collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What do you think of Furbys?

Scary... they're possessed!
16 (30.2%)
Cute... they're so fuzzy and small!
36 (67.9%)
What the heck is a Furby?
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Furbys!  (Read 8984 times)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
Furbys!
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
I can't be the only Furby lover here, right? Right? :D

Maybe I am, but anyway, I was curious and thought: What does the Arena think of Furbys?

I have a small collection of about 6 Furbys, and I was wondering if anyone else collected (or maybe just owned) Furbys. All of my Furbys are V1 ('90s) Furbys, but they did release some newer Furbys in about 2005.

Are they scary? Cute? Furbyish? What do you think? ^^ let's start a Furby discussion!

Edit: Shoot, does this belong in the Dollhouse? If it does, can someone move it there for me? Sorry!

Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Re: Furbys!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
I still have my Furby around somewhere, I thought they were neat :) the baby furbys looked weird tho, didn't care for them
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
Yay! x3

I agree, though, I'm not too fond of the Furby Babies. I have one that my mother found at a thrift store for me, and I don't think I'll be getting any more. :/

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
I had a Furby in college that my mom got for me the first Christmas they came out (so like, 1998 or something?)  My mom heard they were the toy to get that season, and missed buying me and my brother toys, so hence I got a Furby, lol!

Consequently the following year my roommate also got a Furby, so we would make them talk - much to the annoyance of our other roommates!  :P

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
They reminded me a lot of Gizmo from Gremlins but a bit cuter. My sister and I actually received one each from our dad when we were kids because we asked for one (hers was black and white and mine was grey and black polka-dotted with pink hair) and we really liked it for about a week. Then the talking mechanism got a bit annoying and we shut it off and it just got tossed somewhere.

I remember those rumors about Furbies being some secret device used by the CIA or whatever to record political secrets lol.

We weren't very careful to keep our childhood toys. I don't think I have a single childhood toy of mine while my sister's sister-in-law kept her toys from 30 years ago.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
I like the old ones and have a few. I love the babies too.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
I love them, as long as they aren't talking, then I get creeped out. I own one, its got bright blue eyes and is magenta & dark brown / grey / black colours, I have had it for ages, and have had a few others pass through my hands, I am quiet fond if this one though :)

My mother LOVES them, hates my ponies, but will happily sit playing with a talking furby for ages.

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
I know I had one when I was younger, but I don't remember anything about it. :\
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Aster

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
I had one as a kid, back when they were huge. Man did it creep me out...
I like them in general, but the one I had would randomly start talking out of no where. And it didn't help that I used to sit it next to the tv with me, so it picked up and repeated the most random phrases. The only thing I really remember was one night I woke up to it talking so I buried it under stuff in my closet, only it went off again a hour or so later, so I got up and put it in the oven in our kitchen... and then woke up later to my mom screaming, as she apparently turned the oven to preheat without checking inside of it first... >.>

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
I love Furbies, though I don't collect them.

I have a couple of limited Furbs (Gizmo from Gremlins and a Christmas one), and a couple of regular ones. I never could get mine to copy me though! :P

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
Cute!   I had a couple and a baby.   Still have them I think.   

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Ooh! Lots more feedback since I left :o

I'm too young to have had one as a kid (they came out when I was around two, I think), so unfortunately I can't relate to having had them as a child. But I remember hearing stories about people lining up at Wal-Marts at midnight to get the things... man, that sounds so insane. Like Zhu Zhu pets a couple years ago, but even more extreme. 0_o

I had one as a kid, back when they were huge. Man did it creep me out...
I like them in general, but the one I had would randomly start talking out of no where. And it didn't help that I used to sit it next to the tv with me, so it picked up and repeated the most random phrases. The only thing I really remember was one night I woke up to it talking so I buried it under stuff in my closet, only it went off again a hour or so later, so I got up and put it in the oven in our kitchen... and then woke up later to my mom screaming, as she apparently turned the oven to preheat without checking inside of it first... >.>

Oh dear, oven Furbys! That does not sound fun 0_o

I remember those rumors about Furbies being some secret device used by the CIA or whatever to record political secrets lol.

Agh, I read about that! My dad says they're still banned from the Pentagon today, even though it's been proven they can't record sounds, and they're not allowed on airplanes :P

I have a couple of limited Furbs (Gizmo from Gremlins and a Christmas one), and a couple of regular ones. I never could get mine to copy me though!

Ahhhhh you have a Gizmo! I'll admit, I am super jealous :o

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
Yes, Furbies were quite the craze and were sold out everywhere although I don't know if any "it" Christmas toy has ever matched the craziness Cabbage Patch Kids had back in the early 80s. The stories I hear about those days are just insane with parents pretty much beating up other parents for the chance to bring that last doll home to their kid for Christmas.

And loooool @ that oven story. That is awesome.

Offline xdartfrogx

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I love my frogs and geckos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »
Hehe! I had a great collection of them going at one point; over 60! I ended up selling them all back in 2004 on ebay. I only kept the first three I ever got, a cheetah baby, an adult bumblebee, and a tie dye adult all with their original boxes and papers. I would never collect them again though. Took up too much space!

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »
I think my story might take the cake a bit

I had an adult one that was brown when I was young... I loved this thing, took it everywhere (god they talked so much)
To the point where I would take this Furby to the park with me
Long story short, I was playing with it on the banks of a lake, and it fell in. I started to get a bit upset and some guy dipped his arm into the lake and actually grabbed it out of the lake. It was still talking and moving! I still have that Furby, he works for the most part but stalls after a while and needs resetting.

I also have two other baby ones, they're a bit weird though. White eyelashes o_O

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal