collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are some of your pony misconceptions?  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What are some of your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
Back in Ye Olde Days it was common for eBay auctions not to have pictures, just descriptions.  Also scammers were a lot more common than they are today, and eBay wouldn't do much about them.  No PayPal, so you couldn't get your money back after getting scammed. 

So this one time I took a chance on an auction for "MOC Love Letter Pony" that didn't have pictures.  I won for only $20, probably because the seller had low feedback and most people figured it was a scam.  The seller sent a pony, all right, but it wasn't Love Letter.  It was MOC Love-Pony.  Who I had never heard of or seen before, and no one else had ever heard of or seen before, and WHY WAS SHE ON A MLP TALES BACKCARD??

:wow: That's amazing! :jealous:

A lot of things like that happened back then. In a way it was a lot more unsafe because there was a lot less guarantee that you were getting something real and there were fewer protective things (ie, you sent cash in envelopes quite often, or inside fakies, no paypal, no ebay protection, nothing like that) but on the other hand, it was also more exciting because you had so much unknown out there. I remember loving that the US inserts showed poses mostly, because it meant I could prove and throw it out there that the UK baby sea ponies weren't the same as the US ones, and nor was Confetti. Twisty Tail took a bit longer because by then the poses weren't being used.

The community was smaller and so we knew less but knew each other more, I think. So it was very much on a trust/reference/recommendation basis. And because of that, if someone unknown sold something, you might get a lower price, like LM did, because you;d be taking a gamble.

The dutch ponies also were quite common MOC back then.
I know that is the case because I was 16 or 17 and I had next to no money except what I made selling UK ponies or trading them (which I preferred) and I somehow ended up with three.

I think they were more known on a wider scale in Europe. At least, there were not many UK people, and then not many continental European people, but we did kind of stick together. I remember learning about the Dutch ponies from a friend no longer online called Lieneke (some people may remember her). We used to trade a lot for ponies with her daughter, and some of those ponies we traded were the Dutch ponies.

She was the original source of information on Dutch MLP, I think, but she gave me a different name for Love Pony before any MOC ones came up online. She called her Liefdesbrief which I think means Love Letter, but I've never found any confirmation of that name and as LM's MOC pony proves, Love Pony is her real name. But I remembered what Lieneke said when LM mentioned it was sold to her as Love Letter. I wonder if it was because of the symbol, or if there was actually a marketing thing that called her that.

I also remember some Dutch people back then saying they were knock off ponies, but LM's carded one and others like it kind of challenged that. I've since had information from someone over there who was in the pony community years back and she said that they were maybe franchised out to a specific company so there's some debate about them even now. She was the one who gave information on them to Dream Valley, so that was some long time ago.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1995.html
Maybe someone in the Netherlands will know more.

So a good misconception that maybe people have is - prices of rare things now are the same as they were then, and the same things are expensive now than they were back then.

For example, the first baby Applejack sold on Ebay for $300. Now she's what, a $15-20 pony?

And the first argentinian MOC ponies sold for about $20 a time. Now they're what - $150ish?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:52:52 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
My sister was convinced that the MLP cartoon theme song went 'Willoughby Wonka' instead of 'where will we wander'.  Like some mash-up of Jane Austen and Charlie and the chocolate factory  :snicker:

Going back to collecting as an adult, my mum and I were going through some of the old bags of flea-market finds and found a bunch of weird collector-pose ponies with flower symbols in strange colours.  Turned out to be international birth-flowers!  We didn't know what they were as they weren't on Dream Valley back in the day.  All hail the internet  :lol:

Offline CactusBloom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:34 PM »
I had ponies as a child, and at the time I was forced to quit collecting, the sweet berry ponies were the last set I saw come out at retail.  Fast forward to many years later when I started collecting as an adult, I found a perfume Dainty Delilah.  I did not know her hair was supposed to be like that, so I cut it all off and attempted my first rehair.

LMAO relatable, first time I saw a perfume puff I assumed it was some sort of custom trend!! It took until I saw one MIB to get it!

Wait, so perfume puff ponies aren't a custom trend? I totally thought that they were.
Shows how much I know about G1 haha
Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 12:03:06 AM »
I had ponies as a child, and at the time I was forced to quit collecting, the sweet berry ponies were the last set I saw come out at retail.  Fast forward to many years later when I started collecting as an adult, I found a perfume Dainty Delilah.  I did not know her hair was supposed to be like that, so I cut it all off and attempted my first rehair.

LMAO relatable, first time I saw a perfume puff I assumed it was some sort of custom trend!! It took until I saw one MIB to get it!

Wait, so perfume puff ponies aren't a custom trend? I totally thought that they were.

Lol!
Perfume Puffs were a real thing and there was even a Perfume Puff parlor!
They're scented and so fluffy!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »
Havent seen one in person but they look so ummanageable im afraid to try one.

Are their scents similar to for example Sorbet or what are they like?
(Im hypersensitive to most perfume but Sorbet is nice to me)
Another aspect that makes me afraid to try one...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:25:52 AM by lostpony »

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 03:34:41 AM »

LMAO see! i'm not the only one!! here's some MIB photos for you.

wishlist

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
My sister was convinced that the MLP cartoon theme song went 'Willoughby Wonka' instead of 'where will we wander'.  Like some mash-up of Jane Austen and Charlie and the chocolate factory  :snicker:

Going back to collecting as an adult, my mum and I were going through some of the old bags of flea-market finds and found a bunch of weird collector-pose ponies with flower symbols in strange colours.  Turned out to be international birth-flowers!  We didn't know what they were as they weren't on Dream Valley back in the day.  All hail the internet  :lol:
Ha ha! As a kid I never knew what the "where will we wander" line was either. I love your sister's interpretation. And how awesome that you found those alternate birthflowers! Were they at all common secondhand back then? I imagine they're not at all common now.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2017, 06:48:45 AM »

Willoughby Wonka! :lol: That's cute.

When I first saw the G4s, I thought they were new G3.5s.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »

They are the only scented ponies I actually like the scent of, because they are floral and not sickly sweet. But if other ponies bother you scent wise, these probably would as well.

It's a shame there's no way of setting up an online sniff test so people could figure stuff like that out before buying them. We can record sound bites and take photos, but scratch-and-sniff images are still a thing of the future...

As for that theme song, I had no idea for a long long time what any of that line was about. All of it, the hither and yonder bit as well.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »

They are the only scented ponies I actually like the scent of, because they are floral and not sickly sweet. But if other ponies bother you scent wise, these probably would as well.

It's a shame there's no way of setting up an online sniff test so people could figure stuff like that out before buying them. We can record sound bites and take photos, but scratch-and-sniff images are still a thing of the future...

As for that theme song, I had no idea for a long long time what any of that line was about. All of it, the hither and yonder bit as well.

I...I wonder how that would work?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »

I...I wonder how that would work?

Meh, I'm a historian. I leave that stuff to the technical people to work out.
Though I admit that scratch-and-sniff spam popup adverts might be problematic, so maybe it's better we don't have that technology yet...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »
Maybe they send you a scratch and sniff sample through a special fax machine?

lostpony

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
Well it's actually understood how scents work now. We have receptors that the various particles fit into and each scent is a combination of specific receptors firing so, its possible to formulate the scent "alphabet" and send data to a device to produce a scent the way we do for say, color inkjet printing so the technology really can happen now if theres a perceived marketable application.

If Sorbet doesnt bother me then maybe i could try a perfume puff but do they have any scent left? I've had 5 sorbets and only two smell.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
Well it's actually understood how scents work now. We have receptors that the various particles fit into and each scent is a combination of specific receptors firing so, its possible to formulate the scent "alphabet" and send data to a device to produce a scent the way we do for say, color inkjet printing so the technology really can happen now if theres a perceived marketable application.

If Sorbet doesnt bother me then maybe i could try a perfume puff but do they have any scent left? I've had 5 sorbets and only two smell.

Well it depends on the scent. Citrus seems to last the longest, while smells like floral or vanilla don't hang on as easy. I've never had a scented G1, but, my daughter's Tangerine Sunset still smells citrusy after ten years and several bath times, while her Thistle Whistle doesn't smell at all

My Pretty Pop had a light gumball sugar scent, but it went kaput after giving her a day at the spa.

What is Sherbet supposed to smell like anyway?

lostpony

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
I'm not sure exactly, she's sort of a berry smell I guess.  It's nice though.

The one applejackbunny gave me has a slight scent left.  I bought three more that have no smell left at all (one of which was lyingly mis-described by a bad eBay seller as having strong scent) and then most recently I bought one super cheap off scenceable here and that one has a ton of scent left and almost perfect symbol paint and hair too.

I've never liked fake flower smells especially rose-scented air fresheners and roses smell bad anyway to me, and powdery scents especially can make me feel really bad so I was particularly happy that Sorbet smells nice and doesn't make me feel bad.  I can't think of anything scented I have liked ever other than natural lemon or vanilla.

Sorta berry like.  But not exactly.  Sweet, not powdery or perfumy. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal