collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...  (Read 10770 times)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
I can't bring myself to watch it. I'm not a big g4 fan, plus the idea of bronies is a bad thing in my head from seeing them on Tumblr and watching the MLP tags being taken over by p0rn. I used to love Rarity and would check that tag a lot but it quickly flooded with p0rn images so I never check the tag anymore. I understand they're not all like that but still, I'd like to stay far from them.  -_-

[content edit ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:52:14 PM by hathorcat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
I tried to watch it- my hubby actually managed to sit through about a half hour, even. After about an hour, I was cringing and bored off my bum.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
I don't mind it. I don't consider myself a brony and I don't really care for the fandom, but since the documentary is ABOUT bronies, not ALL MLP fans, I don't know why some folks are getting so huffy that other gens weren't included. Yes, it was annoying how in the beginning the previous gens were picked on, but that's pretty much it and otherwise the video stuck to FiM and the events surrounding this particular show.

The video showed how there were definitely some parents who didn't "get" it, and even though there were a lot of males featured I certainly saw some girls too, including the one who was interviewed. Given that the brony fandom IS mostly males, I don't see how there being more of them in the video was weird (plus I like how in the little cartoon the girls still stuck up for themselves to make a point that they were just as much a part of the fandom as boys were, even if there's less of them who consider themselves bronies). I like how the video showed how creative many bronies are, I thought the guy who worked with lasers was pretty interesting since I've never seen anything like that before, and the music it features was pretty neat as well.

Was it sensationalized? Maybe a little, but pretty much every documentary under the sun is. Big surprise. Overall, I liked how a common theme seemed to generally be that the fandom has given a place for people to go to where they feel accepted. That's what it all boils down to. And that's never a bad thing.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
I can't bring myself to watch it. I'm not a big g4 fan, plus the idea of bronies is a bad thing in my head from seeing them on Tumblr and watching the MLP tags being taken over by p0rn. I used to love Rarity and would check that tag a lot but it quickly flooded with p0rn images so I never check the tag anymore. I understand they're not all like that but still, I'd like to stay far from them.  -_-

I'm a little scared to ask this, but I guess I shouldn't be since you stated that "Not all of them are like that", but if you found out someone was a brony would you automatically hate/want to stay away from him or her, even if he or she wasn't only "not like that", but also hated the fact that there were those that were "like that"?

If this question offends anyone I will delete it straight away, or PM someone to delete it... however it's done here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:53:57 PM by hathorcat »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
I liked it. I wasn't hoping to see women talk about their fandom, I wasn't watching to see a wide representation of the general public and their pony love, I watched out of interest.

I enjoyed the stories of those involved, I liked the interviews with various people of note. I just enjoyed it for what it was.

I wouldn't watch it again soon, but then I wouldn't watch many documentaries again in a hurry as for me documentaries aren't repeat viewing types of show.

I don't mind it. I don't consider myself a brony and I don't really care for the fandom, but since the documentary is ABOUT bronies, not ALL MLP fans, I don't know why some folks are getting so huffy that other gens weren't included. Yes, it was annoying how in the beginning the previous gens were picked on, but that's pretty much it and otherwise the video stuck to FiM and the events surrounding this particular show.

The video showed how there were definitely some parents who didn't "get" it, and even though there were a lot of males featured I certainly saw some girls too, including the one who was interviewed. Given that the brony fandom IS mostly males, I don't see how there being more of them in the video was weird (plus I like how in the little cartoon the girls still stuck up for themselves to make a point that they were just as much a part of the fandom as boys were, even if there's less of them who consider themselves bronies). I like how the video showed how creative many bronies are, I thought the guy who worked with lasers was pretty interesting since I've never seen anything like that before, and the music it features was pretty neat as well.

Was it sensationalized? Maybe a little, but pretty much every documentary under the sun is. Big surprise. Overall, I liked how a common theme seemed to generally be that the fandom has given a place for people to go to where they feel accepted. That's what it all boils down to. And that's never a bad thing.

:like:

moonlight twinkle

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
 It was alright, and actually increased my respect for bronies. I wish there was a documentary about the REAL ponyfans( aka collectors) who dont hate on previous generations of mlp and the fans of these older generations.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
It was alright, and actually increased my respect for bronies. I wish there was a documentary about the REAL ponyfans( aka collectors) who dont hate on previous generations of mlp and the fans of these older generations.

There is one about collectors, its called "My Little Obsession". I have it and I really love it.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

I'm a little scared to ask this, but I guess I shouldn't be since you stated that "Not all of them are like that", but if you found out someone was a brony would you automatically hate/want to stay away from him or her, even if he or she wasn't only "not like that", but also hated the fact that there were those that were "like that"?

If this question offends anyone I will delete it straight away, or PM someone to delete it... however it's done here.

I don't like the term much because it does have that negative connotation for me, but I do not mind guys liking MLP or calling themselves bronies if they want to at all! I just don't like the ones who constantly draw/post p0rn of it or knock g1, those are the only types I'd stay away from. lol. And that's just personal preference. Still, the idea of the movie is a bit of a turn off for me for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:29:08 PM by ponycake »

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »
I don't like the term much because it does have that negative connotation for me, but I do not mind guys liking MLP or calling themselves bronies if they want to at all! I just don't like the ones who constantly draw/post p0rn of it or knock g1, those are the only types I'd stay away from. lol. And that's just personal preference. Still, the idea of the movie is a bit of a turn off for me for some reason.
I understand.  I hope you didn't mind me asking.

Also, the ones you said you stay away from, are the types I stay away from as well (unless I'm trying to talk sense into the pre-FIM haters).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »
I watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. It wasn't great in terms of being a documentary but it was nice to see people being so happy and to see the nicer side of the fandom when all I usually see is the negative side.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 07:33:20 AM »
I saw it, it's not perfect (some parts were a bit too drawn out and lost the energy) but worth a watch. Female pony fans (pegasisters or collectors) were under represented. Based on the fact the movie was about "Bronies" and not the ladder, I was okay with it.

I (obviously) resonate more with MustBeJewel's awesome documentary "My Little Pony Obsession" :D ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wd0caSZiE )

I do have one thing to say: now that it is on Netflix, more people I know are watching it... and there are a few more people who used to be closed minded about how "weird" it was for adult males to like ponies, and no longer feel that way. So I must say mission accomplished.

I agree about "My Little Obsession".  I saw it when it was premiered at the first day of the last Rhode Island fair and bought it at the fair when it was being sold on DVD.  To this day I treasure this as one of my favorite DVD's to watch.  A big thank you to Summer and the people who worked hard making this for us.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:35:01 AM by Majesty »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
I watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. It wasn't great in terms of being a documentary but it was nice to see people being so happy and to see the nicer side of the fandom when all I usually see is the negative side.

That's one thing that bugged me when I looked it up on Netflix. People were complaining that it DIDN'T show the negative side of bronies. I'm wondering what they would have wanted-- some kind of hard-hitting expose that would view more like a 60 Minutes segment or reality show? This might be exaggerating a little, but it made me sad that people WANTED to see negative things. Did they want to see their opinions reinforced? I know the whole fandom isn't perfectly angelic, but I think we all already know that.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 06:06:29 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned already, but why do so many bronies get the G2s wrong? Is it because of this doc?  I had to enlighten one just today- and I still don't think he believed me, even though I told him to look up the ponies in toy form.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 06:31:54 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned already, but why do so many bronies get the G2s wrong? Is it because of this doc?  I had to enlighten one just today- and I still don't think he believed me, even though I told him to look up the ponies in toy form.
We got it wrong long before the documentry, sadly.  Even I am guilty of calling Tales G2, despite the fact I already knew that they "skipped a generation" (I discovered Tales by accident, so maybe I thought that those who said there was no G2 show just got it wrong?)

Most bronies (whether they like the previous generations or not) became official fans for G4, meaning they didn't grow up collecting G1 to G3.5 toys, and don't realize that the generation numbers are about the toys, and not the show.  It's a very old mistake in the fandom, and even some people who were fans of ponies from the start have called Tales G2, as they mostly cared about the show, not the toys, and probably didn't even know that there was generation term for them back then anyway.

So yeah, it's not this documentries fault, it doesn't help the cause, but it's not because of the documentry, it's just a case of being new to a fandom which has existed since the 80s (pony fans in general, not just bronies).

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 07:50:55 AM »
That's one thing that bugged me when I looked it up on Netflix. People were complaining that it DIDN'T show the negative side of bronies. I'm wondering what they would have wanted-- some kind of hard-hitting expose that would view more like a 60 Minutes segment or reality show? This might be exaggerating a little, but it made me sad that people WANTED to see negative things. Did they want to see their opinions reinforced? I know the whole fandom isn't perfectly angelic, but I think we all already know that.

As a documentary, it should have functioned as a "tell all"--I'm an avid documentary watcher, and when I watch one, I expect to get all the facts, which of course also includes the mistakes people made, and negativity surrounding what the documentary is about.

You do a documentary about Ted Bundy, you don't just say "he was handsome, a really suave guy and even studied to be a lawyer! :)" :lol:

Naturally DeLancie and co. couldn't do this--since bronies paid for it, they would have strung him up like a side of beef if he dared to expose the negative stuff we all know about.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal