collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony: Make Your Mark thoughts... (Spoilers!!!)  (Read 549 times)

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Make Your Mark thoughts... (Spoilers!!!)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 01:15:32 PM »
Spoiler
Personally, I really enjoyed it! There were a couple of things that I didn't really like, namely Opaline feeling a little generic, characters doing/believing things that felt as though they shouldn't have logically (that was phrased strangely but words are hard), but overall, I thought it was great!

Whilst there's most definitely room for character development still, I do like the character development that we've seen so far. I love Pipp and Zipp's relationship, seeing Sunny's struggles with managing her magic, Hitch being a father and seeing how he handles it and learning about how much Izzy misses Bridlewood so much (and learning about the traditions).

I also adore Misty. I feel for her and I do hope that she ends up in a better situation in the future.

It's not perfect by any means, but I nevertheless found it very fun and enjoyable and really look forward to future seasons.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 01:21:52 PM by TheClassCalico »

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 07:58:58 PM »
I wanted to like this, and I do think it was better than the special, but it took me awhile to get through it because I honestly got kind of bored.

I really dislike Pipp's social media schtick, I find it annoying and I think it will really date the show in the future. Ponies having smartphones is one thing, but Pipp constantly taking selfies and making Clip Trots as large parts of the plot just gets kind of annoying. I wish she was more of a creative singer, like we saw hints of in Izzy Does It, and less of a vapid influencer.

Zipp's my favorite, she's always been. Although it seems like she's the only one who cares about the plot and all the others are made out to be really dumb just to have it work.

I wish we got to explore more locations than Maretime Bay, it's easily the most boring of the three main towns, and the lack of budget to add background characters makes it sad and empty.

That dragon is ugly and annoying. Looks like a Newborn Cutie with the voice of Bibble from Barbie Fairytopia. I'm just still not vibing with the character designs in general. It's like they took the stylized face shape of G4 and tried to make it more details and proportional and it just doesn't look right. I don't find the ponies cute. Twilight's cameo is probably the worst of this.

I still don't like the connection to G4, it feels just so disjointed, and like Hasbro only tossed that in at the last minute to get older fans interested. I don't buy that Twilight took away magic that quickly just because ponies were mean to each other. FIM literally had a whole episode about how you shouldn't give up something just because you're scared of it going awry (the Kirin episode).

I have to say, I do love Misty. She's so dorkily cute in her attempts to be evil. I wish Opaline did more than just sit in her lair and have Misty do all the heavy lifting though.

I'm honestly thinking about just checking out of current MLP at this point, because the shows and toys aren't impressing me, and instead just focusing on the older gens and the new Basic Fun stuff.

Offline Rainlove The Pegasus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 05:47:07 PM »
I wanted to like this, and I do think it was better than the special, but it took me awhile to get through it because I honestly got kind of bored.

I really dislike Pipp's social media schtick, I find it annoying and I think it will really date the show in the future. Ponies having smartphones is one thing, but Pipp constantly taking selfies and making Clip Trots as large parts of the plot just gets kind of annoying. I wish she was more of a creative singer, like we saw hints of in Izzy Does It, and less of a vapid influencer.

Zipp's my favorite, she's always been. Although it seems like she's the only one who cares about the plot and all the others are made out to be really dumb just to have it work.

I wish we got to explore more locations than Maretime Bay, it's easily the most boring of the three main towns, and the lack of budget to add background characters makes it sad and empty.

That dragon is ugly and annoying. Looks like a Newborn Cutie with the voice of Bibble from Barbie Fairytopia. I'm just still not vibing with the character designs in general. It's like they took the stylized face shape of G4 and tried to make it more details and proportional and it just doesn't look right. I don't find the ponies cute. Twilight's cameo is probably the worst of this.

I still don't like the connection to G4, it feels just so disjointed, and like Hasbro only tossed that in at the last minute to get older fans interested. I don't buy that Twilight took away magic that quickly just because ponies were mean to each other. FIM literally had a whole episode about how you shouldn't give up something just because you're scared of it going awry (the Kirin episode).

I have to say, I do love Misty. She's so dorkily cute in her attempts to be evil. I wish Opaline did more than just sit in her lair and have Misty do all the heavy lifting though.

I'm honestly thinking about just checking out of current MLP at this point, because the shows and toys aren't impressing me, and instead just focusing on the older gens and the new Basic Fun stuff.
Yes! The Pipp taking selfies was definitely a bit much. I get that Pipp is a viral pony, but maybe tone it down a bit? (yes hasbro, i'm talking to you).
Rainlove
The
Pegasus
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout!

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 05:53:39 PM »
I could sit and watch FiM episodes back to back and not get bored. With this new show, the most I've managed to watch in a row is 3. I have to stop because it gets repetitive and I just feel like I'm watching Paw Patrol or something similar. It's really sad this is such a downgrade from FiM imo :/
:heart:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 08:34:10 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro intentionally made it less interesting to adults?  I seem to recall someone else bringing this up when the movie first came out.  Like maybe they were trying to reduce the adult attention the franchise is getting by making the media less fun for adults. It seems possible given what I've noticed about my own enjoyment of kids shows.  Personally I enjoy watching a show like Arthur or Molly of Denali or Martha Speaks, which are for elementary age kids, but something like Bluey or Elinor Wonders Why or Alma's Way which are more for preschoolers, just don't hold my interest very well.  Its hard for me to get through a full episode. I do think they are well-done shows, its just...the pace is too slow for me or something?  I don't know how to explain it.  But I'm wondering if that is what Hasbro did - just try to kick it back from elementary or older kids down to preschoolers.  I enjoyed the movie and it held my interest the whole time.  The next special was kind of in between, kind of borderline for me.  I haven't seen this batch yet but I just wanted to throw this thought out here.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 06:50:34 AM »
Hasbro's story writing standards keep getting lower if she's taking something away from everyone because they're mean to each other. Like, you can't control what everyone does. Especially years after you are long dead.  You also can't be nice to, agree with, or like everyone 24/7. It's dumb. Princess of Friendship? More like Princess of Powertrips.

Even the bickering brats in Quest of the Princess Ponies can pull it together for something important on their own initiative.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:38:41 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2022, 05:41:52 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro intentionally made it less interesting to adults?  I seem to recall someone else bringing this up when the movie first came out.  Like maybe they were trying to reduce the adult attention the franchise is getting by making the media less fun for adults.
I wouldn't be surprised at all! The brony fandom make G4 more popular, and therefore more profitable, but the adult side of an adult fanbase caused problems for Hasbro. I can see why they wouldn't want it to happen again.
:heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2022, 02:39:20 PM »
Well hopefully kids will enjoy it anyway.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal