with treats inside.
I bought two of these for my dogs last year (one in this shape and one with a dinosaur tail) and both my dogs love them to bits. They chew, throw and play super hard with them, but they're still in really good shape without any holes or pieces missing. :)
http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Small-Colors/dp/B0002DJXJE/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

I've always wondered about these but the protruding bits put me off. Your dogs haven't managed to chew any bits off?! Yep, he's a Miniature Fox Terrier... a little devil!

Thanks everyone else for the advice, I'll look into all of these when I'm not feeling so sick. I'm experiencing the worst cold of my life, lol.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline RavenWolf

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
I've had the same problem with my champion chewer, He's a golden retriever and destroys in seconds every toy I buy him, and if he doesn't have something to chew on he'd go after pillows. I finally had to resort to giving him bones. I'll buy him those big raw soup bones that still have the marrow in them from the grocery store. I watched him carefully the first few times to make sure he was OK with them. I give them to him frozen and he'll spend hours/ days working on getting the marrow out. Keep an eye on the bones though if it takes him more then a day and a half to get the marrow out you might want to discard the bone or scrap the rest of the marrow out yourself as after a few days it stars to really stink!!! Once the marrow is cleaned out the bone is good for a week or more or as long as he stays interested in it. You just have to check to make sure its not warn down to where he can break large pieces off. Oh and it has to be raw! cooked bones tend to splinter!

If the idea of having raw bones lying around bothers you, they do have "smoked" bones they sell in pet stores I don't like them as they stain whatever they touch and I had tried giving him those "real" smoked bones once... they upset his stomach and he had to spend the afternoon out in the yard.  >_<

Also I have heard that deer antlers are also safe for dogs to chew on, but as the bones worked and are easy to come by I never got around to trying them.

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »
Hmmm, this is a problem that I've suffered with my own dog (he is a minature poodle...and three so he has yet to decide it's just a phase. lmao)There was even a point where he ripped a door stopper off the wall to chew on, and he only has one toy that has survived ages. It is actually a cheap little ring from the dollar store, and he plays with it all the time. I have no idea how something so cheap and flimsy could be so durable. What I usually do is buy him rawhides that are a size or so bigger than what he needs. I hate the idea of him choking on one, and he likes to try and chew up/swallow the smaller ones. You might try it? I'm not sure if I would leave my dog alone with one though. I just know that's what has replaced his toys in general.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal