collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How rare is Ice Crystal?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
How rare is Ice Crystal?
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
I know he's pretty rare, and can go for a lot. But through my digging, I haven't found an average?
He's like, the one pony my friend wants and I've only seen him being sold a couple times.
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How rare is Ice Crystal?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
he isn't so rare, just popular hence his price. Her was released in the uk and not in the us so best to look on ebay.co.uk
I haven't followed his prices in a while but its consistently up around the $100, in saying that if you are diligent you can get him for cheaper you just have to be prepared to look daily for him and to lose alot of auctions by doing this I got my guy for less than $50 on an open auction... some times people just forget to bid :)

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
he isn't so rare, just popular hence his price. Her was released in the uk and not in the us so best to look on ebay.co.uk
I haven't followed his prices in a while but its consistently up around the $100, in saying that if you are diligent you can get him for cheaper you just have to be prepared to look daily for him and to lose alot of auctions by doing this I got my guy for less than $50 on an open auction... some times people just forget to bid :)
Oh! I didn't even think to check the uk ebay!  Thank you so much for the heads up!!
I have a good while of time to work with, so I'll just keep working at it! Thank you!
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:38 AM »
Speaking as someone who lives here, grew up here and carbooted here, he is absolutely rare. The set were sold for one year, maybe less, and only apparently in the UK and Scandinavia, not even across all of Europe. They tend to come in ebay flurries only cos someone sees onevsell high and so digs out theirs to sell. I imagine there are far more Mimics in the world than there are Ice Crystals, as the target market for Mimic was much bigger than the one for Ice Crystal, and we all know all about Mimic madness.

The supply is outreached by the demand and the set never appear second hand as often as say movie stars or even big brother ponies. This is why he sells high. Mountain Boy ponies have never been common, but havevalways been sought after and these days it is hard to find any pony in the wild. Lets not forget this is a set for whom approximately 4 mip ponies are known to exist.

Looking at Ebay UK won't affect anything anyhow since all pony auctions on ebay UK with international shipping appear on ebay.com ascwell. If they don't it is because a seller will not ship abroad.

Good luck with your search. If you are going to pay a lot for him make sure he is in good shape!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:16:03 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tiggerkitn25

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+186)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
Yes, for a minty one be prepared to shell out $100 or more unless you get VERY lucky.  I picked one up at the MLP Fair in Nashville last year and I think he may have been the only one there, I did not see another unless it was snatched very quickly.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »
I think he's more popular than rare I have found him in the wild 3 times x

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
I think he's more popular than rare I have found him in the wild 3 times x

Wowza! You must be the only one lol!
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 02:31:08 AM »
I've only seen one, and it's the one I own.  I bought him about ten years ago for $50.  So far he's the priciest pony I've bought.
Now I'm just missing two of that set and then I'll complete it!

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »
I don't think it's a misnomer to call the UK Adventure Boy set rare - it saw limited distribution as mentioned, and none of them crop up in large numbers.  Thundercloud seems to be the most common (?) for some reason.  Ice Crystal is by far the most sought after of the six though, which pushes his price higher all other factors being equal.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:55:32 AM »
Yes I agree.. Ice crystal is the most sought out after and arguably one of the most attractive.
FUN FACT: There are even two different versions of him made in Thailand.. One with a dark blue stripe and one with a dark green stripe.
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »
As others have said even in the places he was sold he is hard to find. Oddly I think he seems to pop up a little more often than some of the others in the set but the fact he is the most popular and a little prone to age marks makes him rather pricey. Stalking UK ebay is your best bet and being prepared to pay about the $110 mark.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal