collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think FiM has ruined the toyline?  (Read 2367 times)

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Do you think FiM has ruined the toyline?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »
I will agree that Hasbro is totally missing out on some playsets. Sure, we have castles. 3 now is it? Celestia's, Cadance's, and (soon) Twilight's? Sure kids love that, but what about the places they see nearly every episode?
"Twiwite doesn't live in a cassle she lives in a tree libwary!"
"I wanna play at the Candy shop!"  (aka Sugarcube Corner)
"Where's Rarity's dress shop?"

Hasbro, c'mon.....a 3 year old WANTS these things! My little cousin tells me EVERY SATURDAY after facetiming after the new episode. We got the Apple Barn and the castles...but where's the rest? Why not make a set with each character?  My cousin's mom sure as Hades would buy 6 different sets, one for each. The camping set DOESN'T count because it was WAY before the episode. We got Abbi the RBD Camping set when it came out (ebay unfortunately but still) but she was confused. When we brought it back out AFTER the camping episode (seasons later) she was happy with it.

Hasbro, breaking kid's hearts with their own creation since...well for her,  2011.

ZamuelNow

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Rarity%27s_Carousel_Boutique

One of the other problems is availability.  A few playsets seemed to have been released year one in limited quantities.  For instance, while we sadly don't have (and will probably never get) Golden Oaks Library, a Twinkling Balloon toy does exist.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Rarity%27s_Carousel_Boutique

One of the other problems is availability.  A few playsets seemed to have been released year one in limited quantities.  For instance, while we sadly don't have (and will probably never get) Golden Oaks Library, a Twinkling Balloon toy does exist.
The problem with the set was that it wasn't the "dress shop." It was a "horsey ride like when the fireworks are!"

The balloon was great. She loves it! We even got another one so we could customize her other one to have her name on it to hang above her toychest. Similar to AJ's barn, it was directly from the show and it was great.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »
  On the show, they acknowledge that they're horses and pull carriages or carts.  I'm pretty sure we're never going to see anything horse drawn in the toys

Well, as for horse-draw toys, there's is the pull cart that comes wit the Applejack's barn playset , but that's   the only one I remember for G4  :huh: http://www.toyreviewdaily.com/2012/05/22/toy-review-my-little-pony-applejacks-sweet-apple-barn-playset/

I will agree that Hasbro is totally missing out on some playsets. Sure, we have castles. 3 now is it? Celestia's, Cadance's, and (soon) Twilight's? Sure kids love that, but what about the places they see nearly every episode?
"Twiwite doesn't live in a cassle she lives in a tree libwary!"
"I wanna play at the Candy shop!"  (aka Sugarcube Corner)
"Where's Rarity's dress shop?"

Hasbro, c'mon.....a 3 year old WANTS these things! My little cousin tells me EVERY SATURDAY after facetiming after the new episode. We got the Apple Barn and the castles...but where's the rest? Why not make a set with each character?  My cousin's mom sure as Hades would buy 6 different sets, one for each. The camping set DOESN'T count because it was WAY before the episode. We got Abbi the RBD Camping set when it came out (ebay unfortunately but still) but she was confused. When we brought it back out AFTER the camping episode (seasons later) she was happy with it.

Hasbro, breaking kid's hearts with their own creation since...well for her,  2011.

So true, and what is even more upseting is that they are more girl figures in boy's toylines than male ponies, just see the Transformers lines in the last years, they do have fembots in toy versions :(
  http://tfwiki.net/wiki/List_of_female_Transformers

Offline glory78

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
*gets out soapbox*

Ahem, maybe some of you are too young to remember how exciting it was to have ponies back on the shelves at all... But IT IS EXCITING. People always complain about the new toys (I've been guilty of it myself) but the truth is, it's so fun to see ponies of any type on shelves. I love being able to walk into a random store and see a pony. It makes my day. Even if it's not a pony I want to buy, it is still a pony. Do I wish that we got more variety in characters? Yes. But remember, when you see that 75,000th Rainbow Dash, that all too soon this fad will pass and the ponies will all be on clearance and then gone. Maybe the line will be reincarnated as something else, maybe not. Personally, I'm so grateful for the popularity of FiM. It means more toys and bronies mean more merchandise!!! So, quit whining. *Nothing* has been "ruined". Things change and evolve and we should be happy that My Little Pony is still an incarnation of toy 25 odd years later. It really is amazing when you stop to consider it.

*gets off soapbox*
Glory78

ZamuelNow

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 07:01:57 PM »
The problem with the set was that it wasn't the "dress shop." It was a "horsey ride like when the fireworks are!"

Ah, fair enough.  Some of the playsets do have accuracy problems when compared to their show counterparts.

So true, and what is even more upseting is that they are more girl figures in boy's toylines than male ponies, just see the Transformers lines in the last years, they do have fembots in toy versions :(
  http://tfwiki.net/wiki/List_of_female_Transformers

That's an interesting little problem.  For the longest time, boys toys would exclude female characters, even if the character was important to the series.  There's been a retailer level stigma that's gotten challenged due to pointing out issues with the toys or promotion (or distribution chain...) as opposed to the characters.  It's been slowly shifting over the past few years but it's been exposing that girls toys often have the same problem.  Male characters often get limited to just being a prince or groom.  It technically happened with Shining Armor but luckily he has gotten time to develop into a full character.  There's no good reason why Big McIntosh doesn't have a brushable toy since he is fairly popular and has a number of ways they could handle his release if they feel it has to be a set rather than a single.  Though I wonder if there's a bit of an uphill battle within the franchise since G3 lacked male ponies and G1 didn't have them until mid life cycle.

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »

as for the rest of my g4 collection.. theres actually quite a bit of variety.
I think the real problem isnt the constant re releases of the main six. its the fact that when a new one does come out shes bloody well hard to get your claws on...
case in point... i had to go through hell to get my paws on a minty and a rainbow flash.
i think the variety is fine i just wish it had better availablity.
as for the show its cute enough... i hope it lasts for a while.

Minty was a Costco exclusive and Rainbowflash is an international release, hence making them harder to find. The availability of ones that are not small release exclusives is overwhelming and the fact that you can only get the mane 6 makes it worse. Just because you add tinsel or rainbow paint to the same old same old does not mean you just made a whole new character, and I think that is what people are starving for. And while I guess that gives it some kind of a variety, it is a very minimal attempt at variety when there are no other characters to get....
wow really? I have honestly NOT had this problem...
What i said is my main issue.. finding the ones that are out.
I have noticed that there are in fact a plethora of the main sixes.. not debating that.. but some of the others there have been some real cuties.. Lily blossom and daimond rose.. were my faves on that.. but again were SUPER hard to find.
then again.. around here i have a hard time finding ANY kind of pony.. the wally worlds and the targets are always picked clean.. most of mine i have gotten at toys r us or family dollar of all places.
I have to agree tho.. some other characters would be nice.. i would like to see more.. but i love the ones i already have.
and i had no idea RF was an international exclusive.. wow that explains a lot.
knew about minty tho.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
I think first we have to think of whether the toyline is "ruined" or not. If we presume that it has or is on the way to it, I think FiM helps enrich it, if anything. The biggest problem is the "Mane 6 with minor variations forever" syndrome, which is nothing new. :( Even though I could do with more variety, I am still, overall, okay with the toy line. At least, it's far from being ruined, to me.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 06:04:39 AM »
Hasbro's decisions, #1, have stuffed it up again, not the show.

More locally I wonder what on earth the distributor is doing. We're not getting as much new stuff as we used to. Masquerade Mane 6 ponies that have been sitting around for around 8 months. Not really much of the licensed merch that the US has (I am really sore about none of the bigger Funko figurines being available here aside from imports). Visiting the pony aisle's becoming a bit of a waste of time.
There's quite a bit of EqG, sure, but at that price-point and quality I'm amazed people are biting (a dollyfriend shared a photo of a Twilight's hair - it's sparser than a fakie!!)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »
*gets out soapbox*

So, quit whining. *Nothing* has been "ruined". Things change and evolve and we should be happy that My Little Pony is still an incarnation of toy 25 odd years later. It really is amazing when you stop to consider it.

*gets off soapbox*

What!? This thread isn't whining.

THIS is whining....

WHyhahaAAYYYY CAN'T WE HAVE NEW POOOONNNIIEESSSS. WAaaaaa...I don't waaannnt another RAINBOW DAShhhhh or Pinkie PIEhheee. Waaaaaa....Nooooooo...mean Hasssbroooo. Waaaaaa...I don't CARE if there is merchandiyhihisee...I want new PONIES!!!!

(my best impression of whining rarity)

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

tinyblondie

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
*gets out soapbox*

So, quit whining. *Nothing* has been "ruined". Things change and evolve and we should be happy that My Little Pony is still an incarnation of toy 25 odd years later. It really is amazing when you stop to consider it.

*gets off soapbox*

THIS is whining....

WHyhahaAAYYYY CAN'T WE HAVE NEW POOOONNNIIEESSSS. WAaaaaa...I don't waaannnt another RAINBOW DAShhhhh or Pinkie PIEhheee. Waaaaaa....Nooooooo...mean Hasssbroooo. Waaaaaa...I don't CARE if there is merchandiyhihisee...I want new PONIES!!!!

Whining Rarity is my favorite part of FIM, if Build a Bear had a recording just of her whining I would have bought it without hesitation.

Ive noticed some improvements in the toys available at my local Toy Store recently, they had an adorable little Cutie Mark Crusaders set that Ive never seen before (its the royal wedding one) and some lovely new plush with molded fabric hair. I'm also considering getting the massive Twilight Sparkle with the light up wings and horn, I love Giant ponies  ^.^

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
*gets out soapbox*

*gets off soapbox*

THIS is whining....

I did not like this episode until this part. You win the internets.

Offline RainbowAlicorn999

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
I don't think the show ruined the toyline. Think about all the unique and amazing characters and toys they could have made but they threw away their opportunity. I think Hasbro and the over focusing on the mane 6, CMC and Princesses ruined the toyline.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Given where Core 7 was moving the line, I too think FiM saved the line. MLP is now more popular than ever before.

G4Sweeties

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
I'm not even sure...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal