collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wld LOVE some help - need to price a custom signed by Misha Collins  (Read 742 times)

AllIsLove

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi all,

I have a bit of an unusual problem, and normally for a price check I'd head over to the corral, but seeing as this is a custom I'm hoping I can get a little bit of 'specialized' feedback from the experienced sellers on this board.

I have a G1 baby pony as Castiel from the TV show Supernatural, with Sculpey hair, neck tie, cellphone (attached to leg), wings, and a painted metal hook with a black ribbon so he can be hung up. He was signed by Misha Collins (who plays Castiel on the show) at the 2010 Vancouver Supernatural convention... and I have NO idea how much I should ask for him if I list him on eBay.

Here's the thing that's worrying me - the acrylic he's painted with is now slightly 'sticky'. You know when it feels almost tacky, like it's just waiting to finish drying? It means I have to be extremely careful with him, as rubs or accidental bumps tend to shift/take the paint off. Because of this he hasn't been hung up, but rather sat on a shelf, on top of the ticket I bought to get him signed.

I would like to at least recoup the signing fee of $40 and a bit, but with the pony's paint job now being a little er, delicate (although the signature is not comprimised in the least), I'm not sure this would be possible.

Any suggestions would IMMENSELY appreciated!

Pic of pony is available at my Flickr acc. http://www.flickr.com/photos/natashahoar/6282344194/in/set-72157627980305230

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
Re: Wld LOVE some help - need to price a custom signed by Misha Collins
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »
It's extremely difficult to price anything that has been autographed, as it is worth nothing to some and everything to others.

I would personally pay $75-100 for this pony and the ticket. Much to my dismay I can't pay that right now, but I think that there are people out there who can and would. It's just a matter of reaching those people.

Best of luck to you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

AllIsLove

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »
It's extremely difficult to price anything that has been autographed, as it is worth nothing to some and everything to others.

I would personally pay $75-100 for this pony and the ticket. Much to my dismay I can't pay that right now, but I think that there are people out there who can and would. It's just a matter of reaching those people.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much! I know - the 'what's it worth, to who' quandary is something else that has been eating away at me. Blegh! Regardless, thanks for your input - I really appreciate it! :D

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
I'd suggest going to getting some testors dullcote to seal it before selling it. Don't want to disappoint anyone if it gets damaged.

AllIsLove

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »
I'd suggest going to getting some testors dullcote to seal it before selling it. Don't want to disappoint anyone if it gets damaged.

Would that further affect the acrylic paint, though? And the signature was done in Sharpie - is there a risk of bleeding/ruining it with the dullcote?

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
I was going to suggest sealing it with matte mod podge, but I've never used it on sharpie. I don't think it would affect it, but again, never tried it. Test out whatever sealer you use over some of the original paint you used with sharpie on top,  maybe use a fakie or something as a base. I know I would love such a custom! I'm staring at Castiel right now (on my firefox skin, and desktop wallpaper!) Does it have wings? I'd love to see it! I don't have spare cash right now, but I would pay $100 for it! Don't take less than $100!
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Was the sharpie done on top of paint or sealer? If not.. :( Sharpie is gonna fade out and bleed a bit. So I don't think using a sealer on it would be much worry.

AllIsLove

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
I was going to suggest sealing it with matte mod podge, but I've never used it on sharpie. I don't think it would affect it, but again, never tried it. Test out whatever sealer you use over some of the original paint you used with sharpie on top,  maybe use a fakie or something as a base. I know I would love such a custom! I'm staring at Castiel right now (on my firefox skin, and desktop wallpaper!) Does it have wings? I'd love to see it! I don't have spare cash right now, but I would pay $100 for it! Don't take less than $100!
Aw, you're a sweetheart! *HUG* If you follow the Flickr link in the first post that takes you to the pic of the signature, and the same folder has a few detail shots. He's got black mini sculpey wings, and a sculpey 'do ala Castiel (I tried rerairing him, but it just wasn't the same). Plus the cellphone for calling Dean! XD
Was the sharpie done on top of paint or sealer? If not.. :( Sharpie is gonna fade out and bleed a bit. So I don't think using a sealer on it would be much worry.

The acrylic was sealed with Delta Ceramcoat all-purpose (which I have a VERY love/hate relationship with because 50% of the ponies I use it on end up with the tacky texture issue), and the sharpie was signed over top. Do you think if I put another very thin layer of the same sealer on top, that would cause an issue..?

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
I honestly don't think it would cause an issue. And a new coat of sealer overall might help the whole sticky thing :)

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
If the sealer you used made this pony sticky, I wouldn't suggest using it again. I think it would just end up the same. I'd try something different. I just did a test painting some acryllic on a bait, writing over it in sharping, and using dullcote. Waiting for it to dry right now and I'll let you know if it changed the sharpie at all.

keikokukien

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »
Dulcote or Mod Podge will help it last. Mod Podge shouldn't smear the sharpie, but if you are not entirely sure, try the Testors Dulcote because it sprays evenly. You might have to do light coatings and let each bit dry then do it again until it completely covers the marks and the entire pony. Not sure with sharpie, but typically paint brushes make smearing possible when sealing pen marks. (I tried to seal over gel pen and it totally messed it up, so please test first.)

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
Here's my test of dullcote on sharpie. No effect at all. Now I can't say nothing would happen over time, but I feel it would probably hold up well.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
There's a FEE to get something autographed??  O_o

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
There's a FEE to get something autographed??  O_o

Time is money to a celebrity. ;)

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »
Some places they charge fees, some celebrities charge fees. Other places and people don't. I don't think there's anyone I like enough to pay for a signature XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal