collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 33484 times)

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again!
« Reply #495 on: April 04, 2024, 01:41:14 PM »
Thanks, guys! Also during lunch I found the Hot Wheels ghoul mobile (which I’ve been looking for since Dec).  ^.^ Yay.

Congrats!!!!!! I really hope Creeproduction Abbey somehow comes over here!
Yes, hopefully!
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #496 on: April 04, 2024, 04:29:33 PM »
I do have the original but she's second hand and I am not sure she's complete. Certainly don't have the owl friend, though I'm not that bothered by their pets. She does have her glasses at the very least.

Sweet Screams is my other favourite Ghoulia doll :D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 04:35:27 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 04, 2024, 09:57:08 PM »
Oooo I love all the Sweet Screams.  I love how weird and pretty they are at the same time. Sadly, I only have Draculaura.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 05, 2024, 10:26:25 AM »
I think Lala is the only one I don't have. I have the other three (unless there are more than 4?) and a MIB Ghoulia somewhere as well. Frankie has such a zonked expression, though. I do wonder what was in her sweets. Ghoulia's really mischievous, and such a contrast from the sig, so I really like that.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 08, 2024, 11:52:34 AM »
Unless this is their way of seeing if people are interested in new G1 characters, I suppose... doesn't entirely make sense to me, but we all know companies work in their own, mysterious ways :P

Mhhh I don't know. Because they have already introduced more new characters in the new G1 comics. Valentine is bi or gay now and has a boyfriend. Fans want the boyfriend to get a doll and I bet if Mattel did that all these naysayers would pay $75.

Spelldon? He's not new - Garrett's talked about him on his Instagram before, he was an early character they never quite found a use for, but eventually got a mention in Valentine's SDCC diary. He said the diary was meant to explicitly establish Valentine as gay and in love with Spelldon, but Mattel chickened out at the last minute and wouldn't let them do it. (the final diary is still heavy in subtext though) Then G1 ended soon after, before they could do anything else with him.
Garrett posted his concept art for Spelldon at one point, let's see... yeah, here we go:
https://www.instagram.com/garrett_sander/p/CzFq25hL3qu/

I imagine part of why Spelldon's getting a better reception is, well, fans love representation and such... but also because he's been teased a long time ago so it's exciting to see this character finally get properly used. Whereas Lenore's just come out of nowhere. Not that this justifies the stupid reaction to her, I just mean I don't see think the two are comparable.

I like to think Lenore's older/not a MH student, either :)

And Elvira definitely should've gotten a bustier body, no idea what they were playing at there.

Sorry for my late reply :worshippy:
I stand corrected then because I saw the new design for the boyfriend character and yeah, he doesn't look AT ALL like that drawing so I assumed it was a new guy. Thanks for letting me know.

I still maintain that any new boy doll in the Alumni/Fang Club series would get heaps of praise just for rarity of being male, no matter how simple the design was.
I don't even think it's about representation with this partcular character. If Valentine is gay instead of bi then his rep is negative because he fooled all those girls into falling in love with him and using their love... energy... or whatever it was. Sorry, it's been years since I watched the movie he was in. So he had not a single bit of interest in any girl, he was just a dude who used all his girlfriends as beards and at the same time his equivalent of fuel, lol.

Sounds a bit Anne Rice-ish, too, to be honest. Gay vampire is cliché... now I asked Mattel many times to make a Carmilla doll in the Skullector series and if they finally make one I'll maybe shut up about Les-valen-stat :lol:

I always thought the boy dolls had potential. I relly love my Boo York Deuce and of course my baby Garrott. The Garrott doll is so cute, he looks so much better than the movie model. Others kinda failed, imo. Like the Invisibilly doll. The cartoon one looked like Justin Bieber and we got some Chad-faced dude instead. I always thought the boy dolls needed to be cute like the girls and of course fashionable. Not just another Ken (no, he is not ken-ough, he is boring - except for the brunette Ken with rooted hair that you could shave, lol).

Ghoulia creepro is here!!
Spoiler
I never got her original back in the day. Ahhh! I'm excited  :freak:

Ahhh, samesies! Except my Ghoulia hasn't even shipped yet. Just he fact that I got one and will have one at all... First Wave G1 Ghoulia was so highly sought after and I never got one.

The Rebecca SHipman hate continues with the new Fang Club doll (the dolls that go for $50 instead of $75):
https://creations.mattel.com/en-de/pages/monster-high-outta-fright-operetta-doll
Spoiler
I really like 80% of her. Biggest problem to me is the face with the big eyes and smaller lip. Oppie is a Southern Belle not a big eyed baby.

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 08, 2024, 01:11:44 PM »
I love all of that Operetta.  Her colors are really nice. 

I did end up seeing lots of hate for the creator on a YouTube community post.  What is wrong with people???  It’s a doll.   No reason to call for someone’s job.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 08, 2024, 03:07:53 PM »
I did end up seeing lots of hate for the creator on a YouTube community post.  What is wrong with people???  It’s a doll.   No reason to call for someone’s job.

I really don't get why they can't stop attacking her personally.
I also saw a couple Lenore Loomington redesigns making the rounds that were supposed to be better but they were just more cluttered and included details that would have probably blow the budget. At the same time, there is strong rumors that the SDCC doll will be a Sweet Screams Clawdeen. And who designed that beloved line? Rebecca Shipman.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 09, 2024, 06:26:14 AM »

I really don't get why they can't stop attacking her personally.
I also saw a couple Lenore Loomington redesigns making the rounds that were supposed to be better but they were just more cluttered and included details that would have probably blow the budget. At the same time, there is strong rumors that the SDCC doll will be a Sweet Screams Clawdeen. And who designed that beloved line? Rebecca Shipman.

Because online is a space where hating is free, and you don't have to witness the fallout.

I don't understand it either, but w/e.

Operetta is better to me with her curls. Although I'm not sure if I still have any Operetta dolls, because gunky hair :'(

Looking at some of the prices of certain lines on ebay is honestly insane. Though a lot of them seem to be people listing at that price rather than them actually selling for it.

So I was comparing my og Ghoulia with the reproduction one, and I'm wondering how these are going to be distinguishable out of package?

(Don't mind her hands, she's zombie shaking xD)

They look pretty similar to me...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:34:21 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 09, 2024, 08:54:45 AM »
Your collection is great. :)

There seem to be a number of small differences like hair type, hair style and inc stamp on the back of the original dolls.

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3171-monster-high-creeproduction-ghoulia-yelps-doll-reproduction-of-the-first-ghoulia.html
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 09, 2024, 09:25:48 AM »
Not to be a meaniepants (who am I kidding, I love being a little mean) but I think the biggest difference anyone can see right away is original Ghoulia's discolored head.

Other than that and other than the stamp, what people can see right away is a change in the lip shape and slightly larger eyes. Original Ghoulia had a fuller, wider lip with darker lipcolor. Of course, these are differences only a collector can spot and I bet there will be some shenanigans trying to pass off the unboxed Creeproductions as originals years later on second hand platforms.

Spectra's difference is sadly that she has polypropylen hair... -_-

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 09, 2024, 01:39:23 PM »
Not to be a meaniepants (who am I kidding, I love being a little mean) but I think the biggest difference anyone can see right away is original Ghoulia's discolored head.

I'm honestly confused by that response. Is discolouration on Ghoulia's head common in the OG dolls?

If mine looks discoloured in the photo, it's because there has been zero natural light in here today. She does have damaged lip paint, which is pretty obvious in the photo, but I only posted the picture for comparative reference. But I can't see how discolouration is relevant in telling them apart, (given we don't know how the repro will age).

I can't see clearly from the box the feature differences, but I can see more clearly in the link brightberry posted. That sounds a lot like what they're doing with OP's design as well. This seems to be a new standard in how they do the features on older dolls?

The clothing looks more distinctive as well when you see them side by side.

I wonder if the hair on Spectra is because the original way of doing the hair was very prone to goop. Though I admit I'm not sure if I'd recognise Sig Spectra in a lineup, so I'm not sure if she's one of the ones with goop issues.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:16:38 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 09, 2024, 03:04:05 PM »
Taffeta's Ghoulia doesn't look discoloured to me...? What an odd thing to say.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 09, 2024, 03:09:28 PM »
Taffeta's Ghoulia doesn't look discoloured to me...? What an odd thing to say.

I actually went and got the doll down from the shelf to doublecheck her, just in case I didn't notice something, but nope, she's not.

Considering it over I think maybe Zapper was talking about the comparison photos on the link Brightberry posted. That one does look a bit discoloured to me?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:12:13 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 09, 2024, 03:26:16 PM »
Considering it over I think maybe Zapper was talking about the comparison photos on the link Brightberry posted. That one does look a bit discoloured to me?

Yep.
Ghoulias with glue seepage often have a yellowed grey tone while the new Ghoulia is without that glue they stopped using so she most likely won't discolor. It's not an odd thing to say at all. I have a poor Skull Shores Ghoulia whose limbs yellowed even. Something in the plastic coating probably oxidized. I also had a Lala with yellow arms. The dolls weren't exposed to direct lunlight or heat. They just aged badly.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 09, 2024, 03:32:16 PM »

Yep.
Ghoulias with glue seepage often have a yellowed grey tone while the new Ghoulia is without that glue they stopped using so she most likely won't discolor. It's not an odd thing to say at all. I have a poor Skull Shores Ghoulia whose limbs yellowed even. Something in the plastic coating probably oxidized. I also had a Lala with yellow arms. The dolls weren't exposed to direct lunlight or heat. They just aged badly.

It was odd in context with my having posted my photo, so some specifics would have been helpful :)

I have seen and owned discoloured dolls, I just was confused why you were talking about discolouration all of a sudden. But that makes sense.

I think Skull Shores is meant to be pretty known for it?

I don't have that Ghoulia so can't make a comparison. I think I only have Sweet Screams, OG and the freaky fusion one where she might be pretending to be Lala but honestly I'm not sure. Bunches are cute though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal