collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: marker type suggestions  (Read 652 times)

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
marker type suggestions
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
Ok, this is waaaaaaaaay off topic of pony stuff.  But I'm currently on the hunt for some decent markers.  I have a full set of chisel tip prismas that I bought about 8 years ago, several of them have exploded or died, but a lot still work.  And I have a set of 24 of the brush tips.  A full set of the Dick Blick chisel tipped markers, which are ok.  And a full set of the BIC mark it pens.  I've been looking at the Pitt artist brush pen/marker set.  I just ordered a small set of the illustration pens, and I ended up getting a Pitt pen free in an order and have really fell in love with them.  I like the prisma's but they're sooooo expensive.  The Pitt pens are about a buck and a half each, not cheap, but not too bad.  Oh, I also have a select few of the Concept markers offered by Jerry's Artarama.  The only problem with buying a full set, is that they're are ALWAYS out of stock.

Also off topic, I may have found the best colored pencils.  The Derwent Coloursoft pencils.  They have such a creamy rich texture, that rivals Prisma, but they don't come in the range as prismas do.  Also the Derwent Inktense are really cool, they're watercolor pencils but infused with ink, to give it a brighter feel.

Ok, I'm done.  LOL just my two cents on the pencils, and I am very curious about what people have to say about markers.

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: marker type suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
We get the Primsa markers at Micheals or AC either on sale or with a 50% off coupon so the cost is not so bad.  Clonecommander has fallen in love with em.   She started with a few chisels but got the brush tip set as a present. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
oh wow, 50% off those would be awesome.  I've noticed that craft places though tend to jack up the price up to double what they go for normally at art supply stores.  My favorite art stores are http://www.jerrysartarama.com/   and  http://www.dickblick.com

Hmm.. where do you get the 50% off coupons at?

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »
Usually Micheals coupons can be found in their weekly ad or on their website.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
I found out when I was in college that I hate using markers since you only have 1 chance at getting something right--and normally its just 1 pass.

We used pantone markers for obvious reasons (taking graphic design), and the pencil crayons we were forced to get I hated.

I have a set of prismacolours now and I would not trade them for anything (mine! mine, ya hear?!)  I need a softer lead that blends, not this hard flakey bs that you cant even blend with a nib ><

ETA: Sign up for Michaels emails, they send you weekly coupons and tell you whats on sale :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Copic markers.  I find they blend waaaay better than the Prisma markers.  And they last a long time too. 

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »
Prismacolors or Copic marker are the top two I think. If your prismas are dead you can sometimes revive them with rubbing alcohol.  IslandBlue.com has many markers for good prices.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »
Ditto on the Copic markers. Nothing else I've tried comes close. They're pretty crazy expensive though.

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:29 AM »
I tried prisma markers for a time, before I realized that markers just weren't my friends xD so I have a small set of them just hanging out when I DO need markers. I love the prisma colored pencils though, and Iv about used mine up, I supplement my original tin with new colors as I need them. xD
I havent tried many other types of pencils though, just cant afford it lol.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »
I persinally enjoy Prismas, I always get them on thise crazy 50% or 75% off sales. Theres another brand I have seen that I have always wanted to try but were too expensive, the brand started with an "F" I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal