collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Arena Artist Spotlight ~ October  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Arena Artist Spotlight ~ October
« on: October 03, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »
To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the MLP Arena and our wonderful community of pony fans, we’re introducing a monthly artist spotlight! The idea is to showcase the variety of artistic talent and craftsmanship our members bring to this board for our enjoyment, and to get to know the artists behind their work. We hope you enjoy these features!

:blackcat: For our October spotlight we interviewed AnnaPommes! :blackcat:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For UK Ponycon

What kind of art and/or crafts do you do?
I started craftig with everything i got my hands on as a child, so while learning a few illustration things in digital i ended up becoming a product designer and mainly traditional artist. While i started out with watercolor I found guache being my most favorite paint in the recent years. It can be opaque, mixes well, the pigments can be amazing and you can thin it so be like watercolor and it dries in a very nice structure. :heart:

when I do not illustrate or push pixels and vercors on the PC, I sew, as in making cosplay, historic inspired cute clothes or Plush.

When did you first become interested in art and/or crafts? What brought you into MLP art in particular?
My grandparents are artists and worked in schools, made sculptures in local cities and made a few pieces for local churches. So, family was usually interested in supporting if smol pommes wanted to craft or draw! With becoming a teenager the interest in cute things did rise aswell as in video games and manga. From that, I stumbled over some legendary customs of videogame characters and a friend pulled me into making customs on my own. That was around 2006? I signed up to the MLP arena about 2 years later!

Has your style, preferred media etc. changed along the way?
A lot has changed since 2006! :D Back then, I only did digital art, which is rare nowadays. I am very thankfull I can work with so many new techniques and material now. My style changed too, but I think the most influence on my style are three pony artist from northern europe to which I still look up to!

In what ways has your art improved over time? Where do you still see room for improvement?
oh, YES! Most improvement was it when I started drawing the pony toys itself like still life, that helped so much with thier shape. Also drawing ponies and horses from references and study artists like Mucha, Loish and some artists on Pixiv.  Another huge improvement step was when I was painting (and mostly uploading) a character each day for about 9 Months. Just finish that work, upload it. even if you are not happy with that one eye there or that paintwork, paint more and you will get in the flow and your work will get lighter and have more expression!

there is SO much room for more improvement, I don´t know where to start listing things! Currently a few things change and while I still draw I have not set a focus yet in which direction i`ll be going. ;)

What is your goal for this year (or 12 months from now)?
Aha, that is difficult. I do want to see my friends more, improve my sewing, make little things that make people smile and I might get more involved with learning theatre and dance as a tiny hobby. Still supporting local events with planning and grafic design and giving some workshops for kids at the local library.

What would you like to say to new, aspiring pony artists or someone who is still looking for encouragement to share their artwork?
SHARE YOUR WORK!
Use references, study people you admire, test that color combo!! what? mint for shadows on a pink pony? try that!!
Don´t just doodle but also make finished pieces, upload them even if you dislike them for today, others might love it!
You do not have to push out a masterpiece, never. Focus more on making many pots, since you will improve in practice more than in correction!

And most importantly: Draw what you love.
that flower, your sibling, that bird, these hands, your fav. coffee mug, that amazing sky ,.. and so on.

Seapony of the river Rhine

Fabric design

Thanks for the interview, AnnaPommes!  :lovey:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Artist Spotlight ~ October
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 01:53:44 PM »
That is some beautiful art! I am always a big fan of pony art! :)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 02:18:28 PM »
AAAAA!!! The coaster is sitting here right now & my hot choc mug goes on it every night!!! I also have dresses PKW made with your fabric!!! I love your art!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 09:21:21 AM »
Thank you so so much for that feature! I feel honored as the Arena has been a major influence in my art style obviously. ;)
for everyone who took time to read it: here is a cookie!
And now go on and do what makes you happy! ;)
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 06:37:05 PM »
Thank you for letting us read a great and interesting artist introduction!  :lovey:

AnnaPommes' art is so incredibly beautiful! I love it!  :lovey:
:zzz:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal