collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it still okay to use oxiclean on ponies?  (Read 260 times)

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Is it still okay to use oxiclean on ponies?
« on: December 01, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »
I have been out of the loop for a bit and I know discoveries are made all the time, so I wanna check, is it okay to use oxiclean on non-pearlized/metallic/etc ponies? I got a pony that's been in quarantine because it's pretty moldy and I wanna tackle cleaning that and I figured a hot oxiclean bath would help.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Is it still okay to use oxiclean on ponies?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:07:37 AM »
Yes, on plain ponies it's fine. It will make the hair icky though, so you'll want to give it a regular wash and condition afterwards :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »
Thank you xx

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 01:33:34 PM »
It doesn't do anything adverse to the body, but I oxycleaned a Butterscotch with gorgeous hair and I never could get her mane back to what it was.  (I took her tail out for the process.)  I washed, shampooed, and conditioned it multiple times but her hair never felt silky again.

So personally I would only do a pony's body, not the head, (and remove the tail.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
Personally I don't use oxyclean on ponies, the damage to the hair is more obvious but it will still be damaging the plastic of the body as well. If the pony really is full of mould you could try milder options like toothpaste and a kid's toothbrush, then baking soda and warm water, leave overnight avoiding the hair.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:14:42 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 05:05:09 PM »
give her a good scrub in some dish soap and water to to physically remove as much gunk as you can.
rinse thoroughly

then soak her in Povidone-iodine  *(wait for the water to go clear again before dunking)  or  chlorhexidine   for a couple of days.

rinse that then make sure she is bone dry 

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 10:19:01 PM »
It seems everyone has very different opinions on the subject...

give her a good scrub in some dish soap and water to to physically remove as much gunk as you can.
rinse thoroughly

then soak her in Povidone-iodine  *(wait for the water to go clear again before dunking)  or  chlorhexidine   for a couple of days.

rinse that then make sure she is bone dry 

I've never heard of those chemicals, where could I go to get them?

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 09:46:14 AM »
Sorry peeps, I don't recommend dish soap for conservation work on plastics either. Hand soap ("soft soap") and toothbrush with warm water is fine for anything greasy.

Povidone-iodine and chlorihexidine are antiseptics used in surgery. Povidone-iodine might be a good shout for use with plastics, if bacteria or fungus are the problem. But I've never heard of anyone using it on ponies before. I don't know whether it helps with stains, also I don't know whether it's safe enough to keep around the home in concentrated form.

I also agree it's important to reassemble the pony only when bone dry. You can check in the hooves and ears with a cotton bud (Q tip).

My advice is to always try the mildest things first and be prepared to work over the pony two or three times. It doesn't need to be a quick process.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:58:38 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal