collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about polymer clay and Apoxie  (Read 356 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Question about polymer clay and Apoxie
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »
Hi guys!

I am going in to uncharted territory for myself. I have been using apoxie sculpt for most of my sculpted customs, but for this next one I am going to be using a polymer clay.

First off any tips about working with polymer would be great since I found out it is a much softer clay when I was messing with some when me and my daughters were sculpting. Anyway to make it a little firmer to work with?

The thing is for this next piece I am thinking of using both Apoxie Sculpt and polymer clay, so does anyone know if apoxie can survive in the oven after it has hardened??

Also am I able to paint the pony before baking the polymer in the oven or do I have to paint afterwards? I am guessing that since I am using acrylic paint that might be a bad idea to bake after painting a little bit...

Thanks in advance!
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Tyrsalc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about polymer clay and Apoxie
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »
If you let the clay set in the fridge for a bit it will stiffen up. I had to do that since clay acts different up here in the mountains compared to where I used to live. I had to work with the clay a bit, pop it in the fridge for a while, then work with the clay again....it was a continuous cycle. lol

I'm not sure about the Apoxie Sculpt brand, but my husband used green stuff (basically a type of apoxie that the Games Workshop company sells to it's gamers) and it handled the oven just fine when I baked it at 200-215 F. It didn't seem to droop, melt, get soft or brittle, or anything.

I've never tested baking a painted pony, but I have heard that the paint can bubble up. I've always baked then painted.

After baking the plastic on the pony will be VERY soft, try not to touch it until it has cooled down or you might run the risk of the clay separating from the plastic. The plastic will bend and the clay won't.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
If you let the clay set in the fridge for a bit it will stiffen up. I had to do that since clay acts different up here in the mountains compared to where I used to live. I had to work with the clay a bit, pop it in the fridge for a while, then work with the clay again....it was a continuous cycle. lol

I'm not sure about the Apoxie Sculpt brand, but my husband used green stuff (basically a type of apoxie that the Games Workshop company sells to it's gamers) and it handled the oven just fine when I baked it at 200-215 F. It didn't seem to droop, melt, get soft or brittle, or anything.

I've never tested baking a painted pony, but I have heard that the paint can bubble up. I've always baked then painted.

After baking the plastic on the pony will be VERY soft, try not to touch it until it has cooled down or you might run the risk of the clay separating from the plastic. The plastic will bend and the clay won't.

Thank you! That is helpful information. I figured that the paint would be a bad idea lol :p
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
The thing is for this next piece I am thinking of using both Apoxie Sculpt and polymer clay, so does anyone know if apoxie can survive in the oven after it has hardened??
I found this answer on Aves Website
Bake with polymer clays

Yes! Apoxie® Sculpt is designed to withstand temperatures up to 350 degrees F. for best results we recommend allowing our product  to cure before baking.

Also am I able to paint the pony before baking the polymer in the oven or do I have to paint afterwards? I am guessing that since I am using acrylic paint that might be a bad idea to bake after painting a little bit...
There has been cases where paint will bubble in the baking process.. so short answer, paint after baking
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
Interesting, I often wondered about this ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal