collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would love your thoughts here - please?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline systemcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Would love your thoughts here - please?
« on: October 19, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
I feel if I brought this up on my personal social media no one would care to say anything. I figure why not ask here? Backstory information first:

I've been working on a fan fiction project since 2015. It's not MLP related, so I won't give its basic details except the fact it's now over 1,000 pages long and counting, plus I've never missed a deadline about story updates. It's had many stories inside its universe and the one I'm working on started getting worked on (outlining) in late 2017 - started getting pages made for it in 2019. .... Over 340 pages now, the story soon is going to be finished with more stories on the way. Still, it's the longest comic based story I've ever done. ... I want to celebrate finishing it which I think will be in a few weeks. Thoughts?

The second longest story of the series in comic format was wrapped up in the fall of 2017. I wanted to treat a friend to a matinee movie and lunch. He made plans at the last second and skipped. I never went to a movie then and ate alone. Currently I don't have any buddies who would give a rat's butt about my creative project work.

I want this closing chapter of the series writing to have something memorable attached to it. :think:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
Re: Would love your thoughts here - please?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 09:31:00 AM »
Have you posted the fanfic online and have readers? If that's the case I would suggest do a live celebration with them :). If not, treat yourself with something fancy! You do not always have to celebrate with others. My older brother is an expert on taking himself out to fancy dinners alone when he have achieved something. Me, I prefer to get something specially delicious from a café or an expensive ice cream or chocolate bar or something and eat while watching a favorite movie.

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 10:02:43 AM »
I've been thinking of ordering from a pricy Greek restaurant since back when the last long comic story finished. It was that nationality of restaurant I ate at. Still, that isn't enough to make it special. I've eaten from this place before, it just doesn't happen too often.

The series is online and in various places. The problem is where it's been posted ... FF.net, ComicFury, DeviantArt, and Global Comix. Between all those places, and only posting to one of them the series has one fan. You'd think with roughly 8 years of work poured into it that would be different. The one fan, he isn't online much. The guy has major things happening in his life offline. Friendly but shy. I doubt I'm going to be hearing from him for a while. We have each other's numbers and have talked over the phone. He's just swamped. :(

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 11:00:29 AM »
I'm sorry. I know what it's like to not have anyone to celebrate with :hug: You could buy yourself something pertaining to the story? Like, I dunno, if the story is about a fox, buy a cute plush fox and name him after the character.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 11:20:04 AM »
That's a fun thought.

My brain goes auto to things like toys and plushies. But the concerning fandoms ... merch is a rare and pricy thing. Two fandoms have virtually nothing for that. The main one tends to cost a lot on eBay and vanishes fast to collectors who can afford it. Example right now a dog character plush is going for nearly $80 originally I believe released in '99. PVCs do exist but I've never had much interest in them concerning the fandom. ... Interesting that I'd jump at finding one of those for Spike huh?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 03:27:26 PM »
I've noticed that there's still a trend where people consume lots of fan produced material but don't always acknowledge or credit the work put into it. Your project sounds very dedicated and you've worked hard so you deserve some kind of a reward - even if it's just a treat for yourself. You have achieved even if it doesn't feel like other people recognise that effort :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 01:33:56 AM »
Now I'm curious which fandom(s) you write for.  I also write fanfics for a non MLP fandom and I've been bad at posting for my current story (life issues, computer pooping out) and just need to get back into it.  I use the same username on FF.net as here...do you?   (goes off to look)

If it's the same username I think I found you.  :)

Maybe you could commission an art piece from someone on DeviantArt that goes along with your story.  Depending on the artist, custom pieces can be very reasonably priced.

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 05:52:44 PM »
Now I'm curious which fandom(s) you write for.  I also write fanfics for a non MLP fandom and I've been bad at posting for my current story (life issues, computer pooping out) and just need to get back into it.  I use the same username on FF.net as here...do you?   (goes off to look)

If it's the same username I think I found you.  :)

Maybe you could commission an art piece from someone on DeviantArt that goes along with your story.  Depending on the artist, custom pieces can be very reasonably priced.

Yeah, I like to keep my username consistent across the web. I've been using systemcat or a very close variant adding in numbers to the name since 2000.

The amount of fandoms I've written for. Yes, I have written one My Little Pony story, but also:

. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
. Red Dwarf
. Doctor Who
. Star Trek
. Greatest Amercian Hero
. Inspector Gadget ... and after that fandoms blur together. That series I'm working on is an amalgam of a few former DiC Animation series including two PBS shows. (Gadget-Boy, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Carmen Sandiego, Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats, The Littles ... (the rest are too minor to really note)).

Most of my work isn't on FF. net . You write for Gundam Wing? If I found the right account, that's a first on seeing a writer I know of from one place posting elsewhere. Wish I could read with understanding what you write but I haven't watched Gundam in ages. So long ago I'd be bad at knowing details for the fandom. (Toonami watcher way back in the day.)

I came back to this post to give a couple updates. The end of the story currently being worked on finally has it's end in sight. I only have five pages left of it.

Pokeyonekenobie, your idea is close to what has happened. It wasn't DeviantArt where I got a commission from but a FaceBook fan group for Star Trek. I told people I was up for commission and presented one example of what I can do. A lady hired me to do a digital painting of her cat Sasha as Captain Janeway. She approved of the art and supposedly I'm getting paid tomorrow. $200 if as promised  ^.^ .

Going to be celebrating by:

. Getting that Greek meal.
. Getting a season pass to Moody Gardens and spending a day there to break in the pass.
. Going to Try and make a frosted fruit cake. ... I'm not a good cook. I try. This will be yellow cake mix with the needed extra ingredients with candied fruit, and sugar free frosting.

Would people like to see the art that earned me my reward for years of work?

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »
Yay for getting a commission!  I think it would be fun to see.  :)

Yeah, that's the fandom I write for.  Currently using Nanowrimo to finish up the story I'm almost done with so I can get posting it regularly. 

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 05:09:19 PM »
She seems to be gearing up to pay me and something tells me this isn't a forum she'd normally visit. I think it's fine to show the non-watermarked version here.  :)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 10:32:49 PM »
 :art: :thumb:

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 12:37:26 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to be calling Moody soon to check details on that season pass. I didn't know there are different levels for one.  :what:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 03:38:20 AM »

Going to be celebrating by:

. Getting that Greek meal.
. Getting a season pass to Moody Gardens and spending a day there to break in the pass.
. Going to Try and make a frosted fruit cake. ... I'm not a good cook. I try. This will be yellow cake mix with the needed extra ingredients with candied fruit, and sugar free frosting.

Would people like to see the art that earned me my reward for years of work?

This sounds like a great way to celebrate! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal