collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun 2023 New Releases: Celestials! RaMC Figures! Plushies! Etc!  (Read 39668 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun 2023 New Releases: Celestials! RaMC Figures! Plushies! Etc!
« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2024, 05:56:42 PM »
I just checked and Polaris is showing up as in stock on Amazon again.
Ponyfan

Thanks!  It seems I was just looking in the dedicated Basic Fun area of Amazon rather than...all of it ^.^
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2024, 07:25:30 PM »
Glad I could help Sunpony.  :)

I remember the Collector's ponies and the first set of Rainbow ponies having the same assortment numbers.  I  think the first set of unicorn and pegasus ponies did too. I remember it was a bit of a treasure hunt seeing what set Target actually had in stock.  You couldn't be sure if they ran out of the unicorns and pegasus set if Target would restock that set or a different one.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2024, 11:12:35 AM »
Yeah, a few sets have been proposed and never materialized... Flutters, babies (where did they show the babies? I don't remember those :O), Flower Fantasy (although I think there was a theory going that these became the Celestials?), and the playset with Lemon Drop (and Brandy!!! tbh I'm most upset about Brandy being cancelled - he was in the Strawberry Shortcake's Pupcake mould and was SO cute!!!).

I understand why the playset didn't make it (I'm under the impression Peachy's set didn't sell too well? Maybe I'm wrong) and I'm not too surprised the Flutters got canned (disappointed though), but I'm still shocked Basic Fun haven't released any baby ponies yet. I'd definitely have expected those over the Twinkle Eyes. (not that I don't love the TEs!)

Iirc I think they sold the TEs and sometimes the Gusty/Heart Throb set under the rainbow tag for some reason, even though the boxes said different. I think it was to do with pricing scale, here at least...since rainbow ponies retailed here a bit higher.

yeah I've seen this happen with other toys, it's confusing/weird but I think it means that the later set (in this case, TEs) has replaced the earlier one (Rainbows)? like, they're the same "assortment" being offered to retailers, even though they're different characters and/or a whole different series. I think.

(Watches Basic Fun successfully rerelease the whole G1 line while Hasbro flounders with fifteen versions of Sunny).

:silly:

Mimic would be cool and all, but I'd rather have Galaxy, Locket or Sweet Pop <3

Don't forget Bright Eyes,Quackers,  and Tic-Tac-Toe.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 12, 2024, 04:23:12 PM »
I wish there were more "unreleased" ponies but Hasbro pulled the plug on MLP in Year 10 before they had many more designs past the drawing board, I think....  can someone confirm that?
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2024, 08:46:43 AM »
I wish there were more "unreleased" ponies but Hasbro pulled the plug on MLP in Year 10 before they had many more designs past the drawing board, I think....  can someone confirm that?

Well, there were the Yarn Ponies...
https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=380943.msg1566772#msg1566772

There are some other proto designs in that thread too but I think the Yarn Ponies are the only ones we've seen clear pics of. Personally I'm still pining after the Furbob toys... (and the dolls that were meant to go with the Pony Friends! so cute!!)

The only other protos I know of with completed artwork are the Pretty Manes:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Prototype_Ponies#Pretty_Mane_Ponies
HQG1C did their own versions of those though, I'm not sure if Basic Fun would bother.

then I think most of the other protos are just earlier/alternate versions of ponies that did get released, like FT Baby Sundance, blue Sprinkles, I think there's two protos for Baby Schoolbag (neither are on the wiki?), etc.

the trouble is that I don't think any of the prototypes we know of, are as "famous" as the Celestials :( I mean, they've been using that art on merch for years... they were a pretty safe bet and logical choice to make, maybe other protos would be too risky, I dunno. I wish BF would do more unproduced ponies though.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2024, 11:43:18 AM »
Oh! So the pretty manes became the HQG1C Artistry Girls! I never knew that before.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2024, 12:12:59 PM »

Just imagine, somewhere out there that flutter hideaway prototype could still be collecting dust in some dark corner of an attic...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2024, 01:11:40 PM »
The two prototypes for schoolbag are one in the first tooth walking pose and one in a baby boy pony pose with feathered feet. (And the pictures are on my site :P)
https://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/baby_schoolbag.htm
Can both be seen here.

One appeared on an insert, the other on the backcard iirc. Baby Schoolbag is officially male in canon material, even though he was ultimately made in a female baby pose.

I agree, though, Celestials aside, there hasn't really been a big buzz around any other unproduced ponies. The one I still want is Paradise, but that won't ever happen given that nothing from the UK is likely to make this cut. It's sad but there we are. Maybe too complicated given the UK or European copyright of some of the designs?

Could they make new characters? I guess they could. I guess they could also make G1 versions of the M6 etc (Hasbro would love that, but I admit, I would buy a Sunset Shimmer, LOL) or something like that.

But they're doing a great job cherrypicking their way through G1, honestly. THey wouldn't still be interested in this if they weren't successful. We would never have had the Celestials if they hadn't sold the earlier ponies well. It says so much for the staying power and appeal of G1 years after they were on shelves. It's just a shame Hasbro didn't want to embrace that. G1 was and remains different from all the other generations because of all the trial and error and unknown. Forgetting those origins and those experimentations is kind of sad.

Jem had a lot as well, though...Hasbro really did go through the stages with their development here. The difference between Jem and MLP in this sense is that a lot of the prototypes that survive are in collector hands (the Stingers, certain outfits, a limited run of Rockin' Romance dolls). And of course, being dolls, IT were all over making lots of different characters in outfits based on key scenes, episodes, whatever. Even though Jem as an entity was a lot less successful than MLP, the 'collector' market has been successfully established because of that. Whereas there's never been anything like it really for MLP.

Oh, just some trashy "here's Pinkie Pie as a statue or something" junk. Yeah nope.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2024, 03:06:15 PM »

Just imagine, somewhere out there that flutter hideaway prototype could still be collecting dust in some dark corner of an attic...

Time to stage a heist! Dream Valley 's 11 reporting for duty.  :silly:

Post Merge: February 13, 2024, 03:06:59 PM

The two prototypes for schoolbag are one in the first tooth walking pose and one in a baby boy pony pose with feathered feet. (And the pictures are on my site :P)
https://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/baby_schoolbag.htm
Can both be seen here.

One appeared on an insert, the other on the backcard iirc. Baby Schoolbag is officially male in canon material, even though he was ultimately made in a female baby pose.

I agree, though, Celestials aside, there hasn't really been a big buzz around any other unproduced ponies. The one I still want is Paradise, but that won't ever happen given that nothing from the UK is likely to make this cut. It's sad but there we are. Maybe too complicated given the UK or European copyright of some of the designs?

Could they make new characters? I guess they could. I guess they could also make G1 versions of the M6 etc (Hasbro would love that, but I admit, I would buy a Sunset Shimmer, LOL) or something like that.

But they're doing a great job cherrypicking their way through G1, honestly. THey wouldn't still be interested in this if they weren't successful. We would never have had the Celestials if they hadn't sold the earlier ponies well. It says so much for the staying power and appeal of G1 years after they were on shelves. It's just a shame Hasbro didn't want to embrace that. G1 was and remains different from all the other generations because of all the trial and error and unknown. Forgetting those origins and those experimentations is kind of sad.

Jem had a lot as well, though...Hasbro really did go through the stages with their development here. The difference between Jem and MLP in this sense is that a lot of the prototypes that survive are in collector hands (the Stingers, certain outfits, a limited run of Rockin' Romance dolls). And of course, being dolls, IT were all over making lots of different characters in outfits based on key scenes, episodes, whatever. Even though Jem as an entity was a lot less successful than MLP, the 'collector' market has been successfully established because of that. Whereas there's never been anything like it really for MLP.

Oh, just some trashy "here's Pinkie Pie as a statue or something" junk. Yeah nope.
He looks so cute with the feathering.

Maybe the reason they couldn't do The Stingers, is because they couldn't cram all of Riot's big 80s poofy hair into the package.  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 03:11:04 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2024, 04:50:14 PM »
Aha! I should've known you'd have them Taffeta :D I love the final version of Baby Schoolbag ("girl" mould and all :P) but oh those proto versions... :lovey:

Honestly I'd LOVE a deflocked/NSS/whatever set, especially for the ones that were never sold as such (or were only sold w/o flocking in certain countries, like Paradise). And not gonna lie, as much as I complain about the oversaturation of certain G4 characters.... I'd be all over a G4-to-G1 set :frolic: A PROPER one, not the odd G3-esque Retro Rainbow ponies Hasbro came up with (even though I do love those too).

I love how IT made so many previously-unrealized Jem characters into dolls. Especially Graphix, she's gorgeous.

I think it'd be amazing if Basic Fun made new G1 characters, I'd certainly be up for that... I mean that seems to be what they're doing with their LPS line, I don't think any of those are re-releases of classic LPS toys? But I guess with MLP you have to come up with a symbol and name as well as the colours etc.

I agree, though, Celestials aside, there hasn't really been a big buzz around any other unproduced ponies.

Actually thinking about it, the Rainbow pony from RaMC is pretty popular. She's not exactly an unproduced pony like the Celestials (I don't think she was ever meant to be a toy) but close enough... I feel like if they did any other "new" characters it'd be her. On the other hand, I also feel like if they were going to do that, she'd have been in the blind box set instead of Starflower :/

Time to stage a heist! Dream Valley 's 11 reporting for duty.  :silly:

Let's do it!! :ninja: :silly:

Offline BabyCuddles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2024, 06:53:54 PM »
The Basic Fun website now shows the Applejack plush. However, it says there are currently no retailers.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 14, 2024, 01:48:09 AM »
I don't think they'll ever produce entirely new designs (for fear of losing that nostalgia factor, or because hasbro doesn't allow it?), but maybe they could come up with something that meets original and new in the middle; like TAF versions of existing characters? TAF Gusty! Stylized TAF Majesty was a great attempt.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #402 on: February 14, 2024, 03:22:07 AM »
Graphix is the only one of the unproduced Jem characters I didn't manage to get, LOL :) Regine is my favourite, but I love the Roxy Rumbles and I Like Your Style sets (which I can't justify cost for just for new outfits, but love that they decided to make them for Misfitty reasons.

...Back on topic.

The pony from RaMC...I'd forgotten her. She's an animation only, though, as far as we know. As much as it would have been lovely for her to be proto-Peachy, I don't think we've ever proven it? The earliest photos of the grooming parlour have butterscotch for photo ops and no pony. But yes, there is her.

I suppose there's also Ace, Teddy and Lancer. But we'd have to make sure Basic Fun didn't listen to brony and think they were G2.

I would really appreciate them...true, the ponies they went with were European release, but the series was made Stateside, so I feel like they have a better chance than most European ponies. Ditto maybe Miss Hackney.

I don't really want to see TAF designs of original ponies, especially not ones they already released. I mean, Hasbro did that with Sundance, and it was fine, but not massively exciting. It's a bit too much like Hasbro-G4-here's yet another Pinkie Pie with a little symbol difference for me.

I am surprised that we've never seen a Megan and Sundance set from BF though. They have the mould for Sundance already. (Not that I care much about Megan, it's just interesting).

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 14, 2024, 06:01:22 AM »
I think it's the other way around with the RaMC pony, I think she started as Peachy (or some other pony - Rhaegar posted a size chart for the special in the 80s prod. material thread and that included Blossom, not Peachy?!?) and then got switched out for miss Rainbow for one reason or another. I think the cartoon people just made her up.

Ohhh the Tales boys would be fantastic <3
And yeah, Megan and Sundance are one I'd have expected them to do by now. I'm neutral (I like the set, I don't necessarily need a new version of it) but it'd be nice to have...

I like the idea of TAF vers of non-TAF ponies :) But I'd rather have new characters. Wallpaper Majesty was a cool idea though, if not the best execution :silly: so I wouldn't mind if they did one or two more like that - maybe not a full set - but another special edition TAF would be cool.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2024, 06:42:49 AM »
Wallpaper Majesty was over the top. And I don't understand the point of making special ponies eyeless. It looks unfinished, and bad. I've the same issue with the eyeless MLP Fair G3s.

Didn't HQG1C make the unnamed rainbow pony?

You know what? I'd love to see BF make the show only G3 unicorns and pegasus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal