collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help with my White Cap please- Update with pics of inside her  (Read 326 times)

Offline PrincessTiffy

• Trade Count: (+233)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Help with my White Cap please- Update with pics of inside her
« on: November 06, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

So on Halloween I got a major score of ponies and one was a White Cap. I made a brag with my haul in the brag area if you want to see :)

So my White Cap has some brown marks and after doing some searching on old topics here it sounds like sun fading her might be a bad idea. I saw other topics with using peroxide baths or creams but again might not be a good idea. I would like to try and get rid of them but I don't want to make her worse either. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you!
Tiffany :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:57:35 PM by PrincessTiffy »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my White Cap please
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
Have you checked to see if she's moldy on the inside? (I know the baby sea ponies have a hole near the mane, but I don't have any of the adult sea ponies so I'm not sure if you can just peek insider her that way or if you'll have to remove her head to find out.) That might be causing some of her discoloration (and I can't tell just from pictures if mold is the culprit).  If that is the case, cleaning it out should fix the problem.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:07:32 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:09:32 PM »
I'd try to open her up. My immediate assumption was possibly rust from the weight inside of her.

Offline Sochy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
I think is something that go whit the white plastic. My Big Brother Chief have really similar marks on his both sides. I would post some photos later to compare. I never try to open him, but maybe is some dirt indise?

My Art/Free Art (Closed)/Wishlist

Amazing little Dulce de Leche pixel by Weebkinz!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
In my experience, it's actually the glue inside these guys that causes a lot of their discoloration - that long stripe up the body is a dead giveaway.  The metal weight at the bottom was originally cemented into place with some type of epoxy glue which often drips up the length of the body.  If you open her up you'll probably find dried glue where that brown stripe is, or flakes of it at the bottom.  The round spots are VDS - vinyl deterioration aka age spots.

Acne creams are a 'No Never' for all ponies - they linger in the plastic and can cause horrible discolouration later on down the line.  Peroxide might be worth a try, but be wary of sunfading.  White Cap's got that semi-translucent white plastic color that very often burns.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline PrincessTiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
Thank you!

That was my first guess, rust. But I thought the kinda straight line was really weird. Then the age spots, but again what about the weird line. I never thought about it being from some type of glue. I didn't really see anything from looking into that little hole but now I'm curious about the glue so I might open her up.

I know acne cream is a big no, but I think it was a peroxide cream that was mentioned. Is there a different peroxide cream that isn't made for acne? I defiantly don't want to try sunfading since there's a good chance she could burn.

Offline PrincessTiffy

• View Profile
Re: Help with my White Cap please- Update with pics of inside her
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
Ok so since her head was already starting to come unglued I decided to run her under some warm water and pop it off. Plus looking inside that little whole on her head I couldn't really tell if she had dirt, mold or just more discoloration.

Here's the pics of her insides lol. And there was a big chunk of glue! And surprisingly her washer was not rusty and kinda loose so I didn't pull it out to clean it

cherry-berry

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »
Ew, I had no idea sea ponies could have that much glue inside them! You learn something new everyday, I guess.  :P

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
The large chunk of glue is normal - it was added at the factory to hold down the weight and keep it in the tail, presumably.  Looks like mildew to me, which is very typical of Sea Ponies given they were sold/used as bath toys.  The small blow hole really didn't let the insides dry out completely between uses. 

You can pop out the weight easily enough by pushing on it from the outside.  Recommended since the grunge likes to collect in those inaccessible nooks and crannies.  Soap, an old toothbrush and some elbow grease should budge most of the ick.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
I absolutely think you are doing the right thing in giving her a proper scrub down :)

As to the marks, unfortunately my honest advise is that you do have to accept them on this pony. :( The marks are a result of break down and chemicals in her plastic and while you can perhaps remove some of the worst of the surface stain with acetone or even sun fading (I would do that with reluctance however) it will unfortunately come back. Acne cream can cause white ponies to yellow and she is not a matt white colour anyway so you could end up bleaching her too far. 

You just get some ponies that have this issue and White Cap is one of them.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline PrincessTiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »
Thank you guys!

Oh yes I pushed her weight up since it was unglued so I could clean under it. I just didn't pull it all the way out of her body since it wasn't rusty and after scrubbing and rinsing just pushed it back down into her tail.
She's the only adult sea pony I have, I did have the pink one but sold her since I like the baby sea ponies better. I'm tempted to pop off their heads and clean their insides too after seeing poor white cap.

And a white cap just sold on eBay for like a $122! Granted she had her brush but I thought her price has gone down since I also saw two go for around $40. If her price is back up I'm tempted to sell her since that's almost a dress payment for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal