collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 66225 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »
She's the least popular, but her fans are the most militant.

And bronies in general are change adverse.  Remember the collective temper tantrum they threw for Twilycorn and Equestria Girls?
Not really.  Bronies are pretty easy to avoid as it turns out.  They can love her all they want, but I think Hasbro won't have any problems ignoring them if they aren't dishing out the $$$ for toys.  I think they see the momentum slowing down which is why they're looking for a reboot with a new audience and what's left of the old.

In general, I don't really like the idea of MLP as comic-type heroes.  I'm more into pastoral/wilderness ponies.  But, G1 is my pony generation and I don't think they can bring it all the way back to it's origins.  They'll do what they want, and if there are any cute pony toys as a result, I don't mind.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2017, 09:58:04 PM »
I actually think the style of the supposed concept art looks nice especially since they look more horse-like again.

But the thought of them focusing on the Mane 6 again in G5 or making FiM 2.0 is giving me absolute dread.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #227 on: December 26, 2017, 04:39:42 AM »
Hmmm, just saw some news about Equestria Girls and suddenly had an idea.  What if Hasbro used EG to keep the mane 6 characters current and relevant but allowed the MLP main line to develop a new cast.  Then Hasbro could have their cake and eat it, too.

I would actually be happy with that. I like EQG characterisation even though the whole thing is predictable in the end, and with the new reboot of the dolls, I think it would be unlikely they'd be doing that with a view to completely cut them or change them in 2 years from now.

I would be ok with the mane 6 living on in the form of the dolls. But I won't recognise anything as G5 if it just involves remaking the same characters exactly. I don't mind if one or two stay, but for me the current mane 6 are part of the problem, not part of the solution, and needs a refresh.

This from a girl who has an increasing G4 collection of non-mane 6 ponies. ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
What's the news about Equestria Girls?

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
The Mane 6 are a part of the problem.  They're not Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, and Starscream.  I forget where I heard or read it, but Faust said she based each of the six on different mental disorders.  That's not a foundation you build icons on.

If anything, trying to just reboot with them runs the risk of what happened to Transformers G2 where the recolors turned off old fans and the lack of new characters turned off potential new fans.  If they're going to take away everything that makes Applejack Applejack, then why keep her as Applejack?  There's more to this brand than these six ponies.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
The Mane 6 are a part of the problem.  They're not Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, and Starscream.  I forget where I heard or read it, but Faust said she based each of the six on different mental disorders.  That's not a foundation you build icons on.

...are you sure that's a legitimate quote from Lauren Faust? It really sounds like something that a Tumblr user would make up :s

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
What's the news about Equestria Girls?

OH, just a possible new theme coming up.  "Equestria Land" as in a theme park theme for the dolls.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »

If anything, trying to just reboot with them runs the risk of what happened to Transformers G2 where the recolors turned off old fans and the lack of new characters turned off potential new fans.  If they're going to take away everything that makes Applejack Applejack, then why keep her as Applejack?  There's more to this brand than these six ponies.

Oh that? Nah. Some fan pulled that story outta their hiney and spread it around the net.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »
lol that was literally some brony's attempt at the lamest creepypasta ever.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2017, 12:14:46 AM »
Having seen the pic with AJ and Fluttershy on it....

....it looks like someone's fanart. Nothing I will lose sleep over. Character design concepts can also rapidly change during the various stages of design. If this one is legit then I assume it could be the early stages when multiple artists and designers throw their ideas out there.
You can get an idea of this when you look at "The Art Of" books for various animated movies. You'll notice a lot of characters looked vastly different in the early stages and the images vary in style and quality based on the artist.

That being said, I think an eventual G5 wouldn't look like this pic. Why? Because Hasbro is cheap. Animating all those details is a hassle and they are notoriously stingy when it comes to different body molds. AJ looks really cool, imo. I would embrace that G2 on FIMroids look.

I agree - the final product (if there is a reboot) will probably be less detailed, because the leaked designs (especially AJ's) are much too detailed and expensive to produce and sell for $5 a pop! But, one thing they could do is increase the price and up the quality - something to look forward to, perhaps? :)
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2017, 02:30:55 AM »
Oh good.  Though, I think the current writers are operating on that really being the case.  Because having characters with mental problems makes the show deeper and more mature.

And that's something that really scares me about leaving this in the hands of the current creative staff.  They have this warped idea of what MLP should be.  Much of it is because of the overcompensating bronies who praised them for brushing up against subjects that are more 'mature' like Applejack's dead parents.  That mentality could continue into the next generation only be even worse.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
It's where the line is drawn for me between adults trying to force their views onto a kids' show/concept or adults just enjoying a show/concept aimed at kids. It happened with Harry Potter, and it has happened with MLP as well. It's why I'm not pro-return of G1 just to make us happy. I feel like the bronies should have been ignored from the start in both the show and the toyline, because if they liked it before that pandering happened, chances are they'd have stayed engaged if they were genuinely interested.

I want G5 to be popular with the kids. I'd love it to be appealing to us as well, but if it's a choice, the kids come first. As a G1 person, I am so glad I didn't have adult collectors or fans muscling in on what my childhood toys were like, their world or anything else. G3 people avoided the influence of collectors because it was really just people buying the toys and not trying to influence the franchise. G2 had complications but I am not sure that can be put down to collector involvement either. But G4? There are too many fans who think they are part of this picture...and they shouldn't be. It's not designed for them. It's there for them to enjoy and if they don't, then that's also fine. So long as the kids are happy.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
Oh good.  Though, I think the current writers are operating on that really being the case.  Because having characters with mental problems makes the show deeper and more mature.

And that's something that really scares me about leaving this in the hands of the current creative staff.  They have this warped idea of what MLP should be.  Much of it is because of the overcompensating bronies who praised them for brushing up against subjects that are more 'mature' like Applejack's dead parents.  That mentality could continue into the next generation only be even worse.

To be fair, Starscream and Megatron are both nuts :lol:
And Bayformers Optimus is incredibly cruel. If that's ok for little boys then ponies with quirks should be ok for little girls.

If I had a wish I would downplay the comedy for G5 and spread the magic more evenly.
It should still be funny but less Animaniacs.
At first I would remove Pinkie's 4th Wall breaking and random Spidey Sense. Give all the ponies powers if they must. Kids love that.
Queen Elsa is really popular because she has a superhero power. Give ponies individual powers like the unicorns had in G1. That could be interesting. Minor ones, like winking or Gusty's wind summoning.
G4 could be a little irksome at times with how powerful the unicorns could be. Imagine Fluttershy with Posey's plant growing talent and she creates habitats for animals this way.

Jenny Nicholson of Sherclop Pones fame also made some nice suggestions in a recent video of hers. She talked about each pony having a different look/gimmick. Fluttershy could be a Breezie, Pinkie could be a Glow and Show, etc.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »
But everyone hates Bayformers Optimus Prime, and it's finally caught up with the movies.  Megs and Starscream are crazy, but they're villains.  And the Mane 6 are far past quirks at this point.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 28, 2017, 03:41:38 AM »
But everyone hates Bayformers Optimus Prime, and it's finally caught up with the movies.  Megs and Starscream are crazy, but they're villains.  And the Mane 6 are far past quirks at this point.

But their toys still sell. Even the Bayformers sell really well. My point was that the characterization didn't stop people from loving the legacy characters. Starscream wasn't even recognizable in toy form but he sold.
What critics said didn't stop them from making 5 movies because the money was still coming in  Only the latest one was somewhat of a dud financially. So I guess these kind if things do not bother the masses and only bother longtime fans.

If the ponies are quirky or insane is in the eye of the beholder. Imo, they only used "insane faces" when they wanted to do over the top physical humor with them (which kids seem to love). I could do without that. Which is why in my perfect G5 I would tone it down.
I would keep Rarity's dramatics, tho :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal