collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's up with forelock trims?  (Read 4613 times)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with forelock trims?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 06:17:07 PM »
Yes, most G1s had forelocks except (most) unicorns and some later Euro ponies. :)
Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
I think it's natural for kids to want to style and cut their dolls and pony's hair. I didn't do much cutting but I loved having spa days with my ponies and styling their hair for hours. I also think that different people treat their things differently. I taught my kids to take good care of their things and they weren't destructive. My best friend on the other hand treats toys as very disposable. She let her kids DESTROY their toys. Colored on them, hair cuts, purposely breaking them. I had to be very strict with her kids and watch them around my kids things. They even smashed one of my porcelain barbies for fun  :cry: and she didn't care. they were hunks of plastic to her. it was a good excuse to throw it out. and then she'd have to rebuy things if her kids wanted another one. Anyway, not making a rant of it, just that I got to see first hand a very different attitude on toys and how to treat your belongings and how the different parenting effects how the kid treats things.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »
I think it's natural for kids to want to style and cut their dolls and pony's hair. I didn't do much cutting but I loved having spa days with my ponies and styling their hair for hours. I also think that different people treat their things differently. I taught my kids to take good care of their things and they weren't destructive. My best friend on the other hand treats toys as very disposable. She let her kids DESTROY their toys. Colored on them, hair cuts, purposely breaking them. I had to be very strict with her kids and watch them around my kids things. They even smashed one of my porcelain barbies for fun  :cry: and she didn't care. they were hunks of plastic to her. it was a good excuse to throw it out. and then she'd have to rebuy things if her kids wanted another one. Anyway, not making a rant of it, just that I got to see first hand a very different attitude on toys and how to treat your belongings and how the different parenting effects how the kid treats things.

Ooh I'd be ticked.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 01:41:37 AM »
I've heard of kids cutting their ponies' forelocks so they could see out....which always makes me wonder if one day there will be a load of those Sia ponies with haircuts on the second-hand market. I wasn't into hair-cutting as a child (didn't have ponies, but the only time I cut doll hair was this knock-off Rapunzel doll whose hair had become really tangly so I gave her a bob instead) but that fringe-in-the-eyes look would have me reaching for the scissors :lol:.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 04:01:07 PM »
Yes, most G1s had forelocks except (most) unicorns and some later Euro ponies. :)
Thanks for clearing that up!

A lot of year 10 ponies like the Flower Fantasies as well, I think?

I never cut forelocks, and honestly, it's one of my pet hates - deliberate hair damage - because I don't reroot (to me this is customising). So I don't have a lot of sympathy with the kids that cut pony hair. We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid so I took care of my ponies. They got well played with, true, but not abused.

Aside a big event like Christmas or Birthday, I didn't get ponies unless I saved up for them, so that might have also played a part in it.

The one time any hair on any of my ponies got cut it was because Songster and Star Gleamer got entangled together after Songster danced too enthusiastically near the BnG's tail. It was a very tiny section and my mother cut it so it would not show (it genuinely doesn't) but I CRIED SO MUCH because I was "hurting my pony" and I knew she'd never be the same again after.

I guess a very young child might get confused about hair growing back, especially with the BnG type mechanism...but while I DID wash out the curls on a couple of my ponies by accident, I never even thought of taking scissors to them.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:03:50 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
I don't consider hair cutting to be destroying; if a kid thinks their pony looks better with a bobcut then it's no big deal. I consider it more a part of play than anything else.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:18:44 PM by Spectrum »

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2019, 03:16:24 AM »
A lot of year 10 ponies like the Flower Fantasies as well, I think?

None of the year 10 ponies have forelocks, not even the Paradise Babies. Forelocks started to get phased out in year 7, and was pretty much gone by year 8. Except for most Baby sets, who still got forelocks for some reason, until year 10's Paradise Babies when even they didn't have it.

A similar thing happened with G2 and G4. Although they had a different type of forelock rooted horizontally on top of the head (also seen on a few late release G1s such as the Great Hair ponies). Both had it from the start (not all ponies though, it depended on the hairstyle), but it was eventually phased out for both of them. I think G3 was the only generation to never have it, but they did get it once G3.5 started up (because different hairstyles was a thing with them). Maybe that's why G3 is my least favorite generation.

OK, probably not. :P But I did like ponies with forelocks as a child. I noted that it made them look more like in G1 illustrations and cartoons, where they always had forelocks as part of their hairstyle no matter what. Cutting my ponies' hair was also unthinkable for me back then (funnily I'm probably more open to it as an adult), but looking at ponies with big or curly forelocks I can understand how some kids might've thought it got in the way. Sometimes it can obstruct the pony's face.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2019, 03:34:59 AM »
Kids dont always understand that what they do have consequenses and get odd ideas.

I once got carried away and took one small bite out of all 6 apples in the fruit bowl. I can't remember why.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2019, 03:59:58 AM »
Kids dont always understand that what they do have consequenses and get odd ideas.

I once got carried away and took one small bite out of all 6 apples in the fruit bowl. I can't remember why.

:lmao: :lmao: Did something similar with biscuits

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: What\'s up with forelock trims?
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »

Ahh sampling at its finest.  :lol:

Post Merge: October 27, 2019, 08:21:57 PM

I don't consider hair cutting to be destroying; if a kid thinks their pony looks better with a bobcut then it's no big deal. I consider it more a part of play than anything else.

Oh but it is. Deliberately. If the hair gets in the way, all they need do is brush it aside. If they want to style, they can do it without cutting. I'd say the same for any kid who cut their doll's hair on purpose, or their model horse's.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:28:00 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »
I agree. It belongs to them and if they wanna cut it, then so be it. May suck as a collector but we seem to forget these are toys.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2019, 08:43:59 PM »
I agree. It belongs to them and if they wanna cut it, then so be it. May suck as a collector but we seem to forget these are toys.

They are toys, but toys oughtta be taken care of even by kids. Its understandable if something is an accident, but i dislike it when kids break crap on purpose. Especially when people say, Oh its okay, you can just get another one. Uh no, its not okay. Its a waste of money as well. Consider this too, the toy some kid is destroying could have one day been a cherished memento from a person who will one day no longer be there. The angriest I got over my kid during her Syd stage was when she wrecked a barbie doll she got from  one of her deceased grandmothers.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:47:36 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »
^ to continue this thought, the kid might grow up to regret it too. That's the whole learning actions have consequences thing. I trimmed around the eyes and mouths of some of my stuffed animals, including a long haired Pound Puppy. I wish I hadn't done that! At the time, sure, they needed to be able to see and speak, but... that's why kids have imaginations, right? I think it's also important to teach kids to respect inanimte objects. I mean, one day doll hair the next day a car wreck because "it's just stuff".

Meh. Aside from my stuffed animals, I always took great care of my toys. I didn't even like peeling the wrappers off of worn crayons and hated when my mom would do it while I was at school.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 09:18:31 PM »

Always a problem in the collector community. I personally enjoy the more loved ponies, so I guess I'm in the minority. There's a difference between "destroyed" and a forelock trim.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
There's a difference between a trim and buzzcuts. Yes teach your kids that playing with scissors has consequences. But in the end if they want to give them a haircut then so be it. Its a toy. I enjoyed cutting my toys hair, and so did my sister. It was the most fun we had. It made them unique to us, and even more special. We gave them haircuts that matched their "personality" as we had imagined them to have when we played. I hardly think its a waste of money to give something a haircut, as its not like its a leg. I have plenty of ponies with bobs. Do I regret it as a collector? Not really, cause we had fun. That's what toys are for. Now this is personal opinion, haircuts on toys don't really bother me.
Obviously I'd teach my kids not to abuse their toys, but if they play hair stylist with them I guess whatever makes them love it more. If they aren't playing with them, then what's the point?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:50:56 AM by caseysealia »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal