collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do/did you think of 50 Shades of Grey?  (Read 1675 times)

blushingflutters

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What do/did you think of 50 Shades of Grey?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
I actually read it secretly when it first came out. My mum was really into the series and she told me I wasn't allowed to read it, and my mum's never said that regarding a book before, so I was a bad girl and read it behind her back  :redface:

I thought it was corny and the writing was kind of bland. To each their own of course. But then again I'm the girl who loved New Moon, haha. c:

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »
 Why such a brainless woman and such an egoistic man as main characters...that again force these gender oles upon us...
[/quote]

....because they are heavily based on the characters of Edward Cullen and Bella swan from Twilight  :lol: :lol:
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

blushingflutters

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
Why such a brainless woman and such an egoistic man as main characters...that again force these gender oles upon us...

....because they are heavily based on the characters of Edward Cullen and Bella swan from Twilight  :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Wait you're right!
I forgot it was originally a fanfiction for Twilight!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 10:58:47 AM »
I wouldn't read it if it were the last book on the planet.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
I wouldn't read it if it were the last book on the planet.

This. Even though I enjoy Twilight (dodges fakies). I'm not really into romance novels though (except Jane Austen). I did read the synopsis for this and I was SUPER annoyed at the main character. She is pretty much the polar opposite of myself. I don't understand why people call it "mommy p&$n". Ummmm, my idea of the ultimate fantasy is a guy who loves me unconditionally, treats me like a princess (emotionally, not the fancy lifestyle), LISTENS to what I need and cleans the bathroom. And I mean scrubs. (And has a British accent.  :lookround: )

I'm 1000% sure I could find a guy who could treat me badly. This doesn't fascinate me. I am 99.9% sure I'll never have the fantasy guy I mentioned above. But the idea of it FASCINATES me. This is why Mr. Darcy has survived for centuries.

None of my close friends like this book. One does like to make her boyfriend read it aloud so she can roll on the floor laughing hysterically.

I do think it's interesting that fan fiction got published and was so popular. But I think most people who read it did so because it was taboo, or the other people are reading it, or to see what everyone was talking about. I seriously don't get it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:22:22 AM by Salli »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 07:27:37 PM »
Read it out of pure curiosity and found it horrid. Only going to see the movie because of Jamie Dornan.

I went with my wife and MIL to 50 Shades the Musical, and UM, hilarious. It's a parody.

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »
I found a free PDF of it somewhere and put it on my phone a few years back as there was no way in hell that I was going to buy the book.  I choked down sixteen chapters before just outright giving up.  It was extremely bland (yes, even "those" parts) and it all just felt repetitive.  My mother's read all three books and can't understand why I didn't enjoy it.

I've read better fanfics. :P

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 03:11:43 AM »
I am a lover of bad movies, and a friend of mine got me the book for my birthday as a joke.  I looked at it as I would look at a film like Sharknado, and I was not disappointed.  The only surprise for me was how similar everything was to Twilight.  There are a few actual bits of dialog that are copied straight from Twilight.  I quick internet search showed me why that was:p

50 Shades is basically Twilight reskinned as a dime store romance novel with a bunch of extra smut thrown in.  I have a feeling that the author has never actually done any of the things mentioned in the novel(or at least any of the naughtier things).  More than once I went "I don't think human bodies bend like that".    The "naughty" bits in the first book were ok, but it got pretty boring as the series went on.  I did start to skim through the naughty bits after a while, particularly in the second and third books.  It was like a adult movie - 10 minutes of adult stuff for every 1 minute of plot moving scenes.  I remember wondering how anybody could get anything done in their days if they spend so many hours naked.  Seriously, how did they find the energy to do that every.single.night.(and sometimes multiple times throughout the day)?

The smut wasn't as shocking as I had been led to believe either.  It went into a lot more detail than your average romance novel, and it did involve things that weren't in your average romance novel, but I had been hearing people go on and on about how freaky it all was.  It was different, but not *that* bad. 

All in all I enjoyed it for the same reasons I like bad movies.  It was silly, stupid, and had some elements to it that were just plain ridiculous, but I was mostly entertained as I am entertained while watching Sharktopus.  It's more a set up for a drinking game than it is a fine piece of literature.

Offline Pegaso80

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 03:58:44 AM »
I liked it. The book is not a masterpiece, not even a well written book in my opinion but I was looking for something easy and quick to read and there it was: it entertained me enough. The thing is that the romance is quite superficial, as well as the characters and it cannot be expected to happen in real life but that's what a book means to me: fiction!  ;)
:rainbow: Nemo patriam quia magna est amat, sed quia sua (Séneca)
Beati Hispani quibus vivere bibere est (Iulius Caesar) :rainbow:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
I never read it, but I did follow a thread on a different forum where someone read it and posted a summary / their reactions to it chapter by chapter.  They were probably exaggerating someone for human but wow, it sounded awful.

I read some excerpts online and the writing style was terrible.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
I'm glad to know how others feel about this book. I'm still not going to read it; especially after all these posts.

Read it out of pure curiosity and found it horrid. Only going to see the movie because of Jamie Dornan.

I went with my wife and MIL to 50 Shades the Musical, and UM, hilarious. It's a parody.

I wish we could go to see the movie together!! LOL You'd be the only one in the theatre that would understand why I'd either be drooling, crying, or screaming the entire time (yes, Jamie evokes all those emotions)...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

baby_yoyo

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
Read all 3 books in a week and oh my days the grammar is shocking! I skipped most of the smutty stuff as it got repetitive and the word used for 'a ladies private area' made me cringe every time I read it.

I will be seeing the film though :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal