collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~Out Now and Coming Soon ~  (Read 146338 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: ~Out Now and Coming Soon ~
« Reply #1185 on: February 15, 2024, 09:48:57 PM »
Hmm. I disagree that MLP should end. And I also disagree that G5 is lame (nobody said this exactly, but the vibe is there). I think we need to remember who the target audience is and last I checked, little girls and boys are still into ponies. The movies have been successful.

It's like some of the attractions at Disney. They try to make it fun for the parents too, but sometimes it's just Elsa singing and doing magic and that's enough for the kids. They love it! Maybe the parents get bored or annoyed, it's not for them.

I feel like MLP mainline is not for us. Has the mainline ever been? We were kids when we fell in love with MLP, right? Whatever gen you grew up with usually remains your favorite. Basic Fun and the anniversary stuff and some of the clothing is for us. But MLP is for kids.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 16, 2024, 02:13:41 AM »
And I also disagree that G5 is lame (nobody said this exactly, but the vibe is there).

Oh, I think very very similar words have been used before, lol, it's not just a vibe ;)

But we need to make a distinction between the quality of the toyline and the entertainment side of it. As a toyline, MLP has become a real joke. It doesn't even have its own section anymore in a lot of stores; the few mlp products they have are thrown together with a lot of other small brand creatures. Space filler, if you will.

And while G1 - G3 weren't geared towards adults, they were of such a high level that they transcended the core market (kids). The primary focus was on the collectibility of it, which continues to have a loyal fanbase even to this day.

For a company with a new philosophy of "Fewer brands but Bigger and Better", they botched MLP completely.

I also refuse to accept the general excuse that kids don't play with toys anymore and are opting for gaming, online experiences, etc., so companies are inclined to put less effort in their products.
If that was the case, all toy companies would be suffering like Hasbro is. But there are plenty of brands who are doing extremely well, primarily because they keep their focus on the collectibility aspect.

Hasbro simply lost touch with the market, first and foremost.

Edit: I knew I forgot something. This is a headline from CNBC, not so long ago: Adults are buying toys for themselves, and it’s the biggest source of growth for the industry
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 02:16:49 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1187 on: February 16, 2024, 07:52:16 AM »
And I also disagree that G5 is lame (nobody said this exactly, but the vibe is there).

Oh, I think very very similar words have been used before, lol, it's not just a vibe ;)

But we need to make a distinction between the quality of the toyline and the entertainment side of it. As a toyline, MLP has become a real joke. It doesn't even have its own section anymore in a lot of stores; the few mlp products they have are thrown together with a lot of other small brand creatures. Space filler, if you will.

This, 100%. I haven't watched any of the G5 media bar the original movie, I'm only observing by the non movement on store shelves and the complete lack of restocking in toy stores here in the UK that the toy line of G5 is a whimper. And that is the core of what MLP is meant to be, so I am not really sure that the media side matters. Jem was a great TV show, and still is a cult classic - but the toy line folded because it couldn't beat barbie. And so then the show ended abruptly with a silly final episode about BaNee's Dad and a very cheesy farewell song.

G5 is not controversial, it doesn't inspire fan wars and nastiness. It's a good antidote to the mess brony left G4 in. I don't think anything after G4 would have been an easy success - especially when tied up in the same world that has been exhausted, broken and was never that deep or well constructed to begin with.

All that said, I'm not in favour of MLP at any cost. I remember a (much more violent and aggressive) debate about this when the Jem movie came out (people who wanted Jem at any cost vs those who wanted Jem left alone)...it's something people will have different views on, but I personally feel that G4 damaged MLP irrevocably. And either it should have ended there...or at least taken a long, long hiatus (maybe even till the 50th anniversary) before trying again.

That comment about adults being the biggest growth in the industry is actually quite logical though. Current adults were kids that grew up with toys, rather than digital everything. True, the generation behind us had more of the digital stuff, but still, the physical toy concept is something we grew up with, and if modern kids are not as interested in toys (although I think they are, tbh, having had plenty of kids+toy coming into my workplace lately), it makes sense that we'd be the ones buying them.

I think it's also more acceptable now, with online collector culture, to buy toys as adults.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:54:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 16, 2024, 08:26:00 AM »
I definitely agree MLP is for kids and we're a periphery demographic at best (and that's how it should be!), but are kids actually interested in the G5 toys? They've been shelfwarming like crazy over here.

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 16, 2024, 11:25:26 AM »
I cannot help but wonder how well it would do if they went back to having a lot of variety in characters. G5 is so far very same-y, and with the shows presumably not doing as well as G4 overall (the Brony fandom was, and still is, huge, and even younger children at the time seemed to really enjoy FIM), it probably cannot rely as heavily on show popularity as G4 likely could.

Adding more variety may help, as collectability is still a big thing in the toy industry, and My Little Pony was very collectable and varied variety until late G3.

Maybe I am biassed as somebody who personally favours variety in characters, but nevertheless, I am curious to know whether a change in that direction may help if sales aren't doing so well.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1190 on: February 16, 2024, 11:53:03 AM »
I used to see kids in the pony section of toy stores, and also kids walking around with pony design clothing, or build a bear plushes, or the ponies themselves.

I have not seen that for G5, once.

I think variety would help.

I do see kids in other aisles and with other toys. Just not ponies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 16, 2024, 02:28:45 PM »
I used to see kids in the pony section of toy stores, and also kids walking around with pony design clothing, or build a bear plushes, or the ponies themselves.

MLP is boring because Hasbro is boring.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #1192 on: February 16, 2024, 04:24:38 PM »

My Walmart doesn't even have a pony section any more :( I have yet to check the other Walmart(s) or Target
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2024, 07:24:34 AM »
G1 MLP was a major success because at the time, there was pretty much nothing else like it. 

Animal care + fashion doll hair play + a touch of fantasy + virtually unlimited possibilities of collecting

After a decade though, there were enough ponies in every family's toybox to fill it up,   unlike action figures, which tended to have the Core Characters and then relied on playsets.  Plus if we are talking GI Joe, there were several refreshes on the Core because who didn't use firecrackers or bury them or fire them out of Nerf guns, LOL  then you needed another one!  My friends and I unintentionally wrecked a number of Joes and a few Ninja Turtles...

G2 was just too radically different in style than G1 plus it had no accompanying TV show. 

G3 was amazing in its first 5 years, because it had been so long since ponies were on shelves, plus they really went overboard on the variety and gimmicks.  There was so much stuff that TRU had an entire section devoted to it and it was easier to find than the "pink Barbie aisle".  Also I don't think there were too many competing lines of Fantasy Animal Care Fashion Dolls yet.  LPS had a comeback but it wasn't as huge as MLP. 

G4 had a wonderful start - a TV show produced by big names in animation, a large assortment of characters, and fans who were ready to collect MORE after G3 slowly fizzled out with Mane 6 re-releases.  Unfortunately, they decided to 1) repeat their Core Character re-release mistakes, and 2) listen to the very vocal fanbase who wanted MLP to be more adult-oriented so that they felt comfortable filling their shelves and bedrooms with it.  Nothing will destroy a kids toyline faster than "unsafe for work" Google search results! 

Somewhere between G4 and G5, technology for children exploded onto the market.  What toddler DOESN'T own at least 3 things made by Vtech? 

Plus now there are too many Animal Character shows right now for kids to have MLP claim its market share.  Paw Patrol and its Cats Crew.  Miraculous, almost all the "heroes" are animal-themed.  all the blind box toys and plushies like Squishmallows... even Disney has come back into the spotlight with Doorables, ILY, Tsum Tsums, the little backpack toys, Animator dolls and now American Girl Disney Princesses. 

and if you prefer Fashion Dolls, we have Barbie, Monster High, LOL, Rainbow High, NaNaNa...  it's going to be hard to shock the toy market with something unique and different because everyone is throwing all their ideas out there.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2024, 12:08:57 PM »
I can safely say I've never blown up my toys.  ^^;
There have always been animal character shows and toys
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:10:50 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2024, 02:22:46 PM »
Offering my perspective as a parent, I've been greatly disappointed in the quality of MLP toys for some time. Even if they're just for kids, the gross hair they're using that gets ruined so easily made my little girl cry because she couldn't even get a brush through it. She was 4 and she cared about quality.
 :shrug:

Parents are the target market, even before kids. If G5 offered a wider variety of characters, I'd buy more ponies for my kids. But they have the main 5, we can't find Misty anywhere, so we're basically done with the entire gen lol. Can't buy ponies for my kids' friends' birthdays either since there's just too few characters to risk getting a repeat for someone. So I just don't buy My Little Pony. Well done, Hasbro.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 12:56:11 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #1196 on: March 05, 2024, 06:01:21 AM »
Offering my perspective as a parent, I've been greatly disappointed in the quality of MLP toys for some time. Even if they're just for kids, the gross hair they're using that gets ruined so easily made my little girl cry because she couldn't even get a brush through it. She was 4 and she cared about quality.
 :shrug:

Parents are the target market, even before kids. If G5 offered a wider variety of characters, I'd buy more ponies for my kids. But they have the main 5, we can't find Misty anywhere, so we're basically done with the entire gen lol. Can't buy ponies for my kids' friends' birthdays either since there's just too few characters to risk getting a repeat for someone. So I just don't buy My Little Pony. Well done, Hasbro.

I've been to 3 different Walmarts a few times since December. And none of them have had any  ponies aside from one that had a bunch of little G5 Izzy keychain sets in clearance, and  fakie ponies. Likewise my Dollar General put the ones they had in clearance (and I recently got what was probably the last pony thing they had: A G4 Rainbow Equestria favorites BB size set for $10, marked down from $20 ).  It's not looking good IMO.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 28, 2024, 07:17:53 PM »
I’m surprised no one has posted here yet, but on some of the Facebook pony groups someone has posted a picture of a supposed 2024 Hallmark G1 ornament.  It is… another Cotton Candy🙄 but in holiday garb.  I will buy her, but still wish it was a different pony😆

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 29, 2024, 01:32:30 AM »
I am not on Facebook :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 29, 2024, 08:24:59 AM »
I can't find a link to her that I can post on here, but I just found her via Google and omg she's adorable!!! Her pose looks so cute! Definitely a must-have <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal