collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: White-Haired Starglow Variant? More photos added!  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
White-Haired Starglow Variant? More photos added!
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
I'm wondering if I've found a Starglow variant?

I was working my way through an estate collection I purchased from the original owner when I found these two Starglows ponies.  Their body colors are quite different--though I've seen Starglows all along the blue/green spectrum so that isn't too unusual.  The hair, though, did strike me.  The greener of the two ponies has, instead of dark pink hair, completely snow white stripes.  There's not even a hint of pink to it, so I don't think it is an issue of extreme fading.  The roots are pure white, too, same as the ends. Both ponies were purchased together by a woman who made sure that her grandchildren had all of the same toys to play with when they visited her, showed no signs of having been submerged or washed, and they've been stored together all these years--so I'd expect them both to have the same conditions in terms of fading and plastic degradation.  The symbol and eye paint on the white-haired pony is the same color--unfaded--and is actually probably a little darker than the regular-haired pony.

What do you think?  Has anyone ever seen Starglow with pure white hair?  Is this a variant or something else?  I've seen a lot of Starglows in a lot of conditions--but none like this.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ETA:  I compared her hair with the white hair of Love Token and it seems a match.  Starglow's photographs a little differently as it is coarser than Love Token's satin straight hair, but in person they look spot on.  Also, I tested both Starglows and they glow in the dark, both equally nice and bright. 

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:53:44 AM by songtoisis »
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: White-Haired Starglow Variant?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
It might be faded?

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
I didn't think that kind of pink faded to such a stark white.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
That pink typically doesn't fade quickly.  My guess is that the pony got left outside or in a window for a length of time.  You can see her plastic is a much different color, too. 

But there are Glow n' Show variants that have different haircolors and different body colors, and different heart colors, so it IS possible that she is a factory variant! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Ianthe99

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
I dunno. Could be faded.. could be some kind of factory flaw.  The greeness of the body suggests yellowing. She's neat either way! Is her head still glued down?

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Even if she is just extremely faded (and I have seen that pink hair fade when in extreme conditions left outside or in windows in a very sunny location) and not a legitimate factory variant, she is really awesome looking, and I would keep a pony like that.

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
a good way to tell... and I don't know if this is going to be true of these girls because they are semi-translucent... is if you can get her head off and check the part of the tail that is on the inside, you can see if some of the hair is pink or not. Again I don't know if the face she is translucent will affect that part of the hair
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Eldarwen

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »
If she really is extremely faded, Im suprised her symbols didnt fade at all. Or.. you would think that even the yellow would change at least a little bit, if THAT pink goes all the way to pure white..

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
I think she's a variant. You can see the white hair on the inside of the pony in that pic with the heads. I don't think the hair would fade inside, sunfaded or not.

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »
It may also be a rehair,
You can usually verify that on the older ponies by the weave of the mane
So many of these customs and rehairs have not been marked over the years and if this was a collectors
group it's very possible she had some rehairs or customs mixed in with them.  I know that was the Case with Helen's
Ponies (a long time Collector) whom kitkatvintage recently helped to sell some of that collection found out.
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »
someone already beat me to it but yeah, if youre really curious id crack her open and check if her mane is still woven, and if theres any trace of pink in the weave, and paybe pull her tail out and take a peek around the washer to see if the hair is white in the covered parts. =] she looks really cool with white tho =D

Offline Rosette

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
I didn't think that kind of pink faded to such a stark white.

I didn't, either.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
She looks lovely like that - congrats on adding her to your collection :)

However, personally I am going to go with her being a discolouration or a reaction to something. It doesnt have to be the sun which faded her it could be conditions or chemicals. That colour isn't as colour fast as some other shades and she is also quite yellowed. The white isn't one of the 2 white shades we normally see on G1s and it has a teeny tiny red sheen in the pictures - sometimes things show up in images better than in person.

Either way - she is gorgeous I really like the lighter toned hair!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosette

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
I dunno. Could be faded.. could be some kind of factory flaw.  The greeness of the body suggests yellowing. She's neat either way! Is her head still glued down?

Yes, still glued!

Post Merge: October 06, 2012, 12:23:54 PM

It may also be a rehair,
You can usually verify that on the older ponies by the weave of the mane
So many of these customs and rehairs have not been marked over the years and if this was a collectors
group it's very possible she had some rehairs or customs mixed in with them.  I know that was the Case with Helen's
Ponies (a long time Collector) whom kitkatvintage recently helped to sell some of that collection found out.

These didn't come from a collector.  They're single-owner from an elderly woman's estate--she bought them for her grandchildren to play with at her house.  So I think rehairing is extremely unlikely.  The heads are glued on, so I don't want to break a factory seal to check.

It does make me wonder, though, and may be the kind of mystery I can never actually solve.

Post Merge: October 06, 2012, 12:28:06 PM

She looks lovely like that - congrats on adding her to your collection :)

However, personally I am going to go with her being a discolouration or a reaction to something. It doesnt have to be the sun which faded her it could be conditions or chemicals. That colour isn't as colour fast as some other shades and she is also quite yellowed. The white isn't one of the 2 white shades we normally see on G1s and it has a teeny tiny red sheen in the pictures - sometimes things show up in images better than in person.

Either way - she is gorgeous I really like the lighter toned hair!

I'll have to photograph her in better light next to some of the white-haired G1s.  I'd think that if it was fading that the hair at the base of her mane or tail would be a different shade instead of such a uniform white.  I'm on the fence and may never know!  It is strange that two ponies bought together, played with together, and stored together have become some markedly different colors.  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:28:06 PM by songtoisis »

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
I have never seen the likes of this before. My knee jerk reaction is faded, but that doesn't explain why so much of her paint looks unfaded.

Varient or not, faded or not, she's so unique and beautiful! I also think I see the hair inside her body is white too.

All things considered, I'd call this a varient

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal