collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you do with YOUR Thanksgiving leftovers?  (Read 332 times)

Honey Bunches

• Trade Count: (0)
What do you do with YOUR Thanksgiving leftovers?
« on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
Thanksgiving has come and gone and I for one have Loads of leftovers.

Whether roasting a turkey or a chicken, there are endless possibilities for those tidbits not eaten the first time around. Especially when you buy cheap and cook big!

So, what do You do with the leftovers at your house? Have you had some recented inspiration?

I'd love to compile your ideas and recipes into a homemade cookbook. My little brother just moved out of my parents' home and into a place with a bundle of bachelors (who could use some help when it comes to mealtime).

Meanwhile...  Here's what I did this year! Uh... Please keep in mind that we had a 22 pound bird and only 5 people to consume it (2 of whom are dieting!), so we had a Lot of leftover food.  :)

LEFTOVER(S):                              SECOND-LIFE SOLUTION:
----------------                                                   -----------------------------

Turkey, Roasted Vegetables, Gravy                      Rich Thanksgiving Soup - 2 to 4 full bacthes
                                                                             Add two cartons of chicken stock to leftover roasted veggies,
                                                                             4 - 5 cups of pulled leftover turkey meat, and 2 - cup of turkey
                                                                             gravy. Simmer on medium-low for about 1 hours with added
                                                                             herbs and seasoning of choice (I used thyme, garlic, and black
                                                                             pepper). Divide and conquer uh, Freeze!  When ready to eat,
                                                                             make up some fresh orzo, acini de pepe , or other small pasta
                                                                             to get the most out of that leftovers soup!

Turkey, Roasted Vegetables, Gravy,                     Turkey "Shepheards'" Pie - 9 x 12 baking dish full
     Stuffing, and Mashed Potatoes                             Combine pulled turkey leftovers with roasted vegetables and
                                                                              simmer until warm. Sprinkle with 1 - 2 tablespoons flours and
                                                                              stir to incorporate, cooking another minute or two. Add gravy,
                                                                              some chicken broth and your own herbs and spices (I used
                                                                              rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper). Simmer until thickened
                                                                              slightly. Place spoonful of stuffing in baking dish or aluminum
                                                                              pan, 1" - 2" apart. Spoon turkey mixture over the top. Top with
                                                                              a smooth layer of leftover mashed poatoes (I like to mix in a
                                                                              cup or so of finely grated sharp cheese, like cheddar or
                                                                              Romano, them dust with paprika). Bake at 350 F for 20 mins.

Turkey and Cheese (from appetizer platter)         Turkey Carbonara-style Pasta - 9 x 12 baking dish
                                                                              In a small saucepan, simmer leftover cheeses (all different
                                                                              types, rinds are okay) with milk over low heart for about 1 hour
                                                                              as the cheese disolves to make a sauce. Add some fressh herbs
                                                                              and garlic early on to infuse some extra flavor! Boil a pot of
                                                                              pasta (penne, rigatone, extra wide egg noodles...) until just
                                                                              done. Drain and toss with pulled turkey, bacon and frozen peas.
                                                                              Pour in your stained cheese sauce.
                                                                              Cover and freeze. Or eat right away!

Stuffing and Green Bean Casserole                       Twice-Baked Stuffing Casserole - 9 x 12 baking dish
                                                                              Spread a layer of leftover stuffin on the bottom of the baking
                                                                              dish and top with a layer of the good 'ol green bean casserole.
                                                                              Sprinkle on some leftover fried onions and you've got a side
                                                                              dish that's ready to freeze. Or, try this with green beans and
                                                                              mashed potatoes. It's a great go-to when all you've got is a
                                                                              roasted chicken or meat loaf!

Bread Pudding                                                    Bread Pudding
                                                                             I eat this. As it is. For days. Until it is gone. Great cold or hot,
                                                                             for breakfast, mid-day munchies, dessert, midnight snack...
                                                                             This is a dessert that is So good left over!

Alrighty Now... It's Your Turn!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with YOUR Thanksgiving leftovers?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
Oh thank you for this.
D: I am left with pretty much a whole turkey to myself, since my parents went on vacation. I literally eat no more than a few bites of turkey each year and let everyone else eat it... but this time I am stuck with it. I really want to try the Turkey Carbonara-style Pasta. Normally I just make turkey sandwiches. *__*; gets pretty boring.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
I'm thinking about having a turkey sandwich drenched in Miracle Whip when I get home. But other than that, we just eat the leftovers as is.

For some reason, I burned out on the food quickly this year.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

ZettaMomo

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:22:49 PM »
We had both turkey and lamb for thanksgiving so mom is putting together a shepard's pie tomorrow and then we will probably be having a lot of turkey sandwiches for the next week.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
We usually have a meal or two (next supper, maybe a lunch) with everything to use up the veggies and such. Then the turkey is the usual pick-and-eat while cold, and possibly a sandwich. All depends on who's eating it, the day, and how much there is.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
No leftovers for me I don't host thanksgiving. I have to go buy something to take to work this coming week.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
No leftovers here. A little bit of turkey we used for sandwiches, but I've gotten better about preparing enough food without much left over :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »
What..leftovers? :p
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 05:40:05 PM »
Hehehe, what leftovers?  :lookround:  I have a pretty big family, so everyone gets enough for lunch the next day and that's it.  Too bad, because I would love to make more turkey sandwiches and such.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »
We eat them. I eat all the various side dishes and hubby makes turkey sandwiches and has plans for gumbo or something with the bones? I dunno. I don't eat gumbo.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
I eat them till they are all gone! We did not have much food left after we were all done eating......LOL

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »
im in the uk so dont have thanksgiving and hate turky ! but last xmas i had half a goose to cook(tastes like duck and lamb mixed togeather realy nice but very rich !) and only 2 of us to eat it ! so when we had had enough on xmas day (including the cats) i made  goose potato and carrot  soup  the next day. it was good ! xaflamex

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 10:06:20 AM »
In the past, I've gone so far as to make all leftover veggies into a whole other casserole on its own.  Yes, strange, I know.  Any leftover Tofrkey (or other veg*n holiday roast) usually is sliced up onto sandwiches.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »
I'm veg and hubbs got a free turkey this year, so we pretty much have a whole turkey left over. I've been feeding it to our pets.  :lol:

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
My mom made me a turkey sandwich to take to work today. I normally wouldn't want this but I'm too poor to buy my lunch right now, so I'm taking what I have at home with me.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal