collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Newbie pierced ears question  (Read 798 times)

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Newbie pierced ears question
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:16 AM »
This isn't a problem per say so I'm posting here. If it should be in the WYP forum, please move this mods :)

My ear piercings have finally healed and I dare now to change earrings. The only problem is that while changing them, the lobes often go red (and a bit warm) but the redness subsides after a few minutes when the new earrings have been in for a while and no problems afterwards until I have to change them again (e.g. if I wear very lightweight danglies to a party and change over to studs before I go to bed) :huh: I'm currently only using earrings made of sterling silver (bought at reputeable stores) or surgical steel (316L) so it's not allergies I think, especially since the redness goes away.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm a newbie and I fumble a bit with taking them off and on, especially those butterfly backs that can be hard to get off sometimes?

So is it normal for ears to go red and then go back to normal the first few times you change earrings or is it a sign of a problem? Does this stop happening when I get more experienced at it? They been pierced for a few years but due to me being stupid a few times, took longer to heal than they should have (won't go into details). I was pierced at a real piercer who's well known for being very good if that helps any :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
Re: Newbie pierced ears question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:22 AM »
Dont think there is any problem. I used to have this too when I first had my ears pierced.
The earrings you have your ears pierced with are generally different to normal earrings. (the more expensive earrings are made like this too as they are generally heavier & very expensive, so its a safety reason)
They are harder to get off because they are made to stay in whilst you are sleeping, I could never get mine on and off lol had to get mum to help & my ears always went bright red its just because your tugging at your ear.

Once you get used to changing earrings the redness will go you just have to get used to putting them in and out of your ears (I used to have to use a mirror to put them in, I dont anymore)

So basically its normal  ^.^ if your ears do get sore though dont change them as much for a while as this will b due to moving your ear too much. (i would stay stick with sterling silver, gold, nickle free jewellery tbh then you wont risk any reactions or "green ears")
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
I have a quit a few ear piercings myself. Some times when I change out I don't always get the sanitize all the way off and it feels that way. Also, often when I have a newer piercing and I change out jewelry it does get irritated. It may have not healed as much as I think has. That is normal. Now, if you see any discharge, pus, or get any lumps by the piercing I would be concerned.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »
It probably is irritation if you're pulling and tugging on the earrings. As long as there's no pain or pus and the redness goes away quickly, I wouldn't worry.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »
As others have said it's likely not a problem, but to be safe I'd be sure to clean my ears and the earrings before putting them in and after taking them out if you don't already, especially as you mentioned you had issues with healing in the first place.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
For having my ears pierced 7 times each side and after all these years when I change them out I have the same issues, a bit of burning and redness (I use cheapo earrings too).
You may also have a bit of scar tissue if they were re-pierced which will cause the healing to take longer and the bit of irritation upon changing...
What are you using to clean them? I've always just gone with regular contact lens/saline solution.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
It sounds like you are super sensitive.

I was able to wear earring fine until one of the backings got into my lobe.  Since then I cant wear anything without my ears going red, itching and hurting.

Just keep track of things.  You might only beable to wear 18K gold (some can get away with 14k but I cant).

Also check to make sure there isn't any nickel in the metal.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
Just wanted to add that yes, you can be allergic/sensitive to sterling silver; I am, and it's terrible. That doesn't sound like your problem here, but I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have problems with even generally "safe" metals.

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
I think it's probably because your piercings are still new. Mine even get a bit irritable sometimes when changing around earrings and I've had my ears pierced for seven years.

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »
If you have this issue I'd avoid frequent jewelry changes and stick to steel for the time being.  Maybe also look into titanium - a bit pricier but totally hypoallergenic.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:50:25 AM »
Ok good to hear this may be normal :)

You may also have a bit of scar tissue if they were re-pierced which will cause the healing to take longer and the bit of irritation upon changing...
What are you using to clean them? I've always just gone with regular contact lens/saline solution.

They weren't re-pierced. I had been wanting to get them pierced for years but my NPD mother kept telling me each time I brought the idea up that it'd hurt like crazy and pierced ears where for "cheap" women :blink: Why I listened to her for all those years I don't know, especially when her ears aren't pierced so how does she know how much it hurts :huh:

So I was around 29 years old when I got them pierced (so a little over 4 years ago) and I've kept earrings in them ever since. My problem has been switching the earrings the piercer put in too early, partly due to one of the earrings disappeared for some reason when I put other earrings in for my wedding day (made of sterling silver) :huh: I had used a couple of silver earrings that seemed to delay healing and also had a bad habit of touching them too much >_< I finally switched to steel based on a recommendation by my BIL (who has a couple of piercings himself) and also by my piercer a couple of years ago which really helped. I had been having minor problems with my left lobe though that got a little infected every 2-3 months but has been fine now for 3-4 months which is why I felt comfortable switching them recently. I think my late healing was using silver earrings that maybe had a component I can't take or maybe since they weren't healed it irritated the ears and delayed healing? Although the sterling silver and steel ones I use now I seem to be fine with, it's only the actual changing that turns them red, they're fine after that.

My piercer recommended a special soap you don't have in the US I think. It's called Vivag and is originally made for women to clean their lady parts :) It's a very mild soap with a pH of around 4. I have also used warm saline water on occasion when my ears where extra bad.

To clarify, my ears only go red and a bit warm under the actual changing, afterwards they're perfectly fine with no itching at all, neither before, during or after the change of earrings.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:24:12 AM by ponybabe »

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

LuckyTwirlerina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
Yep, that' totally normal. Once you get used to changing earrings and don't fumble around as much, that pretty much stops happening. It's mostly just because the ears get a little more sensitive after having a hole poked through them and they just turn a little red because the blood flow increases when you stimulate the area by poking/prodding with fingers and jewelry, nothing to worry about.  :lol:

Piercings higher up on the ear tend to do the same thing for ages, even after you're pro at changing jewelry, though. (I have a row of 4 on one side, and changing the fourth one up still makes the side of my ear turn red, but the rest don't do that.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal