collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4.5 or G5?  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4.5 or G5?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »
I've been calling them G4 Reboot because I remember the G3.5 line wasn't just a change in molds or packaing, it was an entire re-branding of the characters, a completely new art style, new cartoons and the bodies were drastically altered. Like they were solid with HUGE heads nothing at all like the current ponies. All the new toys were based on new illustrations and cartoons but had similar characters.

The change in G4 isn't as drastic b/c the toys are actually meant to look more like the original characters, not something completely new.  Also, with the exception of the movie shading and style, the original cartoon is not changing and the art style on the boxes isn't that drastic.

We can all agree it's not G5 ... at all. But G4.5 vs G4 Reboot remains to be seen. I think and believes it's G4 Reboot but i wouldn't be upset if G4.5 was adapted.

Maybe we need a different name for them besides G4 Reboot that everyone likes? (I think G4.5 is too extreme).

How about G4.2. :P.   I'm only partially kidding.

Lol

I was thinking about other things taht have generations like Corvettes. When things change in a generation they have Late vs Early or they have special named items like Bubble Back.

Sometimes I do refer to things in G1 as late vs early (because of the change in style)  but it is to hard say this is Late G4 until we know when the end is. For now I think we should just stick to G4 (reboot or movie)

Some suggestions:

Reboot
Redesign
New Body
Movie Style
Cartoon Style
Character Style (because they have all these different poses)
(What is that word for when something is just like the cartoon in terms of the way it looks >.>)
~Foxtale~

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »
I think 4.1 would actually be better. It's not a drastic change like 3.5 and leaves room in case there's another slight shift within the generation.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 04:49:11 PM »
The way I have defined this for myself is G4.5.  The reason I made this decision was based on the changes in the line that I do not feel will return to the original design.  It doesn't not make sense that they make all these mold changes and then go back to the original molds.  No, I really feel they will keep evolving or just die out and G5 will appear.  So, I can understand people waiting, but for me it looks like a done deal in the making.  I really feel these changes to the molds are more than just minor adjustments.  They have changed the way the ponies look a lot. My opinion.  I was never a huge G4 fan but, these new molds are making me feel the same way I did when I watched G3 disappear and G3.5 appear. G1 had a long run and they were still making the original molds while adding new ones so I don't feel there ever was a G1.5.  I also remember how I felt when I walked down the isles and saw G1 being replaced with G2.  It was the same sad feeling for me because, I loved G1 and could not relate to G2.  I like them more now as they have grown on me with time.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
tulagirl, that is a sad truth.  Each generation must end and if we are fortunate, another begin.

This is my first generation of pony and while I am now in love with all the generations, the whole thing is still very new to me and I am not ready to move on to G5 just yet.  Fortunately for me, there is a little bit of G4 lifespan remaining and whatever we call it and no matter what is done to it along the way, I plan to relish it as long as it lasts...even if I whine about the latest designs.

As long as FiM remains currently produced, the toys are not yet G5.  If we call these 4.5 and get seven more revisions we may end up with 4.9756236579 but for now 4.5 seems pretty well accepted and I think it's most accurate to say "movie version".  For now I think we understand each other well enough whatever we call them, and that is sufficient.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
The way I have defined this for myself is G4.5.  The reason I made this decision was based on the changes in the line that I do not feel will return to the original design.  It doesn't not make sense that they make all these mold changes and then go back to the original molds.  No, I really feel they will keep evolving or just die out and G5 will appear.  So, I can understand people waiting, but for me it looks like a done deal in the making.  I really feel these changes to the molds are more than just minor adjustments.  They have changed the way the ponies look a lot. My opinion.  I was never a huge G4 fan but, these new molds are making me feel the same way I did when I watched G3 disappear and G3.5 appear. G1 had a long run and they were still making the original molds while adding new ones so I don't feel there ever was a G1.5.  I also remember how I felt when I walked down the isles and saw G1 being replaced with G2.  It was the same sad feeling for me because, I loved G1 and could not relate to G2.  I like them more now as they have grown on me with time.

Why 4.5 instead of 4.1? And come to think of it why was it 3.5 instead of 3.1? It was the first time it veered off from the original version after all.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »
3.5, because there's only 2 parts to the generation. If it didn't divide evenly into 10, or had 10 offshoots, then you would call it 3.1, 3.2, etc... but because it's like saying 3-and-a-half, you say 3.5. It's the way it works with classifications sometimes. (For example, if there were 5 different shapes for G3, they'd be G3, G3.2, G3.4, G3.6 & G3.8, because 5 divides into 10. Your new gen would then be G4, as usual.)

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 04:54:35 AM »
I genuinely think it doesn't matter so much at this point because we don't know where Hasbro are going with this generation. You could I suppose term them G4-Movie (G4M) and see what happens from then on.

I find it irritating when people want to slap division terms on G1 because of the whole G label thing not existing till G3 and even then the idea of a sub generation ddn't happen until Hasbro did weird things with G3 that necessitated it. My point in raising that is that we managed for around ten years after the end of G1 without needing to even call them G1, so any subdivisions now would be forcing new pony concepts on old ponies and I have issues with that on all scales (like the term cutie mark, brony, etc).

BUT I do think that G4 has to be determined on its own terms and based entirely on its own evolution, not necessarily other generation rules, because that makes as little sense.

I personally think G4.5 is applicable IF this turns out to be the permanent change of the line up until it ends, but we won't know that till it does end. G3 was simple really in that regard but we don't know where Hasbro might take these ponies yet.

Going back to a case in point, we didn't call G1 G1 when G2 came out because we didn't know then that there would be a G3 or a G4. There were only old ponies and new ponies. And we don't know at this point if there will be a completely different G5 or if there won't. So firm labelling makes sense only when we know what is or isn't coming next. I actually think that with FIM being so successful, if this one dies, we may see the end of MLP because Hasbro will find it hard to beat...but it also might mean that G4 rivals G1 in terms of longevity and ultimately, variety.

So judging it for itself makes the most sense, and to do so when it's done.

But please, let's not try and assign newer pony class divisions to G1 and G2 where they don't belong. This isn't about G1, G2 or even really G3. It's about G4 itself and that's where the focus needs to stay.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 05:46:45 AM »
I genuinely think it doesn't matter so much at this point because we don't know where Hasbro are going with this generation. You could I suppose term them G4-Movie (G4M) and see what happens from then on.

I find it irritating when people want to slap division terms on G1 because of the whole G label thing not existing till G3 and even then the idea of a sub generation ddn't happen until Hasbro did weird things with G3 that necessitated it. My point in raising that is that we managed for around ten years after the end of G1 without needing to even call them G1, so any subdivisions now would be forcing new pony concepts on old ponies and I have issues with that on all scales (like the term cutie mark, brony, etc).

BUT I do think that G4 has to be determined on its own terms and based entirely on its own evolution, not necessarily other generation rules, because that makes as little sense.

I personally think G4.5 is applicable IF this turns out to be the permanent change of the line up until it ends, but we won't know that till it does end. G3 was simple really in that regard but we don't know where Hasbro might take these ponies yet.

Going back to a case in point, we didn't call G1 G1 when G2 came out because we didn't know then that there would be a G3 or a G4. There were only old ponies and new ponies. And we don't know at this point if there will be a completely different G5 or if there won't. So firm labelling makes sense only when we know what is or isn't coming next. I actually think that with FIM being so successful, if this one dies, we may see the end of MLP because Hasbro will find it hard to beat...but it also might mean that G4 rivals G1 in terms of longevity and ultimately, variety.

But please, let's not try and assign newer pony class divisions to G1 and G2 where they don't belong. This isn't about G1, G2 or even really G3. It's about G4 itself and that's where the focus needs to stay.

I can agree with a lot of your post, Taffeta.  But I'll respectfully disagree with the assessment that ponies will end if/when G4 dies.  The very fact that g4 is so successful guaranties that Hasbro is going to keep trying to catch that ring.  I think it would take a couple generations of failed gens before they would give up.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:55 AM »
G4.1 is confusing to me.. it sounds like 'the first version of G4s' which is what G4s are. It doesn't read clearly enough. G4.5 makes way more sense.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 06:26:57 AM »
I agree that G4.1 sounds like the first version.  I know technically that it's 4.0 then 4.1. But still....     If it were up to me it would be G4.1 when talking about first molds, G4.2 when talking about "reboot" and that still leaves room for more changes later and just G4 when talking about the gen as a whole.

But, eh, as someone else said, as long as we all know what each other is talking about I guess whatever we call them is fine for now.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 AM »

:iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »
We must all never say that MLP will end.  That is too tragic a thought to consider.  I do think each generation that comes and goes will be different from the first.  I really feel that MLP can still come up with new and exciting lines.  FIM ending will not the end of MLP.  This is my hope.  No matter what we all think it should be called, a shift has taken place in the line and a few new things are on the horizon.  We will see where this goes for sure.  I look forward to the future of MLP.  As the needs and interests of young people change toy lines change.  It is fascinating to watch toy history take place. It is nice to be able to note changes through a generation label whatever that may be for reference only.  It just makes things easier.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 07:59:53 AM »
MLP will definitely not end when G4 dies.  The property has been massively successful three different times: in the 80s (G1), in the early 2000s (G3), and in the present (G4).  (And G2 was successful in Europe, even if it didn't take off in the US.)

If it were only G4 then Hasbro might wonder if it was a fluke, but MLP has generated sooo much revenue for them over a span of decades.  I remember in Hasbro's yearly review after the first G3 ponies came out, Hasbro was stunned at how well they sold.  I think MLP will become similar to Transformers, a franchise that is constantly getting toys, merchandise, and reboots.  Some Transformers toylines / shows are great and some aren't, but regardless they are always 'there'. (Let's just . . . ignore the Bayverse movies, okay?  Ugh.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »
No it won't be the end. What I'm really afraid of is that g4 ended good design and quality control forever. Greasy hair, discolored plastic, factory creases, harsh, poisonous, chemical smells, displaced eyes and symbols. Hasbro sucks. G3 was the last gen to look like a horse and not have consistent issues right out of the box.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:03:47 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
G3 was notorious for having QC issues out of the box.  Like when I bought Star Catcher she had huge gouges out of her plastic on her non-display side.

But the worst one I personally experienced was the Spring Basket ponies (Wishawhirl etc) having their tail held in by big ol' clumps of glue, and the glue came a little way out the tail hole.  And the glue had dried into sharp spikes.  Sharp enough that  I ended up bleeding all over my new ponies.  I've often wondered if they got angry letters about that, because it's the only time I've seen a QC issue that was an actual danger.  I bought a bunch of Spring Baskets, BTW (I needed that dark blue hair of Wishawhirl's for customizing, lol) and multiple ponies had the problem, so it wasn't a "one-off" thing.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal